Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
~ now i'm vacation

but the teacher wants to rain my parade! OTL (see man is sick)

the TOEIC homework is so hard! ^ ^;;;;;;

please help!!

I just want to throw everything and run away ... It just made me look irresponsible...

so here is don't know question

11. The instructions on Mr Yang's bottle said to take the pills ___________ until finished.

a) p.m.
b) a.m.
c) a.p.
d) a.u.

I can't understand what is this abreviation.... but you are natural that the nativespeaker has inbred English until birth…….

(I got blacked out yesterday from the beer....

OTL = man is vomit on grond

my position is very uncomfortable. I threw out my back. ^^

sorry ! ^^;;;;;

i must try to be calm and reserve boy for you!!!! Do I have to make it explicit?
Live a responsible life!

thank you for reply soon!

i am waiting....

goodnight!

& &............... *

(the men sit watch a star) ^ ^

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a.p. means as prescribed.

TEd
#153887 01/16/06 12:53 PM
I
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
...sorry

Last edited by iamkimjoochang; 01/16/06 12:54 PM.
#153888 01/16/06 12:56 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Mr Kim. I live in Tianjin. I work on a production line with 3 Koreans. We spend over 10 hours a day together, communicating mostly in English, because my Korean is very poor. Now and then, they teach me a few expressions in Hangul, and I try to help them to improve their English, as best I can, because it is our only means of communicating with our employers.

I'll tell you what I am going to do. I am going to print off your post. Then tomorrow, I am going to very carefully cut out each word and put it into a hat. During my lunch break, I am going to sprinkle the contents of my hat onto the floor. Then I will ask my Korean co-workers to read out the words as they have fallen on the floor, according to the laws of chance.

That way, they'll stand a better chance of understanding your English than I do.

Last edited by Homo Loquens; 01/16/06 12:58 PM.
#153889 01/16/06 02:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
HL

Your cruelty is as appalling as your stupidity. Why don't you stop being such an asshole?

In fact, why don't you stop being here?

TEd
#153890 01/16/06 04:52 PM
M
addict
addict
M
As a native English speaker, I was mystified by the question as well. I actually happen to have an Rx bottle right here. It says:
"IMPORTANT: Finish All Of This Medication Unless Otherwise Directed By Prescriber."

I can remember in high school taking a "standardized" test that had several questions which involved interpreting a train schedule. We lived over 500 miles from the nearest train station and no one in the entire school had ever seen one before. 25 years later and I still haven't had to read a train schedule!

#153891 01/16/06 05:07 PM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
I am not surprised that you have trouble with this question. (and please ignore the rudeness above, I wonder how he would sound in your language!)
Most English speakers are familiar with a.m. - morning (anti-meridion or before noon) and p.m. - afternoon (post or after meridion)
Few would know a.p. (as prescribed) unless their doctor or pharmacist explained it.
I had to ask the pharmacist, whose office is beside my desk, what a.u. meant. She said that it meant in each ear, but needed to look it up to check.
Very difficult homework indeed.
edit: that can't be right. I reread your post and it can't mean take a pill in each ear so our pharmacist wouldn't answer your question correctly either.

Last edited by Zed; 01/16/06 05:10 PM.
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
No, she's correct, but the question may not be well-formed.

"a.m." and "p.m." as instructions would have a "q" in front of them. They all stand for Latin words, not English ones. The "q" is for "quod" and "q. a.m." literally means "quod ante meridian," that is, "each morning." "Q pm" similarly means each afternoon.

In the abbreviation '"a.u." the "a" is for Latin "auris" = English "ear." AD is aurum dexter = right ear; AS is aurum sinister = left ear; AU is both ears. (I'm sorry but I don't know what the U expands to in Latin.) Similar considerations apply to OD, OS, and OU where O = oculus = eye.

Incidentally it is now considered that those six abbreviations should be avoided because they are open to misinterpretation. Doctors' are notorious for having bad handwriting, and every so often an "o.d." is misread as a "q.d." ("quod die" = once daily); and worse, the period is read as an "i" and the abbreviation is misread as "qid" = "quart. in die" = "four times a day," and the patient gets a large overdose by the wrong route. It doesn't happen often, but a small percent of millions and millions of prescriptions is a significant number, even if it's a very small rate.

"A.P." is an abbreviation I was never taught and never heard of; "as prescribed" is as good a meaning as any, but it's not universal. When I can't be specific about what the dose will be because it changes frequently, or the instructions would be too long to fit on a label, what I've written is "U D," for 'ut dict.", meaning "as directed."

I'll remember A.P. If the pharmacist doesn't know it he/she'll call and ask what I meant.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Anyway Kim, the answer is C, ante prandium : Before meals.

#153894 01/17/06 02:21 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Quote:

I am not surprised that you have trouble with this question. (and please ignore the rudeness above, I wonder how he would sound in your language!)
Most English speakers are familiar with a.m. - morning (anti-meridion or before noon) and p.m. - afternoon (post or after meridion)
Few would know a.p. (as prescribed) unless their doctor or pharmacist explained it.
I had to ask the pharmacist, whose office is beside my desk, what a.u. meant. She said that it meant in each ear, but needed to look it up to check.
Very difficult homework indeed.
edit: that can't be right. I reread your post and it can't mean take a pill in each ear so our pharmacist wouldn't answer your question correctly either.

It's meridiem, not "meridion".

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 676 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith