Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
This week's theme inspired me to throw in a quick plug for my new favorite toy: http://www.tvbgone.com/

TV-B-Gone turns off all television sets. All of them. It goes on your keychain, and it looks like one of those car-door-opening-fobs. In reality, though, it's a tele-assassin, streaming deadly off-rays at any television in its generous range.

My laundromat, my supermarket, my bar, and my favourite cheap restaurant have all been made Safe For Democracy. Or, at least, the solitude needed to correctly address a good book.

Note: I'm not affiliated or acquainted with the makers of TV-B-Gone. But I wish I were

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Welcome, cowcumber, especially with such a noble ideal

Not least of the complaints about TV is the frequently complete absence of visual stimulus - many programmes impart just as little data if you only hear the soundtrack. Perhaps television should actually be parsed as 'far from visual'.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Do they make one which will disable portable telephones in places like movie theatres and restaurants (and courtrooms and churches)?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Do they make one which will disable portable telephones in places like movie theatres and restaurants (and courtrooms and churches)?

Some cinemas do use mobile phone jammers.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It has been rumored that some major hotel chains use the phone jammers to force you to use their landlines, which have become a major profit center.

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just build your church in my valley, Padre. Cell connections here are very poor

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In the US, it is currently illegal to jam cell phones.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Quote:

In the US, it is currently illegal to jam cell phones.

Which is a real shame. I hate it when I'm sitting in a restaurant and some insensitive boob at the next table decides he/she wants to have a loud conversation over their cell phone.

It seems that all cell phone providers (or cell phones) are bad since everybody needs to yell while they're having a converstation.

It is extremely rude for the other patrons who are there to relax and enjoy a good meal, and it is the ultimate in rude for the person that is sitting in front of them.

AND, if you politely tell the person they are speaking a little too loudly and it is disturbing you, they invariable take offence and get huffy at you.

I hate cell phones.

======================================

Funny this topic...I had a problem with my computer this morning and the I.T. person at work asked my for my cell phone so he could synchronize it with my computer agenda in case the computer died while he was trying to fix it.

I told him I forgot it at home, to which he responded in exasperation, "Why the hell do you have a cell phone."

"Because you forced me to get one!!"

It drives my boss bonky because I don't answer it while I'm driving (very dangerous) and I turn it off when I reach the customer's office (a politeness issue).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Which is a real shame.

Just for ther record; I was not defending rude cellphone usage, but just stating that using a jammer in the US is a federal crime.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Being retired, I personally am grateful for TV and I do watch it 4-5 hrs a night, much as does the average clod

Agree that much of it is worthless although there are a few good edu channels that you don't have to pay for; eg, PBS, Hist, Disc...

A few good news, pol, discuss, and opin programs; eg, Chris Matthews, Anderson Cooper, Gwen Ifill, Tim Russet...

...as well as a few hilarious hybrids like the Daily Show and The Colbert Report...

...and a few good "free" entertainment programs; eg, West Wing, Desperate Housewives, Boston Legal. Very few

The CSI and L&O shows are entertaining and even somewhat edu; tho they seem to dominate the menu. There are so many that they overflow into the "free" space"

Last edited by dalehileman; 04/24/06 01:51 PM.

dalehileman
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 497 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith