Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
The novel is The Egg and I, by Betty Macdonald

The synopsis:

Betty’s new husband Bob has an epiphany and decides that it is his life’s calling to become a chicken farmer. In his epiphanial enthusiasm, Bob buys an abandoned farm in the wilds of Washington State, and proceeds to start a chicken ranch with all the knowledge and experience that city life has endowed him.

The opening lines:

A) When my husband Bob came home to tell me he was buying a chicken ranch in Washington, my first thought was, "Is it close enough to the White House to sell them eggs for the Easter Egg roll?"

B) Now I can tell you with great certainty which came first, it was the egg.

C) As the first glimpse of morning enveloped the eastern horizon Betty realized being already awake meant that autumn in New York would be soon upon them.

D) When I vowed to love, honor and obey my husband, little did I know that this meant that one day, I’d be getting up at the crack of dawn to look at the tail-end of a chicken.

E) Along with teaching us that lamb must be cooked with garlic and that a lady never scratches her head or spits, my mother taught my sisters and me that it is a wife’s duty to see that her husband is happy in his work.

F) I remember it was the hottest day of the year so far, and when Bob was late that Friday I just knew right away something was up – he was always early on Fridays, but he breezed in over an hour late with a strange little breathy whistle and a fixed look of concentration crinkling his brow.

G) It seemed reasonable to Bob that high egg counts would be ensured by equipping each laying hen with her own rooster.

H) "You never can tell what's gonna happen in this life", my Mama always said--and she sure was right.

I) I was never really rural by nature, but mamma raised a few hens in her day.

J) Bob had done his research and had settled on the Rhode Island Red, which, he had learned, was a robust breed, excellent for egg-production, and yet also suitable for meat, and best of all, he liked the sound of it.

K) At age plump six I marched home from an important tea party given by my dear friend Victoria Willington who was eight and lived up the hill in a big brownstone with an English garden and a pool; and with a jaunty toss of my golden locks I declared to my startled father and mother that I was and always had been a plutocrat and demanded to know why they had been keeping me captive and just what in Jumping Jesus had they done with my real parents?

L) When my newly married socialite mother went with Daddy to his new engineering job in Telluride, she was unaware that she had started not only a baby, but a family tradition as well.

M) The bag of feed corn was getting lighter every day.

N) If I ever thought the phrase "eggs over easy" was a contradiction in terms it wasn't during my days as a waitress at the Third St. Cafe.

O) The notion of becoming chicken farmers really did seem like a bad idea at the time.

P) Chickens we bought in the grocery store –- already plucked, and if you cajoled the butcher, split into parts.

What say you?

P.S. I am not naming those who submitted opening lines. Through some power that amazes me, some of you can figure out who wrote things by the tone of the writing so I'm giving you no extra hints by giving the names.

EDIT: Ooops. Forgot to say...polls will be open until Sunday, April 9th.

Last edited by belMarduk; 04/08/06 06:49 PM.
T
veteran
veteran
T
B) Now I can tell you with great certainty which came first, it was the egg.

That's it! Close the polls, pull down the blinds, and cry in your beer.

While most of the opening lines submitted here are of high merit (including mine) only the real opening sentence "B" quickly establishes a conflict between the writer and the story line that could sustain ample reader interest for a situation comedy of 250 pages.

"B" !

Last edited by themilum; 04/02/06 02:51 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
J sounds right to me.

#158135 04/02/06 03:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
D for me.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
G

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You know, I read this book many many years ago, and cannot remember a thing about it. Bennett Cerf, in one of his collections of jokes, maintains that the MacDonalds' friends all suggested names for their new animals, like Chickov, Pullet Goddard, and Himalaya. Some others too, but I can't remember them at this point and can't be arsed to go look.

But that's not what I came here to write about. I came here to write about my vote. There are some pretty good entries here, with one sort of noticeable exception, and I am almost convinced to vote for A because I seem to recall that Betty indeed did not know exactly where Washington was. But I am vacillating among B, H, and P, all of which are compelling for various reasons.

(and dozens of people are out there as they read, saying to themselves, "Get to the point, windbag.") I'd have voted for B if it didn't already have one vote, so it's down to H and P. And I got burned by taking a P the last time out so I am gonna say what the H.

TEd
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
And I read a review of it, and it sounded awfully funny. I probably wrote a reminder to myself to pick it up, and that is probably still buried on my desk. However, I thought the book was Dead Souls, and I was prepared to vote several times for the entry of my choice. I am mortified.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Still trying to hex etaoin, I'm going to vote D

B
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
Does "Dead Souls" have anything to do with chickens?

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Dead souls gotta eat, don't they?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,344
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 782 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith