Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
zmjezhd, do you know why it's illegal to have a jammer, or to even mention having one?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Dale, I'm not retired and I enjoy television too.

I've got a very high-pressure job and watching a well-written sit-com is a great way to unwind. I love laughing. It clears your head and makes the blood flow so you feel invigorated.

I love watching documentaries, or science shows. I love watching pure entertainment shows, like Boston Legal or Grey's Anatomy.

I just saw a whole series on the evolution of the Italian mafia that was extremely interesting.

I realize it is a common thing to slam television - or to slam anything that isn't educational or high-brow, but I really don't see what's wrong with the medium.

In comedies, why is the work of actors on the stage considered valuable, and not the work of actors in front of a camera? The same with a movie, why is a dramatic play acceptable, and a dramatic movie considered tripe because it isn't live.

I think it is all a matter of balance. If your whole life is spent in front of the T.V. it is unbalance. If your life is balanced, what is the problem?

I read tremendously; I've always got a few books and magazines going at once because I read what I'm in the mood for at that time. It's the same with television. I look at a whole variety of things, depending upon my mood.

I really believe that television is getting a bum rap and that it has become a type of self-righteous snobishness to frown upon those who watch television.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I watch very little television. that being said, I think it is an amazing medium, one that has really been little explored.

I hate laugh tracks, and I would like to see more live tv.

there is just so much dreck on, that it can be hard to find the good stuff.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
belMarduk-- Nope. I see the Act being involved is the Wireless Act of 1934 (as amended; see 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333; this was the act that created the FCC in the US). It might have had something to do with radio stations trying to jam one another in certain markets. And, probably, telecom companies have lots of lobbyists working in their interests. Maybe the Padre knows better.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Ugh, I'm sure the polite folks in 1934 would cringe at how the act is being interpreted now. I can understand about the radio stations though, it is to avoid unfair advantages and monopolies.

Dunno, maybe not everybody feels the same way I do. I guess cell phones are a pet peeve of mine. I realize that some people are on call, and they need to carry the phone around with them. I'm more than fine with that; it's their livelyhood. It's the overwhelming amount of people that are inconsiderate of the people around them that burn my butt.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I have not problem with cell phones per se, but rude people are another thing, and they come without cell phones, too. My least favorite cell phone abusage is people using them in movie theatres (usually talking to somebody else in the same theatre).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

zmjezhd, do you know why it's illegal to have a jammer, or to even mention having one?

Dunno if this is the reason behind the legislation but consider the trade off:

On the one hand you have the irritation of someone talking loudly in public.

On the other hand you have the life-saving act of contacting emergency services in a timely manner.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
And the one necessitates the other.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
heh

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

And the one necessitates the other.

Not here in North Carolina. There's a legal defense we use here called He Needed Killin'.

TEd
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith