Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You might try a little humor: "soul-brother"; "the brother I never knew I had"; "the brother my parents never knew I had", etc.

#152578 12/31/05 02:48 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> "the brother I never knew I had"; "the brother my parents never knew I had", etc.

Touchy subject in this DNA-test age...!

M
stranger
stranger
M
I like the compadre and comadre words..altho i think it'll be easier to introduce the two if you are able to say "comadre" first. Everyone (including me up to 5 minutes ago here) thinks they know what a compadre is...

Home boy is good but I'd only use that in certain situations....

"Brother from another mother" might fit your bill...

btw...just stumbled across this board after knowing the defintion of Anthropomophic in a game of cranium last night but not having the conviction to talk my team (the men) out of saying the defintion was an insect evolving to another stage...

Looking forward to learning and hoping I can contribute.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> I can contribute

Welcome mistermatt. Draw up a chair. If you can't draw, just sit.

Last edited by maverick; 01/02/06 04:44 PM.
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Quote:

I like the compadre and comadre words..altho i think it'll be easier to introduce the two if you are able to say "comadre" first. Everyone (including me up to 5 minutes ago here) thinks they know what a compadre is...

Agreed. The more I think about it, though, these two words may work (and I'll probably use them until I/we find something else. However, there's one part of the definition I have a problem with, and it is this that makes me hesitant.

"... you would trust with the life and wellbeing of your child, whether that person is a godparent to your child or not or even if you had a child or not." A couple of these people I mentioned I love dearly, but I'm not sure that I would trust them with the life and wellbeing of my child. I'm not sure they're that responsible.

So, I guess I'm looking for something that has a similar meaning, but does not convey that sense of trusting them with the life of my child. See my original post for more details.

Wow! This is harder than I thought it would be to find.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Though dated, I like bosom buddy, too. It's very self-explanatory.

Also, saying "This is Paul, one of my best friends" will also convey the closeness you feel to this person without having to explain anything, na?

==========================================

So, Belgarion...have you read the whole series? Pretty great read, eh?

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
I find that the term " one of my people" is very useful, I a playful way. I kind of like to use it as a playful poke at the idea of elitism, etc. When I say it to my wife, I might mean my male friends that I meet for coffee. As in" My people don't really drink anything but straight espresso" The same with "your people" As in " your people love to discuss emotions, don't they. I like to think of it as referring to my pack of hound dogs.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

"... you would trust with the life and wellbeing of your child, whether that person is a godparent to your child or not or even if you had a child or not." A couple of these people I mentioned I love dearly, but I'm not sure that I would trust them with the life and wellbeing of my child. I'm not sure they're that responsible.

Compadre and comadre are also used in a shallower context. I'm sure my mother-in-law would have objected quite strenuously to some of my father-in-law's "compadres" as guardians of her children! Primo/a means cousin and is another word that is used frequently for this type of friendship.

Last edited by consuelo; 01/15/06 11:41 AM.
stranger
stranger
I have just such a friend. He is my "brother from another mother".

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,577 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith