About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

I have heard flicks or flics used in the Colonies. It is often heard in conjunction with a generic modifier, e.g. horror flics, chick flicks.

We use it here in the US and A, too.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
not to mention NetFlix...

formerly known as etaoin...
#149487 10/31/05 12:05 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Quote:

I have heard flicks or flics used in the Colonies. It is often heard in conjunction with a generic modifier, e.g. horror flics, chick flicks.

...and here I thought the flics were the gendarmes, who came to your rescue after you were attacked in Paris...

#149488 10/31/05 01:29 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I thought the flics were the gendarmes, who came to your rescue after you were been attacked in Paris

This cannot be so, because le ministère délégué au Tourisme assures one that no one is ever attacked in Paris.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Interesting article, especially about espresso -- and the modern knock off of the Sylex is great fun, if wasteful.

Note: the still from the graveyard of the percolators shows drip pots. The diagram of the Vesuvio omits the stem, which descends into the boiling water; in these pots, it is not the steam that passes through the grounds, but the water, which is forced by the steam.

I miss the pressure levers on commercial espresso makers, they all seem to have disappeared after the 70s.

Boiled coffee is best made by *not boiling, but adding grounds to water that has just been stopped from boiling -- or not allowed to reach that temperature.

I've heard temperatures of about 190 degrees, too.

You don't need a lab thermometer, an instant-read meat thermometer works very well. By drilling a small hole in the top of your kettle and inserting a small, inverted cone-shaped coil spring, you can make a handy mount for it.

The Dutch may have made a very strong infusion by brewing in room-temperature water in sunlight for a day or two, then decanting the clear dark liquor from the grounds which, by then, have settled. This is mixed with hot water for drinking, much like a samovar.

I don't care a hoot about this scrupulously clean business. But it's never wise to leave your coffee on the heat. And you can actually taste it much better black and at room temperature.

It is better to be addicted to coffee than to opiates.

Good coffee can be made with percolators, if you have technique and rythm, good timing, and panache.

Last edited by inselpeter; 10/31/05 02:35 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When I was a wee lad, my nanny was an Englishwoman married to a Norwegian. She prepared his coffee in an enamel saucepan which was badly stained from having had so much coffee brewed in it. Her method was to put cold water into the pan up to a dark ring which had been stained into the sides years before. Then she added coffee, half a broken egg shell and a pinch of salt to the cold water. This she put on the stove and watched it very, very carefully as it came just up to a boil -- which would lift the grounds on a foaming surface -- and remove it from the heat before it boiled over. Then it was allowed to steep for a bit, such that the grounds all settled to the bottom of the pan. She carefully racked off the coffee into large cups with about equal parts of hot milk sweetened with white sugar. As a youngster, I naturally thought everybody made it that way.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

She carefully racked off the coffee

racked off?

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

And you can actually taste it much better black and at room temperature.

That's why you drink it hot.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Quote:

Quote:

And you can actually taste it much better black and at room temperature.

That's why you drink it hot.

Ha!

You're nuts. Coffee is delicious.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
racked off?

A winemaking term meaning to allow solids to settle out of a liquid and then to carefully pour the liquid from the top, leaving the solids behind.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 651 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith