About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#155296 02/09/06 01:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Tabarnach(e) is a Quebecker (euphemistic?) variant of tabernacle which in French besides meaning 'tabernacle' is also a swearword like English Zounds!

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
#155297 02/09/06 04:00 PM
M
addict
addict
M
I was going to suggest downloading an alternate email client such as Mozilla Thunderbird in order to verify whether the problem was Outlook or Verizon, but if you're having trouble with Google Mail...

#155298 02/10/06 02:43 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Yup, what they said.

#155299 02/10/06 10:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...it exists between Word and Outlook.

Stop using Word as your email editor. To get advanced text enhancements make sure your Outlook /options/mailformat is chosen as "HTML" (turn off/uncheck "Use Word as your email editor"). This will allow bold/italics, etc... but it will stop *you from using two programs to edit one pc. of email... both of which have to access some of the same OS files simultaneously, a problem which manifests more often on larger files, file attachments and/or embedded pictures. Unfortunately you'll then have to run MS Spelling check seperately, but.

Also, if you are using filesharing/networking/or a camera chip reader... never attach a file from any place other than (a copy on) your local drive... anything else are the ingredients in a recipe for disaster.

... plus what everyone else says, but.

"...anything else are" = I can't wait to hear about that usage...

Last edited by musick; 02/10/06 10:26 PM.
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Thank you mus. Thus the difficulty owes to some kind of obscure interaction between Word and Outlook. But after several decades why is it that among the tens of millions millions of PC users that I am the only person in the entire world of the Internet suffering from this problem

I cannot entertain in my wildest fantasies the idea that if what you say is true Microsoft hasn't hear about it from a single customer

At this late date the concept of relinquishing Word editing when composing email is tantamount to abandoning my PC for a typewriter

Myr: We're not all computer experts willing to spend thousands of hours of our remaining existence in the 24/7 study of computer programs and their manifest glitches and anomalies

God love Bill Gates

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Myr: We're not all computer experts willing to spend thousands of hours of our remaining existence in the 24/7 study of computer programs and their manifest glitches and anomalies

Agreed. Which is why Myridon's suggestion is such a good, easy and efficient one. But if you're even having trouble with Google mail...

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Anna: I finally accessed Gmail and was astounded to find six incoming messages. I'm not sure how to proceed tho I eventually hope to learn. But Gmail is 'way more complex and intricate than Outlook, and I wish I didn't have to resort to it as I just don't have that much time remaining

Every new glitch and puzzlement from the digital world steals hours of one's spare time

God bless Bill Gates

Thanks all for your patience

Last edited by dalehileman; 02/11/06 11:41 PM.

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

God bless Bill Gates

Thanks all for your patience

What on Earth does Bill Gates have to do with Google Mail? It's offered by a company increasingly seen as a competitor to Microsoft, and is very popular among users of operating systems that have nothing whatsoever to do with MS.

#155304 02/12/06 12:53 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I could be wrong, but I've thought from the first that I detected a distinct odor of irony in this statement.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thus the difficulty owes to some kind of obscure interaction between Word and Outlook. But after several decades why is it that among the tens of millions millions of PC users that I am the only person in the entire world of the Internet suffering from this problem...

(a) You're not. Just because you can't find a complaint on the MS website doesn't mean the problem doesn't exsist; Do you have the last available Office patches?

2) How much RAM do you have... 256 will not be enough to handle the OS, WORD, Outlook, etc, etc, etc... (after Win 2k products) (Which/what/how much do you have?)

&) I just reread your problem: Under Outlook - /tools/options/mail delivery - there is a box to check that says "Send mail immediately when connected"... (just a thought).

+) HTML should have everything you need (other than an automatic spell checker... you have to "push the button" 'check spelling' before you send...

ps) I'm continuing this PM unless someone else would like to follow the saga.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith