About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

we don't need no steenkin' word police neither.

I have turned my certificate from the Word Police Academy toward the wall in order to be allowed to continue to post here. Tell me when it is safe to turn it back around.

~Officer Father Steve

upon seeing this, I recovered my certificate from the dustbin. somebody has to maintain order arou.. oh, wait. that's Jackie's job. never mind.

<fold.. fold.. fold.. fling>

#151401 12/03/05 07:04 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Interesting website tsuwm.

Do you have to be a Yahoo! (so to speak) to get wwftd? The "subscribe" link takes me to the Yahoo! group, but I'm with gmail.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Quote:

we don't need no steenkin' word police neither.

So, what?! Me 'n' Father Steve aren't welcome here?

I think maybe lots of us got our badges from The Atlantic before it stopped issuing them. I very nearly printed mine up, back in the day.

#151403 12/04/05 10:59 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Forgive me, I should have corrected this in my original post. Mock-illiterate is not the appropriate term to use for this type of writing. It would be more appropriate to call it writing in dialect. I think if I were dyslexic, I would be more upset by you equating my disability to illiteracy than by reading anything that was written in dialect. Several of us personally have met one member here that is dyslexic and she has never objected to any of us purposefully misspelling words on this board and she does not come here to "improve his(her)literacy", but to engage in interesting discourse and enjoy playing with words and ideas. She knows that we value her vast knowledge and keen wit more than her spelling abilities and that we would never pick her posts apart, pointing out the errors she makes. Could you say the same, Ulrich?
Quote:

God help us it has all gotten suddenly very, very childish

I would say instead "God help us it has all gotten suddenly very, very holier than thou."
I was merely practicing "jocose banter", trying to lighten a bit the load you have suddenly dumped on this board while you, on the other hand, appear to be an equal opportunity insulter. The majority of us come here as a haven from shite and onions and do not appreciate it when someone like you comes along and makes life on the board a miserable place to seek refuge. As TEd said in another thread,
Quote:

I think you have a lot to offer, but not when you call people idiots and accuse them of ineptness.

#151404 12/04/05 05:29 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

The majority of us come here as a haven from shite and onions and do not appreciate it when someone like you comes along and makes life on the board a miserable place to seek refuge.

Really? Is that what I am doing? According to who?

What an extraordinarily unexpected twist this query about mailing lists has taken!

It is certainly not my intention to make your lives miserable, and so, seeing as this thread has already reached the all-time low watermark of ad hominem digression from the discussion of words, I propose a game:

Two more affirmative answers to the above question (by two more posters save yourself, whose vote has been counted) and Homo Loquens strikes out, thereupon to tie up his immigrants' handkerchief bundle of Joycean abstrusiosities, and disappear into cyberspace.

P.S.
Ulrich? My name is Sebastian. You are mistaking me for another poster, probably because I mentioned in another thread something I read in the AWADtalk archives.

Last edited by Homo Loquens; 12/06/05 03:31 AM.
#151405 12/04/05 06:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

P.S.
Ulrich? My name is Sebastian. You are mistaking me for another poster, probably because I mentioned in another thread something I read in the AWADtalk archives.

You're certain about your name? Here's a post from Homo Loquenz on another board, two months ago, at high noon:

Mudge,
Do you know what? I began reading your essay 'Be Brief" without at first knowing it was "instruction by negative example". Something was fishy all right, but what? I was well near half-way through it before I realised that surely to God a written excoriation of verbiage that used so much first-class verbiage had to be a joke! I'd been duped!

Henry, you're very tech savvy if you're as old as Mudge implies you are! Do you know my mother cannot even TURN ON the computer, and she's only... no, if she found out I told you her age, my life would be over.

Regards,

--Ulrich.

That board is found at this URL: http://snipurl.com/khem

Sancho Panza:

A little gossip... a little chat...
A little idle talk of this and that...
If no one listens,
Then it's just as well,
At least I won't get cuaght in any lies I tell

TEd
#151406 12/05/05 12:20 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Why not use the new, improved "vote-a-lator" feature in this board to conduct an informal poll?

#151407 12/05/05 12:32 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hast thou found me, O mine enemy?

#151408 12/05/05 01:59 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ulrich, you are doing the same thing you did when you were posting as ullrich: implying that the rest of us are ignorant/foolish/stupid. I have noticed that this occurs pretty much whenever someone voices a different opinion from yours. Different tastes do not equate to stupidity. Hmm--let's say that I had tried to get you to embrace, oh, say Eminem, and you told me that you didn't care for him. But if I were passionate about him, I might tell you something like, "Trying to run down Eminem is so very silly. He is one of the most important singers of the modern movement. Even the New York Times will tell you that. And unlike the hack blurb-authors of teen magazine hyperbole, qualified reviewers don't throw superlatives at singers willy-nilly. At the risk of offending you, I have to say that you are only making yourself look stupid. Eminem represents the voice of the people." Now--if you agree that not liking or understanding Eminem doesn't make you an ignoramus, then I hope you can also see that someone who doesn't like or understand Joyce isn't necessarily stupid. The vast majority of regular posters here have very high intelligence. Very high. And despite that, we have managed to learn not to insult each other, or at least to work it out if we have, and at the very least agree to differ. So far, you haven't seemed willing to concede that anyone who doesn't think the way you do might be just as entitled to his or her opinion as you are to yours; and if that doesn't change, I think that once again you will not be welcome here.

Also, posting insults and then saying you were only bantering won't soothe people's feelings, either. The right of teasing-by-insult comes only after a long-enough and well-understood relationship that ensures that all parties know it IS teasing. You are still too new here--in any persona--to have earned that right.

#151409 12/05/05 02:17 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Great post, Jackie. Truly excellent, take a bow! [looking-for-standing-o-emoticon]

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 773 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith