About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

B) MY NAME AIN'T PETER! he said sacharenely.

Anyone knows, it's Rock Island.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
does seperation of church and state mean that only atheist or agnostics are suitable people for public life?

i don't think so.

are there times when people's personal moral standards vary with the laws of the land? sure..

here in NYS, we've had both catholic and epispicalian governer's who have made it clear they are opposed (personally) to both the death penalty and abortion.

One, veto'd every death penalty bill the NYS assembly passed, and for years, there was no death penalty in NYS.

but--he did nothing (didn't lobby, didn't campaign, didn't try to enact rules and regulations about abortion-since he came into office and this was (post roe vs.wade) the law of the land.

(there were no efforts in the NYS assembly to do anything to modify, or make abortions more difficult to abtain, so there was no legislation to veto)

since then, a second (openly religious man, who has personally stated he, too is personally against the death penalty)has been governer.
and since then NYS assembly has enacted (and the governer let pass) a death penalty law. he did not veto it, even though he was personally against the law.
(curiously, there have not been anyone convicted and sentenced with death--)

so its possible (at least in NYS!) for people to have moral convictions that are at odds with the law of the land, and for them to recognize that they have sworn to uphold the laws of the state

and since such laws currently allow for both the death penalty and for extremely free access to abortions, they do as they have sworn to do. (not as they would personaly do)

I think it is quite possible for reasonable people to recognize there is both secular law (and be a judge) and canon law (and be a active member of a church).

there is an element of christianity that says, render unto cesear that which is cesear's, and unto god, that which is god. Part of our tradition is to recognize (but keep seperate) relegion and law.

like wise here, we can talk about religion, but we general find the idea of prostilitizing unacceptable. (likewise, we do not mock or denigrade any religous belief's)

we also find the idea of political rallying to be off limits.

i won't incur any wrath for talking about the political history of the process of enacting a death penalty law in NYS.. but my own opinions, (should we have the death penaly as an option, in the law?) are not generally welcome.

its is difficult often to discuss these often emotional subjects with out expressing our personal philosophies. so, like good company, in many places, we don't discuss religion or politics here, or at the dinner table (with guests)

some might know (or think they know) my opinions on these subjects, and they may (or may not) be right. living in NY, i could be classified as a 'typical liberal'--but then again, i was raised catholic, and i am irish, and the family is filled with cops and members of law enforcement.(one generation all cops, the next,a mix of cops and Ast DA's) so am i typical liberal? or a law and order person?

it doesn't matter. this forum is not a place we discuss such philosophies.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Is this something happening in the U.S. that most folks are aware of there?

Any answer to that would be discussing politics, no?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

It has been decided, Belmarduke, in the interest of the civil continuation of the nature of this forum of words, that certain words are taboo. And certain subjects are taboo. It is thought that the people who post here can't be trusted to objectively discusss current events or religion without causing trouble.
They love this board.

This is a board about words and language, not politics and religion. As before, I would be happy to direct you to boards about politics and religions, Milo.

You're so much more human below the fold, where we talk about birds

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Helen: Thank you for your comprehensive On-Topic followup, proving conclusively that there are a few of us who are willing to navigate my windy sentences

Insel: Sorry, but what shoud I post

Last edited by dalehileman; 02/18/06 04:07 PM.

dalehileman
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
DH: see your post starting "Peter"

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D

A) Well, if you don't want to post it

(by "it" do you mean my followup above addressing you),

send me a PM

(most abject apologies, but still don't know what a PM is)

As a matter of principle, the notion is hooey, imho

(you might be right, but which notion, precisely)

Insel, I'm sincerely not trying to be obtuse, it just isn't clear to this old, decrepit non-ggeek at the onset of Alzheimer's, what you need

dalehileman
#155826 02/18/06 07:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dale, PM means "private message." You can tell if you have one by the flashing icon underneath "Welcome, dalehileman" at the top of your page. Click on that.

#155827 02/18/06 08:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> flashing icon underneath

or next to.

formerly known as etaoin...
#155828 02/18/06 11:29 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Peter: Forgive, but I'm still not quite sure what it is I'm to forward by the PM. But I'm certain it's not so personal that I can't say it here

dalehileman
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 824 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith