About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#150557 12/12/05 06:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm not sure what *truly needs to be accomplished by going backward. Editing an edit? Revisiting pages pre- certain posts?

The main index link at the top is the "front door" to go to once you exit the back door which automatically locks behind you. I think they call this a "schoolhouse" style door lock!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Pooh: Thanks
But how do you go back without the back button
Forgive an old non-geek for not mastering all the technique

what musick said; but sometimes that's not so helpful.

o Why do you want to go back?
- if it's to continue editing, don't do that! if you scroll down a bit you'll find an "Edit some more" box

- if it's to get past the original edit window; i.e., you really want to go back multiple pages, then right click on the back button and select the page you want from the drop-down menu.

- is there another reason to go back?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you can also use the "Index" link at the bottom of the thread (between "Previous" and "Next" to get you back to the list of threads for that category.

formerly known as etaoin...
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Thanks all for the tips. The trick of right-clicking on the Back button was a new one on me

I'm aware of the "Index," Main Index", "Next," "Previous" etc links but it's only out of sheer laziness I don't use them more since I resent the need for scrolling to access them. It is usu so much easier just to click on the "Back" button til I get where I want to be

Agreed that tweaking an algorithm is a tedious and thankless job--if not expensive too--and I wouldn't wish it on anybody just to satisfy the whim of a sluggard such as I. I had hoped that my proposal wouldn't be so difficult it performed during a routine upgrade

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dale, this just happened to me for the first time. Do you make all or most of your replies in the "Quick Reply" box? I think it really means it when it calls it quick. I usually use the reply button at the top of the most recent post, but today, I started my reply in the quick box, dilly dallied and shilly shallied and lost my whole post to the dreaded "This form is no longer valid. Please click the back button and try again." Well, of course by hitting the back button, my reply became sucked in by cyberspace and I had to start all over again.

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Con: No, never. Yet I have encountered the message must be hundreds of times, and I never know how many clicks will get me out of it. Too few and it stays there. Too many and I overshoot and find myself in the wrong window. Terrible nuisance, drives one to distraction. But in other respects this site is fine business and I love it, while I realize the Director can't address everybody's gripes on account of the extreme tedium entailed by even a minor software change

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Um. I have finally ventured back into Miscellany, having postponed it until I had 319 new posts here...(Had an overnight hospital stay--all ok now--and when I got back to my computer, Misc. had the largest # of new posts, so I put it off; then got caught up in holiday preparations. Whew.)

Anyway--it's possible I might be able to change the time limit, BUT one of the computer experts is going to have to tell me what to look for, probably by phone, and then I would have to get permission from Anu. This is HIS place. If he says no or doesn't reply, then I'm not doing a thing.

FWIW--I very seldom experience the Expired phenomenon; wonder if it makes a difference if you're on dial-up?

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Welcome back Jackie

But I thought almost nobody had dial-up these days

Con: Thank you I will try Quick Reply

Anu: Please don't misconstrue my occasional suggestions as criticism

Last edited by dalehileman; 12/30/05 07:00 PM.

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But I thought almost nobody had dial-up these days...

As of August 2005 the US ratio reached 60% *broadband and 40% dial up.

Dale, either you work for an ad agancy or you believe in them... LOL

#150566 12/30/05 09:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yep, here in farm country dial-up is the only affordable option.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,018 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith