Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

arruginated

I came across this word in Ulysses and I'm totally stumped.

It's not in a single dictionary in my possession. The closest is "ruggedized" (American).

I have tried looking for roots or a cognate. The closest is "rug".

It conspicuous by its absence in the annotations in the Oxford World's Classic version (annotated by Jeri Johnson), otherwise comprehensive.

It is conspicuous by its absence in all of the guide books. I have three, one of which -- Ulysses Annotated by Don Gifford -- is a tomb, an encyclopaedia, and besides, includes entries even when the source of an unusual word or term is unknown (e.g. Somethingorother : The source of this term is unknown).

Google returns 231 for arruginated, none of them definitions, all of them on e-texts of Ulysses.

Was it a typo? Perhaps it should read "originated" ? The 1922 text of Ulysses contains a number of typos, all of them mentioned in an appendix with correction. Arruginated is not mentioned in the appendix of ammendations. I have not found a version in which it does not read "arruginated". And on the Naxos unabridged audio-recording of Ulysses, Jim Norton, the narrator, reads it as "arruginated" (pronouncing it "or-RIG-i-nay-tid" with the RIG rhymes with "pig").

A search of a highly active Yahoo! re-through group --"Joyce-Ulysses · A look at James Joyce's Ulysses" -- with 616 members and 6 years of posts does not yield a single result.

If AWADtalk cannot help, I will have to consign it to the unknown as a mystery all indissoluble. But then, why should there be no mention of it anywhere?

Episode : Ithaca.
Context : Mr Bloom is unlocking the garden gate to let Stephen Dedalus out :

Quote:

By inserting the barrel of an arruginated male key in the hole of an unstable female lock, obtaining a purchase on the bow of the key and turning its wards from right to left, withdrawing a bolt from its staple, pulling inward spasmodically an obsolescent unhinged door and revealing an aperture for free egress and free ingress.

Last edited by Homo Loquens; 11/30/05 07:09 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yow. that's a tough one. no luck for me.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Quote:

arruginated

Was it a typo? Perhaps it should read "originated" ? The 1922 text of Ulysses contains a number of typos, all of them mentioned in an appendix with correction.

{Shakes head in disbelief}

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

Was it a typo? Perhaps it should read "originated" ? The 1922 text of Ulysses contains a number of typos, all of them mentioned in an appendix with correction.
--Homo Loquens.

{Shakes head in disbelief}
-- Flange

I'm not sure what the source of this disbelief is; whether it is disbelief at the fact that the first edition of Ulysses contained a number of typos or whether it is disbelief that my sentence about typos is itself a kind of typo.

That Ulysses contains a number of typos, at least, should not surprise you.

* Second only to Finnegans Wake, it is the most difficult novel in any language.

* Joyce's hand writing was notoriously spidery

* The typesetters were French with a limited grasp of English (The New York Society for the Suppression of Vice took the first publishers of Ulysses to court on charges of publishing "obscenity" on 14 February, 1921 and won. Thereafter, all publication in the English-speaking world stopped. A ban on publication of Ulysses was not lifted until the landmark decision of the Hon. John M. Woolsey of the US District Court in 1933).

Clearly, you are unaware that there is considerable controversy regarding the authentication of the most significant artefact of literary modernism : Ulysses.

The first edition -- Shakespeare and Company, Paris, 1922 -- was riddled with typos for reasons mentioned above, and Joyce died before an authorised emendation had been made.

Later "corrected" versions tended to be as controversial to Ulysses's champions as the original had been to its detractors since they largely depended on one's choice of copy-text and approach to conflating the various galley-proofs and manuscripts in circulation.

The most recent solution is to use the 1922 text with a list of emendations, an errata -- sometimes supplying more than one erratum in each instance -- all carefully numbered by line and paginated.

The Oxford World's Classics edition of Ulysses ("This is the one to buy" --Times Literary Supplement) for example, is kind of like Ulysses in situ: literally a facsimile of the original 1922, with offset words, ink blotches, upside-down letters, and so on, all left unaltered: "Joyces 'misses in prints' [1] are now yours" (Jeri Johnson, Introduction to Ulysses).

In reply to your reply, Flange, let me repeat:

Ulysses contains a number of typos, all of them mentioned in the errata to modern facsimiles of the 1922 Shakespeare and Company text.

This word "arruginated" is not mentioned anywhere; neither in the gloss, nor in the errata.

As it happens, I have since received a reply from a Joyce reader providing a definition for this obscure-as-hell word if anyone is interested (although it would appear at this point that anyone [sic] is not) :

arruginated on the pattern of rugine + ar- prefix variant spelling of ad- assimilated before r (as in arrive, arrogate).

rugine
v. t. [F. ruginer to scrape.] To scrape or rasp, as a bone;
to scale. [R.] --Wiseman.
n. [F.] (Surg.) An instrument for scraping the periosteum from bones; a raspatory.

as a back-reference to earlier mention of the key :

The key scraped round harshly twice and, when the heavy door had been
set ajar, welcome light and bright air entered.
Telemachus, Ulysses

Oh, and just in passing, Flange (turning to Flange) isn't it time you grew out of the (arms akimbo, rolling eyes) oh-so-childish device of referring to yourself on message forums in (sneering sardonically) the third person?

[1] Finnegans Wake.

Edit : Removed snipe.

Last edited by Homo Loquens; 11/30/05 02:57 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
huh. rugine. wouldn't thought to look for that. perhaps one of our doctor types would have picked up on it.

I find it curious that editions give errata, rather than just fixing them in place, but I understand the whole "historical" thang, too.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There is a rarish word arrugia in Lewis & Short that is glossed as 'a shaft and pit in a gold mine'; it's a hapax in Pliny. It is suggested that the word may be related to runco 'to weed', runcina, Greek orusso 'to dig', oruxo 'to dig'.

[Addendum / edit: added gloss for runco.]

Last edited by zmjezhd; 11/30/05 07:40 PM.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

I find it curious that editions give errata, rather than just fixing them in place, but I understand the whole "historical" thang, too.

The errata? Yeah. It's basically because in most cases there is confusion as to which was the final proof and which emendation of several different emendations on several different manuscripts Joyce would have approved of and so on.

One guy (German textual critic and English professor Walter Gabler, 1984) even published a version with two versions! The verso or left-hand pages of his Beijing-telephone-directory-sized tomb for a 'synoptic text' (a critically edited version in "compositional development" displayed by a system of diacritics) and the retro or right-hand pages displaying the "continuous reading text" resulting from an extrapolation without diacritics of the edition text.

Trust me, get the version with the errata.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Edit : I'm sorry, but I have decided you are the kind of message-forum-poster who turns his nose up at, and makes evasive slights about, things he doesn't know anything about. It has demoted you significantly in my esteem. But thanks for the chuckle.

much better done in a PM.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
--and incorrect, at that.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

much better done in a PM

Fixed (excepting that, rather ironically, it lives on in your reproof).

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith