Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#147935 09/14/05 08:36 AM
addict
OP Offline
addict
On another thread we've been discussing a bumper sticker, and I've got questions.

First, wasn't sure that I'd got my interpretation right because we're not big on bumper stickers here, except for "Baby on board", I guess. But I've heard about bumper stickers in other countries. Are they meant to define the driver, the car, to be quirky, or funny, or inspirational, or everything at once? Are there different genres of bumper sticker?

Then, are they only called "bumper stickers" when they go on the bumper? I've seen the ones which are stuck on the inside of the back window; are these also called "bumper stickers" or something else?

Last, bumper sticker discourse seems to be language at play to a great extent, with ambiguities, cross-references, double meanings, metaphors... have you got any interesting examples which you'd care to share?

EDIT: I've just checked and there are a couple of historical threads about bumper stickers on the board already, but I think they are more about specific sticker texts, so I still put forward my more generic questions... Having said that, I note the undebatable convenience of checking first and posting afterwards!

#147936 09/14/05 10:32 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
They're bumper stickers wherever they go. They can be used for any of the variety of purposes you've outlined and then some. They're not even limited to one purpose each.

#147937 09/14/05 12:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My own favorite bumper sticker (torn off by hooligans...*sob*) was

"If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent" (or something like that)

#147938 09/14/05 01:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well to my way of thinking, bumper stickers are made from strong, water resistant paper (or perhaps some sort of plastic coated paper) with adhesive on the back (and i am impressed that Consuela had one ripped off her car, my experience is the bumper sticker is stronger than metal, and its easier to rip off the whole bumper than to remove the sticker!)

the stuff in the windows--most often (but not limited to) college or university names, are decals. --these too are pretty permenent.

side window often have decals that are required for use of local parks, parking lots, or are attempting to convince a policeman that the driver/owner of the car is also a police man(or the father/mother/sister/brother of one), and shouldn't be given a ticket.
a smaller percentage of side window decals advertize alarm systems, or other other stuff.

nowdays, some of the things stuck on cars are magnets.

you can buy magnetic sheets no thicker than card stock and run them through a printer.. (though most home printers don't have water proof inks). the commercial ones are made with water proof inks --but they are often not sun proof, and the colors and text rapidly fade.

they are also often dye cut, in the shape of a loop of twisted ribbon, so its not clear if the ribbon was Yellow, or red, white and blue, or pink or some other color-and which particular cause you are/were supporting.

the Magnetic ones are popular because they are easy to remove.

large magnetic signs are also available.. and these are used by hobbiest part time independant entrepenours as advertizements --they can place them on the family car when they are the Avon Lady and hosting a party.. and peel them off when they are just mom and grocery shopping. )

as for all the other stuff, (country code stickers, AAA stickers, well i don't quite think of them as bumperstickers..

bumper stickers, even (especially?) political ones are not very popular in NYC--

for years, i think the most common bumper sticker in the north east was "This Car Climbed Mount Washington" but some people objected to having it stuck on their car, and now its just placed (with its backing intact) on the windsheild, and fewer and fewer cars sport them.

#147939 09/15/05 12:41 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Bumper stickers are seldom seen on Québec cars. It seems to have been more popular in the eighties/early nineties.

Generally, they are/were of the (light) humourous variety, i.e. "There's no such thing as gravity, the earth sucks" or, a bumper sticker reading, "My other car is a porsche" pasted on an an old, beat-up car.

I've never seen a political bumper sticker. I have seen a couple of fish stickers - the one that is a line-drawing of a fish, like a kiddy would make, that I'm told represents Jesus.

#147940 09/15/05 10:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a fish … that I'm told represents Jesus.

Iesous
CHristos
THeou
Yios
Soter

http://www.ichthys.com/ichthys_explanation.htm

#147941 09/16/05 01:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think that the use of bumper stickers has diminished due to people leasing cars these days instead of owning them outright. I notice that university towns tend to have more vehicles with bumper stickers. One that I saw frequently in the Kalamazoo area was "Free Leonard Peltier", Kalamazoo being an area with a large indigineous population.
http://www.freepeltier.org/
One that I particularly liked was "What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?"

#147942 09/16/05 01:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> use of bumper stickers has diminished

not here in Vermont...

> Hokey Pokey

always one of my favorites, too.

formerly known as etaoin...
#147943 09/16/05 02:11 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
That's it Faldage. Thanks.

#147944 09/16/05 03:54 PM
V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Lots of bumper stickers and window stickers here in Central Ohio, too. Political, especially, with the last presidential election. Religious, funny, informative (like an advertisement), and MANY ribbon stickers (for breast cancer and support our troops, mostly). There are also a dismaying number of those flags that people put on the window frame of the car - Buckeyes, those are, unless someone has a high school or another university to cheer for. FOOTBALL, doncha know.

What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy? -Ursula K. Le Guin, author (1929- )
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,342
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 389 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith