About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#15790 01/21/01 06:22 PM
addict
addict
Chinese green tea... a taste even I myself cannot rationally understand... but I love it!

#15791 01/21/01 09:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Water (am I the only one left?), Coffee (the darker the roast the better), 7-up and Pepsi(or nothing) when I have the choice (YART (Hi Jackie)), Milk(2%)with pasta dishes (no cookies), Iced Tea (Sun made or otherwise in the summer), Beer (I prefer AASS pilsner from Norway (Mom's home town (tough to get, though))) usually Harp, Power's Irish Whiskey, Pinot Gris (from Alsace), Burgundy (only expensive ones are worth it) - and -

A special little shot called a "chichoritso" (phoenetic spelling) a Latin American friend once told me about which has - 7/8 Rum, 1/8 Annisette(sp?), and about 1/4 of a lime squeezed on top just before pounding...

... and pounding is what you get!

#15792 01/22/01 01:41 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In my student days I was very fond of ginger wine, usually by itself but the occasional whisky mac found its way down my throat as well. I have a soft spot for kahlua, although these days I don't drink much alcohol. In a climate where dehydration is a way of life, even a little goes a long way.

The sandwiches and coffee stall in the building next to my office has a lovely concoction called an arabian frost, which is basically cold coffee with whipped cream and then chocolate flakes and chopped walnuts on top.

Indonesia has its own ginger drink, bandrek , very warming when you're up in the mountains and the temperature dips below 15 degrees Centigrade. (How do you do a degree sign on here?) Avocado juice with a swirl of melted chocolate through it is very popular.

Bingley

Bingley
#15793 01/22/01 03:21 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
any interesting cures?
Before you go to bed, take two milk of magnesia tablets, a complex vitamin B tablet and a 500 mg of Vitamin C.
All the named vitamins are depleted by alcohol and the milk of magnesia helps settle the stomach. Or so I was told by an MD pal. Never having had to avail myself of the remedy, naturally, I simply passed it along to friends who tell me it helps a lot and nearly obliterates the hangover IF the intake is moderate.
wow

#15794 01/22/01 05:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i don't get hangovers, but if i have too many martinis (ketel berry lemon drop is my poison of choice) just to be on the safe side i pop a couple of flintstones chewables (grape is definitely best) and a spoonful of honey before bedtime. aside from that, the very best hangover prevention is just to guzzle a *ton* of water before you pass out...er, i mean fall asleep.

bridget=)

Ipsa scientia potestas est ~Bacon

#15795 01/22/01 06:18 PM
old hand
old hand
Try floating cucumber slices in a nice peach iced tea. No sugar, just the peach and the cucumber. Unbelievable!

And as for Bingley's "Avocado juice with a swirl of melted chocolate through it is very popular." ~ Bleccch.

#15796 01/22/01 08:29 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
A good alcoholic drink, especially in the winter, is hot chocolate mixed with Irish cream liqueur. You can also add cream de cacao. Especially if you drink it relatively fast (I don't recommend chugging it, the combination of alcohol, chocolate and warm milk produces quite a nice buzz for a relatively small amount of ingested alcohol. Purrrrrrrrr

#15797 01/22/01 11:11 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
As the premiere member of the ever growing Apple Pie For Breakfast Club, I must pass along the BEST drink for cold weather ... spiced apple cider if you teatotal.... or spiced apple cider with apple brandy if you are in the mood.
YaaaHooooo - apple pie and spiced apple cider for dessert.
wow

#15798 01/23/01 02:50 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Oooo, mulled wine is also a great winter drink. Best made from non expensive Beaujolais (since heating more expensive wines brings a tear to my eye) 375ml, 250ml of REAL orange juice, 50ml sugar, add nutmeg and cinnamon to taste (about ¾ tablespoon each) and five cloves. Let boil for three to five minutes. Makes 2 drinks.

With dinner, I really like to have red wine. I like most wines but I find I am partial to Madirans, Haut-Médocs, Corbières and Coteaux-du-Languedocs – depending on what I am eating. Australian wines are just starting to hit the shelves so I have not found a favorite yet – won’t be too long though [hiccup emoticon here] .

Milk I drink only with chocolate cake and in the morning, mixed with Quick, while I eat toast with peanut butter and/or strawberry jam.

Coke / Pepsi rarely. Coffee everyday. Water morning and night. Beer with pizza is a must, and when pals come over and we have some easy food like hamburgers or b.b.q.

And a Québec favorite at party time; Bloody Caesars…in a highball glass, a mix of Vodka (1 – 1 ½ oz) Clamato juice (a mix made from tomato juice and clam juice…don`t say yuck it is quite nice), a dash of Tobasco and celery salt around the rim of the glass.

#15799 01/23/01 08:19 AM
Omigawd, I only just discovered this thread! One could get smashed just reading it! Yes, Bingers, nothing wrong with a drop of the old Stone's Green Ginger Wine. But I couldn't even start to comment on the other contributions here, and I don't really have time to look at it all ... I am drooling fit to kill. Long live Cardhu, delicious product of the Speyside Kilmarnoch, and the king of single malts!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,352
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 494 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,550
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith