Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
You *do* come from NC, don't you: I think, by 'life-saving emergency services', fong was referring to EMS not Polizei

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
bel: Thank you, can always use a little suport

But in order to placate my conscience I nonetheless crack a book during the commercial

eta: I hate the laugh tracks too, even when they're live

dalehileman
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Oooo, ya, laugh tracks. I think they've been using the same one since 1967. Ugh.

Hmmmm, that reminds me...didn't somebody once mention here that there was a specific yell that was used by movie-makers over and over again - as a tribute to the original person who created them. I think the the Lord of the Ring series was mentioned at the time.

I have to admit that I generally always have a book open while listening to T.V. Drives Hubby coo-coo puffs (allo ASp ) since something will come on and I'll say, "nope, this is a rerun" and he always wonders how I could possibly remember since I was reading or doing a crossword puzzle at the time. [shrugging-shoulders-e]

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
I don't like TV. I don't think it's an exciting medium. I don't think the way it is used is good for political or other discourse. I don't find it entertaining or relaxing. I find it depressing and torporfying. It's okay with me if other people like it. But I wish it wasn't foisted on me in every conceivable public place. And I don't think that makes me a snob.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
insel: I feel that way about elevator and the telephone music on hold, not to mention your neighbors' relentless boom-box

Also the Christian religion, pushed at you implacably from all quarters and every direction

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re: Also the Christian religion, pushed at you implacably from all quarters and every direction

Oh say a little prayer--of thanks!-- its not just christians who prostalitize.. I hate any who go about telling me their religious beliefs are the ones i need to save myself.
(christians are not the only ones who do it--perhaps in your neighborhood, they are, but not mine!)

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Helen: Of course; but Christian promoters seem to predominate

dalehileman
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I wasn’t calling you a snob Insel. I hope you did not think so, and do apologize if I made you feel that.

It’s perfectly fine to dislike television, just like it is fine to dislike elevator music or rap or butterscotch pudding or tap dancing or, anything, really. And most people accept the fact that somebody else may not like butterscotch pudding or tap or rap or the Girl from Ipanima, but for some reason, it is all too common that those who do not like television, look down on those who do.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
nuh~uh, on two counts bel. First, I despise the medium of television - I don't presume to offer an opinion on the tastes of those who think otherwise, but I reserve the right to give a clearly argued account of why I think it has low cultural value. Second, your argument is only really convincing if you are prepared to argue that there is no difference in value between any two cultural artefacts - "rap is as good as Mozart"; this is a deconstructionist post-modern doctrine that personally I find both laghable and logically self-defeating.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
likes and quality are two very different animals. I'm with mav.

formerly known as etaoin...
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith