Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

"Look!" suddenly exclaimed Ned. "There's the agent now! ... I'm going to speak to him!" impulsively declared Ned.

This kind of thing has recently become very unfashionable. Writing guides completely agree on the point:

Quote:

Excess adverbiage reflects the style of an immature writer

Some brag happily of having rarely used an adverb. And, while I feel initially a certain resistance to this aversion to the adverb, I actually cannot easily find a sentence which is not slightly or greatly improved by simply omitting the adverb.

Where do you stand?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When you need an adverb, use an adverb. When you don't, don't.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"One rarely needs an adverb," he responded occasionally.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I agree; and yet two consecutive adverbs can produce (I think) a mellifluous double alveolar: "Molly rarely poorly uses an adverb."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Jeesh. It's just language. It's not like it's some kind of life threatening situatation or something.

#152183 12/18/05 09:57 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

Jeesh. It's just language. It's not like it's some kind of life threatening situatation or something.

Faldage, why do your posts on this board so often attempt to foreclose debate? Is it because you have nothing interesting to say?

Last edited by Homo Loquens; 12/18/05 09:59 AM.
E
addict
addict
E
Quote:

Quote:

Faldage, why do your posts on this board so often attempt to foreclose debate? Is it because you have nothing interesting to say?

Lighten up, HL. How can one person close debate with a single remark like this? I think your question is out of line and impolite. Personal insults are not necessary.

Does anyone remember Tom Swifties?

"I'll take the prisoner downstairs," said Tom condescendingly.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

You mean, like this?

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=155408

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

You mean, like this? http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=155408

Yes, just like that.

Consider: I asked his reasons for attempting to foreclose a debate, and volunteered it was because he has nothing interesting to say. You remember I have also attempted to foreclose a "debate", and in your impatience to expose me as a hypocrite (which your hasty interpretation of the facts leads you to assume I am) commit a fallacy of false assumption.

Annastrophic: "A thinks B does C because of D. A does C. Therefore, A does C because of D."

Let me resolve the apparent hypocrisy for you : The opposite cause to that which I imputed the foreclosure of debate in his case to in my case is the foreclosure of debate imputable to.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> The opposite cause to that which I imputed the foreclosure of debate in his case to in my case is the foreclosure of debate imputable to.

...the common features of which are your overwheening arrogance and rudeness. Why do you bother with this empty yapping?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 854 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith