About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> Google bibble-babble.

yeah, sorry, sort of like a regular conversation.
I didn't feel that I have much to offer when it comes to Joyce, other than to think that your friend was swayed (incorrectly, in the end) by the word "sum". seems to me that mav has the best of it.
I also got a bit thrown by the whole "acoustic/electrical" thing. what's up with that?

formerly known as etaoin...
addict
addict
I don't presume to understand the sentence 'acos I don't very much.

But the "acoustic/electrical" thing might refer to thunder and lightning? The one always follows the other.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

I also got a bit thrown by the whole "acoustic/electrical" thing. what's up with that?

Oh, that. Easily explained :

Quote:

The difficulties of interpretation since the significance of any event followed its occurrence as variably as the acoustic report followed the electrical discharge

In other words: Event is to portent what thunder is to lightning.

It's what is meant by counter- in

Quote:

The difficulties of [...] counterestimating against an actual loss by failure to interpret the total sum of possible losses proceeding originally from a successful interpretation

that's troubling.

Counter- as in counterespionage (which would make counterestimating the opposite of estimating hence by a failure to interpret) or as in counterpart (which would make by failure to interpret difficult to interpret -- how can you find it difficult to fail to do something? I find it terribly easy to fail myself) ?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

… how can you find it difficult to fail to do something? I find it terribly easy to fail myself) ?

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
What, reduced to their simplest reciprocal form, were Homo Loquens's thoughts about Faldage's thoughts about Homo Loquens, and Homo Loquens's thoughts about Faldage's thoughts about Homo Loquens's thoughts about Faldage?

He knew that he thought that he was an idiot, but he knew that he knew that he knew that he was the idiot.

Last edited by Homo Loquens; 11/25/05 04:54 PM.
T
veteran
veteran
T
"The difficulties of interpretation since the significance of any event followed
its occurrence as variably as the acoustic report followed the electrical discharge
and of counterestimating against an actual loss by failure to interpret the total sum
of possible losses proceeding originally from a successful interpretation." -- James Joyce

I would like to compare notes with someone on the correct interpretation of this sentence!~ Homo Loquens

My interpertation:

It is hard to interpret any event yet to occur since the importance of the clues you recieve from the world around you are as variable as the length of time it takes a thunderclap to retort from a flash of lightning.

And if you overthink the clues that foretell of the event by finding other explainations for the clues that foretell the event because you are afraid of losing, you might become befuddled; so you must delineate all the other possibilities and act only upon the one of your original inspiration.

Artistically I see two possibilities

(1) By offering the reader this convoluted paragraph James Joyce was attempting to imitate the convoluted thinking that is used in deciphering omens.

(2) James Joyce was well into the latter stages of insanity and the avant-garde crowd simply embraced his insanity as high Art.

Last edited by themilum; 11/25/05 07:43 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>James Joyce was well into the latter stages of insanity

in actuality, these were the early stages; in the latter stages he wrote Finnegan's Wake

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
As someone who adores his earlier writing I agree, tsuwm. If he starts to disappear up his own arse with Uselessease, he's somewhere around the upper colon with the Wake. Still, it's to a novel as a crossword puzzle is to a conversation I guess...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If he starts to disappear up his own arse with Uselessease, he's somewhere around the upper colon with the Wake.

Our boy Maverick knows how to turn a phrase.

T
veteran
veteran
T
He sure does Father, but as for me I have enough trouble understanding James Joyce.

But once in a blue moon I can turn a phrase myself.

Like when I sit down at my computer with a bottle of Jack Daniels and have intercourse with my goodbuddies on the Internet.

My Internet pals are unsophisticated. They usually write back in acronyms, like "WTF". And, sadly, the following morning, as I re-read what I have written the past night, I find out that I don't know "WTF" myself.

But to my great satisfaction as I try to decipher what I have written, I find that I sound a little bit like Maverick and a lot like James Joyce.

My heros.

Last edited by themilum; 11/26/05 09:27 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,344
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 782 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith