Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
Defining perirrhanterium

a. a box that allows access through sealed hand apertures so that dangerous substances may be handled safely
Definition by consuelo
Chosen by Alex Williams

b. a broad, shallow tank for demonstrating how ripples and waves are formed
Definition by wofahulicodoc
Not chosen

c. A sanctuary for the spirits of the dead and subsequent séances.
Definition by musick
Chosen by owlbow

d. a visually apparent physical feature of Neanderthals that signaled a significant racial disability which precluded any major integration with Cro-magnon man.
Definition by themilum
Not chosen

e. An animal that is immune to the toxin(s) of another plant or animal and is thereby protected from its predators when in close proximity to the poisonous life form.
Definition by owlbow
Chosen by TEd Remington

f. An instrument for sprinkling holy water, especially upon the newly baptised
Correct Definition
Chosen by Jackie and Tsuwm

g. noun Photography : a person, usually a pedestrian, coincidentally standing in the background of an outdoor photograph who is unknown to both sitter and photographer. [from 'peri-' round + 'rhanter' from 'estrange' see 'stranger' + '-ium' see -ion]
Definition by Homo Loquens
Chosen by AnnaStrophic

h. Rare plant found in Anatolia which is believed to be the wild ancestor of the onion family
Definition by Bingley
Chosen by Faldage

i. spore case
Definition by TEd Remington
Chosen by wofahulidoc

j. That portion of the mouth which immediately surrounds the front teeth.
Definition by Father Steve
Chosen by etaoin and Homo Loquens

k. The area between the back and the front.
Definition by Jackie
Not chosen

l. The border of an area in which no philosophical discourse is allowed.
Definition by Faldage
Chosen by themilum and musick

m. The phlange-like component used to connect lengths of tube in ancient Roman viaducts.
Definition by AnnaStrophic
Chosen by Father Steve

n. The protein capsule of an RNA virus of the bunyaviridae family.
Definition by Alex Williams
Chosen by consuelo

Bingley
B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
One of the books I'm currently reading is The Complete English Poems of George Herbert. Perirrhanterium is the title he gave to one part of his collection of poems called The Temple.

I copied the definition "An instrument for sprinkling holy water, especially upon the newly baptised" verbatim from the notes provided by the editor of the Penguin edition. However, the only references to this word revealed by googling come from sites about Herbert.

Could our ecclesiastical correspondent shed any light on the matter?

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>..not to mention that the -rrh- suggests it's Greek, not Latin...

and indeed, this appears to be one of those Greek/Latin dichotomies where the Latin won out; viz. aspergillum.

edit
hmmm
that looks more like an aspersory (the bucket) than it does the aspergillum (the wand).

Last edited by tsuwm; 11/29/05 05:22 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Every good Anglican is a huge fan of George Herbert and thus has read all of his poetry. I think it is required by one of the vows taken at Holy Baptism or some such. Because of this shared literacy, every Anglican knows the term Perirrhanterium and its meaning, but only from the footnotes in the book of Herbert's poems. The utensil in question is more often called aspergillium (Latin), or aspersorium (Latin) or goupillon (French, I think). Even these words are fading in Anglican vocabulary as holy water is so often tossed about using small branches of shrubs and trees rather than a sprinkler.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> using small branches of shrubs and trees

how Pagan!

(hi Elizabeth!)

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Every good Anglican is a huge fan of George Herbert and thus has read all of his poetry. I think it is required by one of the vows taken at Holy Baptism or some such. Because of this shared literacy, every Anglican knows the term Perirrhanterium and its meaning, but only from the footnotes in the book of Herbert's poems. The utensil in question is more often called aspergillium (Latin), or aspersorium (Latin) or goupillon (French, I think). Even these words are fading in Anglican vocabulary as holy water is so often tossed about using small branches of shrubs and trees rather than a sprinkler.

Dare I ask then why you, our favorite good Anglican, chose my daffynition, misspelled as flange was?

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Anna the implication is that our Father Steve is a bad Anglican. *clucks tongue*

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I thought it was cute that Connie and Alex chose each other's.

B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
Perhaps the good Father felt that a display of professional knowledge might spoil the game for others since they would naturally follow his lead rather than try to find the correct answer themselves.

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Anna asks Dare I ask then why you, our favorite good Anglican, chose my daffynition, misspelled as flange was?

And the answer is: "peri-" is a prefix which appears in lots of medical terms meaning around or surrounding. A flange/phlange does that. The rest of the term had a nice Greco-Roman ring (no pun intended) to it. So I picked Anna's definition, in part as a feint, a dodge, a crude attempt to deflect respondents to her answer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 955 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith