Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
veteran
veteran
T
Quote:

( I think I'll start "this" again somewhere free of all this subtle antonomasia)

And if you do, Mister Musick, then I'll (meaning Mister Milum) will be your most staunchworth supporter.

Say "high five", big jigger, say hey to your number one "gasser".

Oh, I do love so much to talk jive talkto the people

old hand
old hand
A theory should not be the driving force in composition any more than technique should be the driving force in a performance While I agree with your desideratum, I think the two cases are not really parallel. Technique is a necessary condition for a performance, though by no means a sufficient one. Theory is not a necessary condition for a creative act. It tends to be applied by those who try to "explain" it.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
To posit a clean distinction between theory and "the creative act" once theory has entered the discourse and given rise to the possibility of the notion of creativity is itself at once a creative performance and a hapless theory.

T
veteran
veteran
T
Quote:

To posit a clean distinction between theory and "the creative act" once theory has entered the discourse and given rise to the possibility of the notion of creativity is itself at once a creative performance and a hapless theory.

(broken down for elucidation)

To posit a clean distinction
between theory and "the creative act"
once theory has entered the discourse and given rise to the possibility of the notion of creativity
is itself at once a creative performance and a hapless theory.

(rephrased for clearity)

If we hypothesize a clear difference
between a theory of creativity and the act of creativity
we have, by doing so, paradoxly precluded any worthwhile
theory of creativity but have been creative in the process.

Oh really?

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
I have no idea. I don't understand what you wrote; perhaps it was the clearity.

Last edited by inselpeter; 04/02/06 09:42 PM.
T
veteran
veteran
T
Well, Inselpeter, would you yourself be so kind to explain what you wrote?

Will ya?

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
The notion of "creative acts" arises in a conceptual/practical frame that is already completely saturated with theory. Therefore, to posit a non-porous divide between the theoretical and the "creative" is to sight a phantom. Such a divide does not and cannot exist, except as seduction.

Last edited by inselpeter; 04/02/06 10:44 PM.
T
veteran
veteran
T
Quote:

The notion of "creative acts" arises in a conceptual/practical frame that is already completely saturated with theory. Therefore, to posit a non-porous divide between the theoretical and the "creative" is to sight a phantom. Such a divide does not and cannot exist, except as seduction.

Tell you what, inselpeter, it's late and I need to get up early but I'm gonna pull out a bottle of Evan Williams Black and drink and think about the meaning of your strangely arranged words until either I pass out or I find some degree of coherency within your odd juxtaposition of English words.

Only thirty minutes and four fingers of bourbon later

I got it! Inselpeter you are a poet. You think in "nuance".
"saturated with theory" "posit a non-porous divide" "to sight a phatom" "except as seduction" That's not science, that's intuition.

Ok, inselpeter, here is what you have said...

The concept of the "creative act" has been framed by the general conception of what constitutes a "creative act" and so by definition a "creative act" is delimited by it's own definition and any deviation from that definition is specious and incoherent.

Aren't you glad that I am here to tell you what you said?

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
to tell you what I said<<

No, but it's nice of you to try to figure it out.

Whether or not I'm a poet, I don't know. I'm just trying to save myself a couple of thousand keystrokes, so I'm writing shorthand. That said, you did get part of it. But, for example, what has been more thoroughly studied than the diatonic scale and its permutations in music? The way we think about, hear and compose music in our tradition has been thoroughly shaped by the theoretical understanding of our system of its tonality. While there is, "no doubt," that the diatonic scale was originally simply "heard," that event, if it ever was, is long ago and far away. Our system of notation takes into account the steps of the scale and attempts to reconcile it with the "ergonomics" of sight (the five-line staff) and a system of absolute intervals (half-steps) which has been derived theoretically from the eight tones that compose the scale which we hear as an aesthetic unity. This, in a simple way, is a part of the frame. All cultural transmission exists in such frames. But I do not mean to say that such frames merely form the background or "horizon" of transmission. There is an active interplay between what we call the theoretical and what we call the creative. I do not mean to suggest that there is no distinction between these, whatsoever, only to cast doubt on the the notion of "creativity," which, as it is commonly used, I find to be an offensive term. Anyway, it's always nice to have something to drink to.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith