Page 2 of 2 1 2
#152383 12/21/05 05:02 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Thank you all; Consuelo as well as Mav have a handle on the phenom

But forgive me for my unGeeklike ignorance of the ways of Bill Gates. The cause of the problem (Father, this might be how you got tripped up) is inadvertently hitting "Logout":

Once you have done this the site won't let you back in until you first go to the "login" page, duly log in, then check the "Remember me on each visit" box. Thereafter you will always be logged in until you again hit "Logout"

One side benefit to this thread is that I have finally learned my password. However, I'm still not sure whether my name is dale hileman, dalehileman, of Dale Hileman

dalehileman
#152384 12/22/05 01:37 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

helo ppl...
i keep noticing that here this forum or board is being referred to as the new board...why?? what was so particular about the old one? was it better thats why its being missed so much..or what??

We refer to it as the new board because it is new. Nothing special about the old board to make us all nostalgic over it or anything (well, some of us miss Ænigma, but that's a whole nother story). You should know that many of us spent a long time on the old board and many relationships were formed. We fully expect new ones to form on this board, so it's not like we're some closed society that will forever bar folks who weren't on the old board, but just know that it was the old board and this one is the new board. It also happened fairly recently. We may stop calling this the new board sometime in the not so distant future.

#152385 12/22/05 11:43 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> why Anu would pay for forum software, and then not have someone around to watch over it...

A cynical marketing guru replies:

Anu's prime interest is clearly in the overall website, which is where most of his energy is focussed. Having an active board makes for a website that's *much more highly rated by the google algor(e)ithym, since it is highly active and change is a Good Thing... and every time we post a link it creates extra connectivity which is also a Good Thing... and it provides a hook to hang google ads on which is a Good Thing since it creates revenue... whereas anything more than cursory adminstration costs serious money which is a Bad Thing...

[/cynicalbastard.com]

#152386 12/22/05 12:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I guess my main thought was "pay", when there are several very good freeware forumwares out there. and UBB ain't cheap.

not my dollar, I guess.

formerly known as etaoin...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 752 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith