Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#14919 01/08/01 07:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
it would seem that "inverted commas" is only half of the story; e.g.,

Quotation marks (Print.), two inverted commas placed at the beginning, and two apostrophes at the end, of a passage quoted from an author in his own words. [Webster's Revised Unabridged]

#14920 01/08/01 07:26 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>half of the story

Very interesting - how far back does that statement go?

I can believe that printers would have made use of the comma (inverted) and the apostrophe in the set of letters that they had for each font - there would have been no need for them to be duplicated.

X
X
>>>my father calls them "lip marks"<<<

My husband was showing me a neat computer trick yesterday and he told me to type a "back tick." He eventually had to show me that he meant the <`> key. I'm sure that's strictly IT terminology. I had certainly never heard it.

by the way, that character is the one that looks somewhat like a little 6. it doesn't show up very well.

#14922 01/08/01 09:06 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
troy mentioned While my daughter full well knows that sentences end in a period-- she uses the keyboard "dot" (so she has a dot key, which she uses to create a period.)

I use my "dot" key to type a fullstop - period is one Americanism I'm still not comfortable with. I use it only under duress, when clarity of communication demands it.

#14923 01/08/01 10:20 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>I use my "dot" key to type a fullstop

That's funny, I use my full stop key to type a dot. I prefer not to discuss periods in mixed company, except if there is a medical context .

P.S. I was offered a really good deal on a TFT screen laptop today, only problem - it has an American keyboard (the £,@ and # are in the wrong places), no-one will buy it here!

#14924 01/08/01 10:28 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
(the £,@ and # are in the wrong places)

And where, pray tell, are these characters on British keyboards? And is there any more need for the @ and # in the UK than in the US?

#14925 01/08/01 10:29 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Jo complained P.S. I was offered a really good deal on a TFT screen laptop today, only problem - it has an American keyboard (the £,@ and # are in the wrong places),

I sypmathise, Jo. Imagine the difficulties Shylock would have had with the plethora of international keyboards. When it came time to ask for his pound of flesh, he might have made a real hash of it!

#14926 01/09/01 08:32 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>And where, pray tell, are these characters on British keyboards? And is there any more need for the @ and # in the UK than in the US?

I imagine the difference goes back to the early typewriters. I think the top row line up goes back as far as I remember. I used to get the ocassional ! for 1 when I first started typing. The additional keys must be more recent.

The £ is above the 3 on a UK layout. Given that we also have the $ above 4, that means that the # (hash, as Max says) and @ keys are to the right of the asdf row, next to return. It goes: l/L, ;/:, '/@, #/~ with the shift key character shown second.

I'm quite tempted by the bargain price (all it needs is a few stickers over the relevant keys) but I thought it would have made a good present for a homesick American living in the UK . A friend used my current keyboard recently and struggled over a few simple words. I hadn't noticed that several letters had completely worn away - too much AWADing!

#14927 01/09/01 08:49 AM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
I've just got a new keyboard at work and haven't had it de-Americanized yet, so I have to remember that @ makes " and all that.

This set me wondering: where on earth did the hash # key come from? It had no use in typewriter days, did it? Presumably its use in computing is because it was there available on existing keyboards? But why? What was it? I've never seen it used in print in a pre-computing context.

(Yes, of course it can be colloquially read "number" as in #1, and legend has it it's an American pound sign, but I've only ever seen 2 lb, not 2#. Surely neither of these was common enough to get it on typewriter keyboards?)

old hand
old hand
he told me to type a "back tick." He eventually had to show me that he meant the <`> key

` for me would probably be a grave (pron: graav), from the variety of cute accents the French use. More's the pity that I only have the apostrophe to stand for the acute '. Old word processing programs used to give us the ability to superimpose one character on top of another so that I could recreate all those lovely accented characters without recourse to an ASCII code reference. Ah well.

Just to add to the thread - I'm probably completely with Jo on this one:

. is a full stop.

" " are inverted commas (though I use 'quotes' a great deal more these days).

' is an apostrophe, but only if it is being used to mark missing letters or possession.

And while the leyboard I'm currently using has a tilde ~ and a circumflex ^ (though a bit pointy), I can see no cedilla (sp. bel?). So much for the full range of French accents...

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,337
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 709 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,544
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith