Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#153376 01/09/06 12:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Oh and Consuelo, your lengthy personal message (albeit a little on the servile side for my taste) was appreciated. Thank you.

Ha! Connie?! Servile?! That'll be the day!

#153377 01/09/06 12:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Excuse me, but I have not sent any personal messages to Homoloquens since his initial postings. I certainly have not sent him any in response to this thread.

Thank you, Faldage, for posting this.

#153378 01/11/06 03:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
IT'S HARD TO BE HUMBLE

by Mac Davis

[Chorus]
Oh Lord It's Hard to be humble
When you're perfect
in every way.
I can't wait
To look in the mirror.
'Cause I get better
looking each day.
To know me is to love me.
I must be a hell of a man.
Oh Lord It's hard to be humble,
but I'm doing
the best that I can.

I used to
have a girlfriend,
but I guess
she just couldn't compete,
with all of these
love-starved women,
who keep clowering
at my feet.
Oh I probably could
find me another,
but I guess they're all in awe of me.
Who cares?
I never get lonsome.
'Cause I treasure my own company.

[Chorus]
When you're perfect
in every way.
I can't wait
To look in the mirror.
'Cause I get better
looking each day.
but I'm doing
the best that I can.

I guess you could say
I'm a loner.
A cowboy out
lone, tough, and proud.
I could have lots of friends
If I wanted.
But then I wouldn't
stand out from the crowd.
Some folks say that
I'm egotistical.
Hell I don't even know
what that means.
I guess it has something to do
with the way that I
fill out my skin-tight jeans.

[Chorus]
When you're perfect
in every way.
I can't wait
To look in the mirror.
'Cause I get better
looking each day.
but I'm doing
the best that I can.

I'm dooing the best that I caaaaan.

--(c) 1975 by Mac Davis

#153379 01/25/06 02:24 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Come back, Homo, you need Awad more than Awad needs you.

The motley Awaders here will serve as precursors to the people who you will amaze with your brilliance and offend with your arrogrance in your adult life yet to come.

Here you will learn humility and politeness to go with your role as a self-described lynchpin.

I, for one, beg for your return.
And I have the proxy of two shy others.

milo, I was just wondering what your opinion of this guy is now, now that we've all had a chance to see a bit more of his brilliance; and how do you think he's doing on the learning humility and politeness part?

and what about those two proxies?

#153380 01/29/06 02:17 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

milo, I was just wondering what your opinion of this guy is now, now that we've all had a chance to see a bit more of his brilliance; and how do you think he's doing on the learning humility and politeness part?

and what about those two proxies?

Let me so far presume upon our acquaintance which, however slight it may appear if judged by the standard of mere time, is founded, as I hope and believe, on a sentiment of mutual esteem, as to request of you forgiveness. But, should I have overstepped the limits of reserve let the sincerity of my feelings be the excuse for my boldness. I appreciate to the full the motives which actuate your conduct and I am consoled by the reflection that, though the message be one of sorrow, the proof of confidence evident in your candour extenuates in some measure the bitterness of the cup. And now, at last, suffer me to take your hand: The goodness of your heart, I feel sure, will dictate to you better than my inadequate words the expressions which are most suitable to convey an emotion whose poignancy, were I to give vent to my feelings, would deprive me even of speech: My disconsolate heart has been rived in twain with sorrow.

#153381 01/29/06 04:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Politeness = 9
Humility = (the words have *some)
Originality = 2
Sincerity = ? (Hmmm...)
Proxys = at least 1 (James Joyce)

#153382 01/29/06 08:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"So Bob Doran comes lurching around asking Bloom to tell Mrs Dignam he was sorry for her trouble and he was very sorry about the funeral and to tell her that he said and everyone who knew him said that there was never a truer, a finer than poor little Willy that's dead to tell her. Choking with bloody foolery. And shaking Bloom's hand doing the tragic to tell her that. Shake hands, brother. You're a rogue and I'm another.

-- Let me, said he, so far presume upon our acquaintance which, however slight it may appear if judged by the standard of mere time, is founded, as I hope and believe, on a sentiment of mutual esteem, as to request of you this favour. But, should I have overstepped the limits of reserve let the sincerity of my feelings be the excuse for my boldness.

-- No, rejoined the other, I appreciate to the full the motives which actuate your conduct and I shall discharge the office you entrust to me consoled by the reflection that, though the errand be one of sorrow, this proof of your confidence sweetens in some measure the bitterness of the cup.

-- Then suffer me to take your hand, said he. The goodness of your heart, I feel sure, will dictate to you better than my inadequate words the expressions which are most suitable to convey an emotion whose poignancy, were I to give vent to my feelings, would deprive me even of speech."
Ulysses, Chapter 12, Part One~James Joyce

That knocks the politeness factor waaay down, as it is terribly impolite to quote someone else's works without acknowledging the author.

#153383 01/29/06 09:42 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Ulysses is famous. That is the point. It is a quotation of that famous burlesque of maudlin and ridiculous civility, such as I intended to imply was being expected of me here.

As I said in a private message recently, what this place lacks is attitude. It's like a knitting circle for a bunch of old cross-word biddies.

But consuelo -- in her impatience to try and expose me as a plagiarist, perhaps in an effort to rid the board of someone who threatens her intelligence -- sees fit to quote the passage at length, having googled a few keywords, and utterly kill the joke.

So anyway, like, yah, consuelo, cos' you are on the subject, how do you think the, like, symbolisation of the figure of Polyphemeus of ancient Greece in the Fenian Citizen of fin-de-siècle Dublin bears on the metempsychotic Ulysses in the particular episode you have pasted there?

Listen. The episode you have raised for discussion is The Cyclops. It's not part one. It's from part two. There can be no "Chapter 12, Part One" because part one consist of only three chapters.

This all frustrates me, but then I look at your photo. A beautiful woman will be forgiven for stupidity.

You will not.

Last edited by Homo Loquens; 01/29/06 09:49 PM.
#153384 01/29/06 09:45 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Don't provoke Homo Loquens. He will make you look like a fool.

#153385 01/29/06 10:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The First Epistle of Paul to the Corinthians

XIII

[1] IF I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am become sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal.
[2] And if I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

formerly known as etaoin...
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 818 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith