Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#157592 03/23/06 01:54 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
the term has been defined by UNESCO for statistical purposes as a “non-periodical printed publication of at least 49 pages excluding covers,” - Britannica online

49? must be another of those mystical numbers.

#157593 03/23/06 02:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I suspect like many benchmarks this is arbitrary and was derived by some equally arbitrary process like asking a whole buncha people at UNESCO headquarters then averaging all the answers. Either that or it has something to do with exceeding a six-octave range.

TEd
#157594 03/23/06 03:29 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
And I suspect it has to do with the number of pages in the sewn signature of a bound book: 25 would be to signatures would be two with forty-nine printed pages and that blank page that seems always to be there. Or 16 (the number Dover seems to use, at least for certain books) would be 3 is 48 plus a mystery sheet. If the definition comes from the ISO, it is almost certainly some such reason. (See their explanation of the A size papers).

#157595 03/23/06 04:08 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Hmmm. According to UNESCO, my sons' bookshelves are chock full of ... printed, bound, nonperiodical objects which do not constitute books, since most them are about 30 pages long. I know this because I have to list the number of pages of each book - er, printed, bound, nonperiodical -- read by the kids for their stupid reading programs at school.

#157596 03/23/06 04:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> stupid reading programs

ahem.

formerly known as etaoin...
#157597 03/26/06 03:35 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
They are stupid. Reading is a normal, and should be enjoyable, part of everyday activity in our house. The kids have many good choices of reading material, and reading is part of their routine. But the school requires all these lists of what they've read, and the writing down of every book, and how many pages it was, and so on, takes all the joy out of reading and turns it into an exercise in accounting.

Counterproductive, in our case. Stupid reading program.

#157598 03/26/06 09:31 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
How can schools require this? Is every household activity subject to their authority? How is it any of their business?

#157599 03/26/06 10:39 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The teachers where Theo and Sasha are in 4th and 2nd grades respectively use the reading reports as an incentive to get the kids to read more. Both teachers maintain, but do not make a big deal over, a wall chart showing the number and grade levels of the books the kids have read. It becomes a very mild competition among the kids, which I think is a good thing. I would not like it if this became a major part of a kid's day, though.

More concerning is the impact of the Federal legislation that gets right into every kid's school day and dictates that the teachers teach how to take standardized tests. The teachers hate it, but huge education dollars are up for grabs for those schools whose kids do the best on these tests. I deplore it, have written letters to Congresspeople and to the editor, but so long as (political rant omitted by the author).

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> Counterproductive, in our case.

that's the kicker. in your case, reading is a normal, everyday activity. you would be astonished at the number of households where it is not. coupled with TEd's accurate account of the Federal requirements, schools have to do many unpleasant things.

I also know of websites and forums where people take a bit of deserved pride in keeping track of what books they have read.

as for Insel's questions, oh boy, where does one begin? it has nothing to do with authority, it has everything to do with trying our damndest to fight the social culture of a country that does little to reward intelligence and creativity, and a system (especially now) that thinks schools are factories.

Last edited by etaoin; 03/26/06 11:39 AM.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
its not the number of books her children read that is the issue, its that the school required that they track the number of pages.

if a fouth grader comes in and lists The Cat in the Hat as one of the book they have read, well, that is not appropriate reading for a kid who should be reading on a 4th grade level.

but to judge books by the pages.. UGH! what a habit to encourage! the teachers should be reasonable familiar with most of the books 4th graders are reading. they should know the titles, authors and age/reading level appropriateness. tracking the number of pages is stupid.

as a child, i had a huge book of hans christian anderson fairy tales. the kind of book that is normal read to children. (but, alas, i was never read to as a child)
i read these fairytales to myself. and i started doing so in 3rd grade or so--and i started with the shortest stories.

as i got older and older, i continued reading these fairytales, until in about 8th grade, i finally took on the tale of Ice Queen--a story about 30 pages long--but each page was about 8X 12! and the text was printed in two columns.

i recognize now, my behavior was childish--but i was a child, doing thing in a childish way. to teach a child to chose a book (or perhaps avoid a book) simple based on the number of pages? that is bad.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 752 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith