Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#157493 03/22/06 04:23 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
Fibliotheque (briefly known as biblieoteque) -

Here are the basic rules again since this is so new.

The Fibliotechnician offers the title and a brief plot synopsis of some real novel. Contestants send in false first lines to the Fibliotechnician who then offers them to the players along with the real first line.

Submissions must be only one sentence long; can be arbitrarily complex if you wish.

Anyone can submit a sentence. Anyone can vote on the submissions whether or not they submitted one themselves.

Scoring is a work of art based on arbitrary standards and points are rarely tabulated though they are highly debated. See Hogwash rules for the recap.

EDIT: typo

Last edited by belMarduk; 03/22/06 06:05 PM.
B
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
The novel is The Egg and I, by Betty Macdonald – copyright 1945

Betty’s new husband Bob has an epiphany and decides that it is his life’s calling to become a chicken farmer. In his epiphanial enthusiasm, Bob buys an abandoned farm in the wilds of Washington State, and proceeds to start a chicken ranch with all the knowledge and experience that city life has endowed him. I mean, how hard can it be?

The novel follows Betty’s experiences in this backwoods setting as she learns to deal with errant wildlife, even more errant neighbors and rustic, often non-existent amenities. Stove is not going to get the best of her! And Momma did say that a good wife should always support her husband.

===================================

Since we’re midweek, I’ll keep the submission window open till Saturday, April 1st. That’s a score less 9 days, a sennight plus 4 days or a fortnight less 3 days. After that, the jigs up.

I hope I don't ruin anybody's first line, but I can't resist noting the correlation between the author and the plot.

Old Macdonald

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
It's too bad that her first name wasn't Henrietta.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
The day Bob had an idea, Henrietta was cooking breakfast.

"I've had an idea," he said poking his dirty index finger into the pancake batter.

Henrietta slapped it away and looked at the calendar.

"What?" said Bob, "You're mumbling."

"Nothing." She gave him a peck on the cheek. It was April Fool's day: everything finally made sense.

Edit: To new players -- this is just a stupid joke. Please submit your entries by Private Message (PM) to the Fibliotechnocrat, in this case, BelMarduk .

PS: My mother always told me I was wasting my time in stand-up.

Last edited by inselpeter; 03/25/06 02:06 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So *that's where they got the premise for that cornpone 60's sitcom Green Acres.

"'Greeeeeeeen Acres is the place for me,
Farm livin's where I'd rather be.'

'I just adore a penthouse view,
Darlink I love you but give me Park Avenue.'"

(sorry for the earworm, folks )

B
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
You may be right WO'N. There was a movie that was made based on this book a good while before Green Acres was created. It didn't follow the story-line exactly though, which is annoying since the story is quite good.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

You may be right WO'N. There was a movie that was made based on this book a good while before Green Acres was created. It didn't follow the story-line exactly though, which is annoying since the story is quite good.

Never judge a book by its movie.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Quote:

Can we quote you on that, Faldo?

B
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

That is generally true, eh!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith