Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
D
addict
addict
D
Tried vegemite .... gleeech.

What's wrong with vegemite??? (spoken by a true blue Aussie)

Rapport was established superficially.

#15876 01/19/01 01:10 AM
D
addict
addict
D
I've always assumed the fluffy, overflowing concoction created by combining "flavoured aerated water" (fizzy drink, soda pop - call it what you will) and a scoop of ice cream was globally known as a "Spider".

I have to agree with you on that one. Maybe it's just another of our Australianisms.

#15877 01/19/01 01:14 AM
D
addict
addict
D
...in Australia - have even given a Russian name to perhaps our most famous dish - Pavlova.

Now, them's fighting words!! I know hundreds of Kiwis who would happily form death squads to avenge any attempt by an Ocker to claim Pavlova as Australian, when all sentient hominids know that it was invented in NZ.

What about other famous Australian icons like Pharlap, Crowded House and Split Enz? Oh, and how could I forget Russel Crowe?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
All right, shame on all of you. Here I am, away for all of one week and we have people adding stuff to beer. Blasphemy I say. Where’s Shona when the sanctity of beer needs to be protected, harrumph. .

Marmite in Quebec doesn’t refer to a food but a big ole stew pot. One of those heavy, cast iron or stainless steel ones with a heavy lid.

Oh Jo, I am so glad you posted the url to tell of the other meaning for pasties. I nearly choked on my coffee when the guys were talking about edible pasties. You could get arrested for that here .

And a bit of a mix of posts from this thread….apple pie à la mode = a hot piece of apple pie with a scoop of ice cream on top. HEAVENLY!!! Real ice cream though – none of that soft stuff - I don’t even think that stuff is a dairy product AT ALL.

Well I’m off again. It’s nice to see so many new members. I’m looking forward to meeting you all. Everything should fall into place next week so I will be able to come back.

#15879 01/19/01 03:20 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Max declared, stoutly for such a little fella: when all sentient hominids know that it was invented in NZ

sentient ... hominid ... Australia ... Hmmm.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#15880 01/19/01 03:25 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
stales wails: Vegemite is a yeast extract - urban mythology has it as a product of the spent yeast from the breweries

For once, urban mythology isn't so wrong. I listened to a radio programme years ago which spent an absorbing 30 minutes discussing the origins of Vegemite (yum). It was apparently the result of an effort to find something constructive to do with the left-over yeasts from the brewing industry. Don't remember any claims being made that it is actually made from them now, though. And I'm not sure which side of the brewing process I prefer!

#15881 01/19/01 03:29 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, and how could I forget Russel Crowe?

Easily, as it happens. He thinks of himself as an Australian, so there's no hope for him! No, seriously, he does. So therefore, ipso facto, he is!

And, thinking about it, weren't two of the three members of Crowded House Australian? Could have that one wrong, just thought I'd read it somewhere. Given that Neil Finn isn't, it shouldn't be hard to guess which ones are ...

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Marmite in Quebec doesn’t refer to a food but a big ole stew pot. One of those heavy, cast iron or stainless steel ones with a heavy lid.

>The same thing (eg Le Creuset) is sold here as a Marmitout.

#15883 01/19/01 08:20 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Regarding fizzy drinks, there is, in NY and northwards, the egg cream, which contains neither egg nor cream, but is basically selzer or carbonated water and chocolate syrup.

I'm surprised about the chocolate.

I would have expected it to be like a Snowball - the Dutch drink Advocat (yellow semi solid stuff) and lemonade. You can add vodka but that would make it more sophisticated and my ancient aunts who used to drink it at Christmas were purists.

#15884 01/19/01 08:30 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>until I realized that "soft ice cream" meant soft serve

There used to be two ice cream vans which came down our road at weekends and during the holidays. One was solid, very white ice-cream made by a local company with Italian origins. It was lovely and in my teenage years was made all the better by the young Italian who served the ice cream with a wide smile.

The other company sold the nasty manufactured soft stuff which came out of a machine. We said it tasted like Brylcreme and was served by an "old git". I wonder how many areas they could drive through these days whilst sticking to the original name - Mr Whippy!

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 824 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith