About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#155338 02/10/06 09:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And many UBS's have the compact edition in their inventories for less than a hundred bucks, which is what I paid for mine.

Be advised there are two editions of it, though, one a book club edition and one a major publishing house edition. Sorry I cannot tell you the difference, though the place I bought mine from said they routinely turn down the book club edition. Of course mine may be a book club edition and they were just having me on.

But as someone said, it's the standard against which all others are measured.

TEd
#155339 02/10/06 10:00 PM
OP Offline
Wow, I just searched it on Amazon and that $6000 set looks like an encyclopedia?
Are all of those books just a dictionary?
If so that's awesome!
::drools::

I can already imagine just picking up 'M' and just browsing through for hours and hours, then skimming through 'Z.'
I need to start saving up!
(Okay I need an actual job first)

By the way, what do they mean by "cross-references"?
And what's so different about the etymologies?

Last edited by mechanesthesia; 02/10/06 10:15 PM.

[insert signature here]
#155340 02/10/06 10:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Are all of those books just a dictionary?

right; and those 20 volumes can be had on 1 CD-ROM, which is what maverick was promoting. you can even browse, after a fashion, in that you have two windows: one with the particular word you're viewing and the other with an entry list containing words immediately surrounding that headword.

a worthy option, at about one fourth the cost, is Merriam-Wesbster's 3rd New International (W3) on CD-ROM. It has an equal number of entries (for what that's worth), but less documentation* in back of them.

it should also be noted that both of these excellent resources are available online via subscription. W3 is available for an almost reasonable annual rate of $30. while the OED2 subscription is still exorbitant, it can often be accessed via proxy through your local library.

*etymology, citations, etc.

edit: A cross-reference is a link from one dictionary entry to another for purposes of comparison or explanation. With the CD or online versions, these are hot links.

Last edited by tsuwm; 02/10/06 10:29 PM.
#155341 02/10/06 11:51 PM
OP Offline
Oh, cross references are when they compare similar words and highlight their difference (like satire, irony, sarcasm)? Okay.
Hmm. Yeah, I might think of adding some kind of online subscription or CD-Rom as well. I could have the physical form and it's digital counterpart or something...
Actually, I don't like more things on my computer. I spend way too much time on it as it is (pretty much a minimum of 8 hours a day). I don't need more reasons to be on it. That's why I don't do things like e-books and watch DVDs on my laptop, when I can just do that without a computer.
Do you know if it has those entries in the beginning that talks about things like grammar, roman numerals, differences in american and british english, etc.? My World Book has those kinds of articles.

Last edited by mechanesthesia; 02/10/06 11:55 PM.

[insert signature here]
#155342 02/12/06 05:00 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I used to think that Merriam-Webster was best; that was back when one of the main purposes of a dictionary was to determine how a word was supposed to be used. However, in my estimation they've been going steadily downhill. Used to be, for instance, they'd identify neologisms, slang, etc, as "vulgar"

Now, though, after it has been misused for a while Merriam blithely enters any new usage, even if it's directly contradictory to the original meaning

Thus we are entering an era when any word can mean almost anything, and correct usage is defined as dropping the term wherever it seems to fit, in the secure knowledge that Merriam will eventually adopt it

dalehileman
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,339
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 637 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,545
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith