About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#157612 04/09/06 02:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When I was in the sixth grade, our teacher decided we should all learn speed reading. We were assigned a book report a day. I read all my books the old-fashioned way, one word at a time. If I was too busy to read a book each night, I simply wrote my report on a book I'd read previously.

#157613 04/19/06 03:06 PM
veteran
veteran

Teachers need to gradually push students. Not all reading is "reading" any more than all thinking is "thinking." Being part of the internet generation doesn't mean students should get a free pass. Surely they will be happy to have less demanding work. That doesn't mean it's good for them in the long run. My oldest is 16 and in 10th grade honors english/history. It's a program called IGCSE, that comes out of Oxford. They have to meet the state SOL standards and they have to pass this test from the UK system. It's a two year program that started in 9th grade and combines English and History together (a very good match, I think). She complained vociferously in the beginning about all the reading and about how hard it all was. It was a terrible experience. She was so accustomed to coasting and learning almost nothing. Finally she had a teacher who pushed her. She hated it - absolutely loathed it - but eventually came to appreciate it.

I recall coming to her on a weekend once. I walked into her room with a cup of tea and maybe some cookies (I don't recall). I sat it down and she never looked up. She started complaining (still without looking up) and it was something like "Daddy, you just wouldn't *BELIEVE* how much homework I have!" and then she looks up at me very briefly and very seriously, "GOD, I LOVE THAT WOMAN!" and then turns back to her work. I left.

The injustice that kids are getting these days isn't just that they aren't learning all that they could learn, but that they are not learning to push themselves. They're not learning to stretch their limits. That's obviously not true of every kid in every class, but I think it's true in the cases where it's true. The biggest problem my daughter has was having an 8th grade English teacher who didn't push her - to prepare her.

#157614 04/20/06 01:55 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The injustice that kids are getting these days isn't just that they aren't learning all that they could learn, but that they are not learning to push themselves. Oh! I agree! Absolutely! My son's high school, especially, was just awful. They actually told me that they don't give much homework because "the kids won't do it".

I know they're worried (rightfully so) about low test scores, and I'd bet money that a large percentage of the reason they won't push kids is that they're afraid there'll be a lot of dropouts, which will cost them funding. But...they are NOT doing these kids a favor. My son loved it--he just skated through; but now he's trying the same thing in college, and it just isn't working. He's dropped a couple of courses, and some of his grades are terrible. And it's just killing me, because I think he may actually be even more intelligent than his sister, who has gotten near-perfect grades her entire school career. (She went to a different high school--one where she could stay in the AP. His had a program he wanted, but did not have the AP.)

#157615 04/20/06 08:39 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Too little focus on discipline as a means to focus motivation and passion. Also discussed in the ongoing music lectures by D. Barenboim mentioned elsewhere.

#157616 04/20/06 10:24 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
we just sang at a private (read very expensive) hs in New Hampshire where they are receiving an exemplary education. oh that we could do the same for all the children...

can you say "military budget?

formerly known as etaoin...
#157617 04/20/06 11:56 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Is it exemplary if we can't do the same for everyone?

Last edited by inselpeter; 04/20/06 11:57 PM.
#157618 04/21/06 02:29 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, my dictionary says:

"serving as a desirable model; representing the best of its kind"

so, unfortunately, I think we can.

#157619 04/21/06 04:07 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Hm mm. Yes and no, I guess.

ex·em·pla·ry P Pronunciation Key (g-zmpl-r)
adj.
Worthy of imitation; commendable: exemplary behavior.
Serving as a model.
Serving as an illustration; typical.
Serving as a warning; admonitory.

[From Middle English exaumplarie, exemplere, an exemplar. See exemplar.]
exem·plari·ly (gzm-plâr-l) adv.
ex·empla·ri·ness or exem·plari·ty (gzm-plr-t) n.

[Download Now or Buy the Book]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

exemplary

adj 1: worthy of imitation; "exemplary behavior"; "model citizens" [syn: model(a)] 2: being or serving as an illustration of a type; "the free discussion that is emblematic of democracy"; "an action exemplary of his conduct"; [syn: emblematic, typic] 3: serving to warn; "shook a monitory finger at him"; "an exemplary jail sentence" [syn: admonitory, cautionary, monitory, warning(a)]

#157620 04/21/06 11:46 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, I guess I was using it as in the first def.

but this is a strange dichotmy:
"Worthy of imitation" vs. "typical"

and I don't understand this example sentence:
"the free discussion that is emblematic of democracy"

where's the word "exemplary"?

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
What is a book?<<

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 729 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith