Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#158729 04/19/06 06:41 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Are there any speed readers among us

http://www.wordwizard.com/ch_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18565&SearchTerms=speed,reading

Comments welcome; how do you do it? Do you have any special techniques? How fast can you read with full comprehension?

One speed-reader spots nouns while another watches for the verbs. Another is alert for subject and predicate, each as a unit

Don't you find that a wide column slows you down considerably?

How do you scan; Can you read several lines or an entire paragraphwithout scanning?

Many claim that they never sound out words in the mind's ear, but I find this hard to believe

Last edited by dalehileman; 04/20/06 05:55 PM.

dalehileman
#158730 04/19/06 11:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i was taught speed (controlled reading) for 4 to 5 years in elementary school. (i think we started in 4th grade, but i don't remember exactly, i was always in the top reading group, (and way ahead of the class in reading skills)

the class (huge, baby boomer generation, parocial school classes!) was broken up into groups (3? 4?) and 3 days a week we had 20 minutes of controlled reading.(about 10 to 15 kids to a group)

we sat in a darkened class room.

there was a projector, that had a letter box slot that was further masked, /......./, to make a window shaped like the this.

the window was wide enough for 2 short words (and, we, to, for, etc) or 1 long word (constitution, or similar)

the window moved across the letter box, showing us one or two words at at time. (so the speed was controlled)

after practice (first year)the speed was increased, (and increased, and increased) until by 8th grade my group was reading over 900 words per minute, with greater than 90% comprehension.

i still read fast, (but not so fast as did as child, i guess within the 600 to 700WPM range (i've taken computer times reading test, with comprehension test after, and scored in the 500WPM range, but i know i read much slower on a monitor than i do with text on paper)

i certainly don't sound out words, (but gobble them whole!) and my reading vocabulary is considerable bigger than my spoken one (and i have mangled pronounciations of words, since i only know them from reading, and don't really know them to say (and often have never heard them spoken)

erzats was a word i had a problem with --i misread it (as ezrats)-a not uncommon dylexis problem --but understood it meant, synthetic, immitation, (like erzats butter (ie, olio, or erzats whip cream (coolwhip))

didn't recognize the word when i first heard it spoken (i was merrily thinking ezrats-- something like the name ezra.. ) i remember this words now, because of the embaressing moment it produced.

i am sure there are plenty of other words i don't know how to say, but that i feel quite comfortable reading, (and sometimes, i even know how to spell them, but not often!)

my kids are good readers, (now as adults) and read with reasonable speed and skill, but i read faster than them (and i read faster than my ex ever did)

i think i was lucky to have controlled reading (i am pretty certain controlled reading is brand name for a speed reading system.) we were taught to read every word, but quickly. and to move our eyes, not our heads (the nuns would stand behind the class and tap us gently if we moved our heads)
i know some programs have readers move their finger across a line, and other programs have other methods.

(my school also had SRA (i think this was discussed here recently (i don't remember what sra stood for, but it was a reading program we could use any time, (like if we finished a test and others hadn't we could do SRA reading..) or while waiting for something (like a guest/specialty teacher)

#158731 04/20/06 12:35 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dale:

I had a friend who had an Evelyn Woods franchise in Northern Virginia many years ago (I was in college and Max was perhaps 40.) He gave me the course for free in exchange for driving him to the class meetings.

On simple material I could read upwards of 3000 wpm with fairly good comprehension (80 to 90 percent.) He even used my picture in the Washington Post for advertising. I'm sitting there with a stack of books, and the one open is a genetics textbook. Of course one cannot read tech stuff that way. It's only good for fiction, and a lot of the good stuff gets lost.

But I stopped doing it because it was WORK! Hard work. If I recall correctly you trained yourself to pick up the important words in the sentence. But it was easy to miss a no or a not so you could get the sense of a sentence reversed; you had to pay more attention than normal reading. I normally read around 500 wpm on fiction without resorting to this.

As I recall the course was developed by this Evelyn Woods person based upon her observations of the reading habits of Eleanor Roosevelt, who was a close friend of Woods. In the spiel for the course it was claimed she read whole pages at a glance, and could read upwards of 10K wpm. I honestly don't know whether to believe that or not, but I do know I could read relatively simple fiction (young adult stuff I would call it now) at a pretty astounding rate.

TEd
#158732 04/20/06 12:59 PM
veteran
veteran

I might think you were exaggerating, except ... when I was in 7th or 8th grade they tried to get us to read faster. There was a machine that would breeze by the words displayed by a projector.

I remember I could read maybe 250 words per minute. Everyone was pretty suprised that someone they thought was so smart read at the same speed as the goof-offs. The fastest reader could do 900 wpm ... a speed at which I couldn't make out the individual words. This guy had no training. He could just read fast. I loathed him, btw. He was a pretty typical sports bully. But he definitely understood stuff, as we were tested after we read the stuff - and he always did well.

Tech stuff or fiction, I always read slowly. 250 wpm - 300 wpm was about my maximum, but my cruising speed was a good deal less, maybe 100 wpm, sometimes less. For some tech stuff, I have spent 2 or 3 days mulling a single paragraph - and often I'll spend several hours on a page or two. For fiction, I just don't enjoy it if I read quickly. For sf, I like to ponder the ideas. For non-sf, I like to ponder the relationships. Either way, I'll read in spurts - concentrating for .5 hr - 3 hrs, and then thinking about it. Sometimes, I'll get a particular passage just stuck in my head and want to read it over and over and over.

I can't keep up with reading groups. They're trying to get me to head up a tech reading group where I work, but I don't have time - also I don't like *having* to read something.

#158733 04/20/06 02:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
For fiction, I just don't enjoy it if I read quickly. For sf, I like to ponder the ideas. For non-sf, I like to ponder the relationships. Holy cow--if we ever had to share one book simultaneously, we'd drive each other insane! I rush through so I can find out what happens! Then, if I liked the book well enough, I might go back and find a detail or two that I missed. As to relationships--the only time I bother with extra time on those is if the book has a great number of characters in it--and then only if the book seems worth my while to do so. I do love re-reading the really good books, though.

#158734 04/20/06 03:04 PM
veteran
veteran

I can count on two hands the number of books I've read more than once.

"The Structure of Scientific Revolutions"
"Objective Knowledge"
"I, Robot"
"Robots of Dawn"
"Bolo"
"The Fellowship of the Ring"

I *have* read "Call of the Wild" and "Bicentennial Man" and a few others 3 or 4 times, but that was only because I read it aloud with the kids.

"Robots of Dawn" I read by accident the 2nd time. Great book, but I didn't realize I had actually read it before until I got to the end.

#158735 04/20/06 05:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, i didn't start reading at 900WPM--it took me 4 years of 'practice' to get to that speed. i suspect, your speed would have increased if you worked with the machine for 4 years, too!(and the one you describe sounds alot like a controlled reading machine!)

my parocial school saved money by running tests for new curriculums, textbooks, and other teaching materials. i suspect we were being used as guinnea pigs for the CR program--we were used for new math (my school had new math about 4 years before most schools rolled it out.) and we were for a new science program. (which was so-so and wishy washy.. or at least i thought so--i learned science reading science books

i had free and easy access to a great library--the Bronx Central branch of the NYC library system--and my mother, while (as i have said before) did not read to me, she took me, and sibling to the library from the moment we could walk.

the Bronx centeral library had a whole floor of building (and it was a big building (300 feet deep, about 100 feet wide) just for children and young adults. (adult books were on another floor, and first floor was a research center) so we kids had it easy.. we were supposed to be quiet, but since it was a kids floor, (and only parents with kids were there,) it was a pleasant bubbly noisy place, not the scared hush that libraries often are)

(the bronx central library recently moved (and doubled in size! --the story was page 1 news/NYT.)

i too frequently reread books.. i rush throught them, for the basic story, and then often in 6 months, reread at a slower place (but still fast by many standards)

#158736 04/20/06 06:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Helen, I'm fascinated that you are dyslexic yet you can read so fast!! I wish I could read faster... I wonder if one can take up speed reading at an advanced age? Can one retain as much speed reading as "normal" reading?

#158737 04/20/06 08:37 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, like erzats/ezrats i often read it wrong --but still understand what i am reading..
ogre/orge is another one i read/see/want to spell my way wrong...

i never did well on the multiple choice "circle/select the that is spelled wrong" test either...they all looked fine to me.
(and i often just don't see the mistakes that are copied and quoted here and AWAD and other BB's. i realize there is something wrong, and every one else gets it,-- i mean the ones that are quoted cause they are funny, or clever, or interesting --we don't--thank god!--go around maliciously posting errors/typo's etc. i just read them, and try to see what's wrong, and most often fail.. they wiz so far over my head, i just see contrails..(if that!)

i recognize that there is something going on, but i can't see what.. (usually the sentence makes perfect sense to me.. i got the author's idea, and i miss the joke.)

i don't usually get written jokes, unless they are simple tails that depend on clear punch lines..

puns don't strike me as very funny either, (nor do they cause me to groan) i don't do well with book that have venacular (uncle tom's cabin, or tom sawyer) i can't see/hear/understand/ the language or humor.. (but i did very well computer languages, basic, and the TI version of lisp (linx? some similar name ) i got the 'rules' of grammer, (syntax). its a weird thing.. i still sit and look at my hands to give directions, (left hand make an L) and look at my hands to set a table (left has 4 letters, so does fork --forks go on left, (right has 5 letters, so does spoon and knife.. ) this is a 'new' trick for me, i used to pull out my cookbooks to set a table..(until about 10 years ago!) i am good at learning/creating nmumonics for myself to remember things.. (i have hundreds! i would be virtually illiterate with out them.. (and i subsustite words, when i just can't summom a spelling that looks remotely right.

i used opt, or elect, or choose, or go for something.. i just couldn't spell decide.. and would go through looking at dic, dis, des, dic until i hit upon the correct spelling.. but more often, i elected to use an other word..
--auto spellcheck helped me learn decide.. it would, with out a word of critizism, understand what i was trying to say, and just put down the right letters.. i love auto spell check!

i went back to ireland age 18, and could find my way about the city of dublin, (and the outskirts) i remembered the bus route (all the turns and low bridges) from downtown to my nana's house--(from a trip 10 years previous)

and some 15 years ago, when taking my son to camp, i passed through a small town in conneticut, and realize i had been there before. i consulted an aunt and learned i had, and i was age 6--she and uncle had live in that town for 18months, before moving even further north. (that was a 20 year gap!) i work all the time at seeing where i am, and making mental maps, i am a great navigator!

i long ago recognized i make mental maps, and use them for understanding. controlled reading helped me see a single word, 'get it' and move on.. that i sometimes got it wrong (spelling wise!) didn't mean i didn't get it meaning wise.

#158738 04/20/06 09:08 PM
M
addict
addict
M
Quote:

well, like erzats/ezrats i often read it wrong

I'm really sorry but I can't hold this in any longer

It's erSatZ !!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 729 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith