Really

dalehileman
#158750 04/22/06 11:01 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Quote:

There is, in ancient Christian tradition, a practice called "lectio divina" in which one reads a passage of scripture or some devotional literature very slowly and then rereads it, even more slowly, meditating on each word of each sentence.

What a coincidence. I do the same thing with scotch. That is, if I'm not chugging it.

#158751 04/23/06 01:53 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I do the same thing with scotch.

That would be a slightly-less-ancient Presbyterian tradition, eh?

#158752 04/23/06 06:18 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
In accordance with a protocol of which I was only recently apprised, herewith my halting participation:

Anna: “I wonder if one can take up speed reading at an advanced age?” I certainly hope so because I am there

“Can one retain as much speed reading as "normal" reading?” I understand that some evidently do

But alack, not I

Ted: “Of course one cannot read tech stuff that way” To the contrary, some speed-readers retain technical material almost in toto. However, reading fiction they miss the nuances

In any case, though, it is indeed hard work

Jackie: “...I like to ponder the ideas” In a sense, my own speed-reading can be described as ponderous

I also re-read, not for enjoyment but because I didn’t quite get it the first time

Fal: "He could just read fast. I loathed him, btw" Then you might like me

“My employer disagrees with everything I say, think, feel, do, or plan to do” I was fired from several firms before I began to realize this was true of me, too

Myr: “It's erSatZ !!!” Why exactly?

(Owing to the onset of Alzheimer’s, I’m afraid I’m a little slow)

Alex: “To me, reading fiction too quickly is like chugging fine wine.” Or a fine, full, mellow craft or imported brew

“What a coincidence. I do the same thing with scotch” and I with beer. We are kindred souls

“I'm going Nowhere Fast” Me neither

insel: “...posted by some professor somewhere that were free, simple, and sensible” Aha! Now we’re getting somewhere. Any time you should run onto one, and if it’s no trouble, I’d appreciate the link. I am dalehileman@verizon.net

Father: “...reads a passage of scripture or some devotional literature very slowly and then rereads it, even more slowly, meditating on each word of each sentence” Interesting you should mention that. The newspeak meaning of “meditation” is to stop all thinking whatever. There’s a name for that. What is it

I have read extensively about this new kind of non-meditation and find it very helpful, but only in getting to sleep at night. Most happy to discuss it further, but some might accuse me of carrying on (we do have one or two fierce critics). See my address above

Helen: Thank you for your more-than-adequate input

“...some programs have readers move their finger across a line,...” Yes, I have been told this. However, the Academic Community early discourages it, and I can’t imagine how it could possibly help

I’m a skeptic but not a cynnic

“... and then often in 6 months, reread at a slower place (but still fast by many standards)” I do this too (yet slow by many standards)

“...i realize there is something wrong, and every one else gets it,--” By a remarkable coincidence i often have this very same experience. I had attributed it to my superior intellect and ability to spot obscure or hidden meanings; but in my case, I am now beginning to realize it owes to the onset of my senility

“dale, do you work for reading transformations?” No, I am retired. How else would I have time for follow-ups like this one

“yeah, mav's links didn't work.. who wants them to?” I for one. Why not?

“...your only comment is mav has altered the ads to they aren't workable?” I had to study this one for a while before I realized there is a word missing. A speed-reader would have been left in a pitless quandary, wretched fellow

Alas, I am dreadfully slow on the pickup

“...congratulation, you've just become the first person on my ignore list..” Thank you. Who are the others

and how come I don't rate the plural, "congratulations"

“...and your behavior now, make it clear you don't want to join in open discussions...” Oh but I do. I just don’t want to bore anyone

“(...like your psuedo scientific study on green cars)” I am devastated by your use of the pejorative, “scientific”

“..you have an agenda” No, honestly, I don’t. I am as innocent as the newblown snow

I’d be most happy to dilate on my “green car” theme, though as I implied above, I hate to be tedious. Most happy to elaborate at any time, I am dalehileman@verizon.net

One of the reasons often I don’t join in is that my feeble attempts at humor are often misunderstood or misinterpreted as contumely or criticism

So I gain the reputation as a curmudgeon. It’s all so unfair

Last edited by dalehileman; 04/23/06 06:41 PM.

dalehileman
#158753 04/23/06 06:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Father: “...reads a passage of scripture or some devotional literature very slowly and then rereads it, even more slowly, meditating on each word of each sentence” Interesting you should mention that. The newspeak meaning of “meditation” is to stop all thinking whatever. There’s a name for that. What is it

I have read extensively about this new kind of non-meditation and find it very helpful, but only in getting to sleep at night. Most happy to discuss it further, but some might accuse me of carrying on (we do have one or two fierce critics). See my address above

This is the eastern technique, practiced in versions of Buddhism. It is a translation of any of several terms, the one I know is zazen, from Zen Buddhism, sometimes simply called "sitting". It is extremely difficult to do properly, not because of the bodily position that is sometimes demanded, but simply because it is very hard not to think. It does have its benefits if done correctly.

#158754 04/23/06 07:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
sometimes simply called "sitting". It is extremely difficult to do properly, not because of the bodily position that is sometimes demanded, but simply because it is very hard not to think. It does have its benefits if done correctly.

It appears to me that the Congress of the United States has indeed mastered the ability to sit without thinking for extended periods of time. They must not be doing it correctly, however, as no one save members of Congress seems to benefit.

#158755 04/23/06 08:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

sometimes simply called "sitting". It is extremely difficult to do properly, not because of the bodily position that is sometimes demanded, but simply because it is very hard not to think. It does have its benefits if done correctly.

It appears to me that the Congress of the United States has indeed mastered the ability to sit without thinking for extended periods of time. They must not be doing it correctly, however, as no one save members of Congress seems to benefit.

Come, come, Daddio Stevarino. You can't be expecting others to do your sitting for you.

#158756 04/23/06 10:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You can't be expecting others to do your sitting for you.

Rats!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 752 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith