Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#147034 08/29/05 11:52 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
If this is a YART I apologize, but I would like to ask if the original application of the word "cancer" (Latin for crab) to malignant growths is related to the pain that cancers can cause (perhaps like a crab inside that is causing pain with its pincers), or to the physical appearance of tumors with their spiculated, crab-like projections into the surrounding tissue? Does the OED have any comment on this?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i read (eons ago it seems) that there are several different types of tumors. the three most common:

cysts are almost like internal blisters (filled with liquid) they can come and go, and are generally harmless, (but more prone to infections--which can cause secondary problems.)

tumors, generally self contained hard nodules. they grow, and grow, but they are seperate. (sometimes they have a membrane or 'shell' but even when they don't, they are more like a foriegn body inside your body.)

Cancers are crab like--they have long thin arms that extend their reach, they 'burrow' into tissue, (instead of being a lump that is piggybacking on the tissue)

this is why cancer surgeons have 'cut extensively' to remove them.
When they discover a small cancer 'nodule' in the lung, they remove a whole lobe, or half the lung--because the nature of cancer is to have long thin crab like arms that extend far beyond the body(nodule) and if you don't remove all of it, the 'arm' will continue to grow.
(crabs can grow new appendages if one is broken off)

but i am sure the doctors on board will chime in with some technical terms!

#147036 08/29/05 01:43 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
but i am sure the doctors on board will chime in with some technical terms!

I am more specifically interested in why the Latin word for "crab" was applied to the phenomenon of malignancy. "Tumor" is Latin for a mass or lump, and is descriptive of a physical exam finding. But using the word "cancer" reflects a somewhat poetic choice, and I just wondered what the origin of it was.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Cancer had three meanings in Latin: 1. crab; 2. sign of the Zodiac; 3. cancer. The third entry in Lewis and Short is "In medicine, a crawling, eating, suppurating ulcer, malignant tumor, a cancer". The citations are from Aulus Cornelius Celsus [fl. 20-30 CE] (De medicina), Publius Ovidus Naso [43 BCE - 17 CE] (Metamorphoses), and Marcus Portius Cato [aka Cato the Elder; 234 - 149 BCE] (De re reustica). Celsus has the most citations, especially in the fifth book:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Celsus/5*.html

The Latin term cancer 'crab' for cancer predates the English language.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
So the Romans themselves associated the disease with a crab. Very interesting. Thank you zmjezhd.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
I thought I remembered seeing the term used in one of the Socratic dialogs. A quick google turned up this, though not Socratic...

The doctors Hippocrates and Galen began to revolutionize medical thought by thinking about disease as a natural physical process, rather than one caused by magic and the supernatural. They had a profound influence on the treatment and understanding of disease for almost 1500 years. Hippocrates gave the name karkinos and karkinoma (the ancient Greek words for "crab") to a group of diseases that he studied, including cancers of the breast, uterus, stomach, and skin. The hard center and spiny projections of the tumors Hippocrates observed reminded him of the crustacean. "Cancer" means "crab" or “crayfish” in Latin. Indeed, cancer became a recognized diagnosis in this time period. Although Galen removed some tumors surgically, he generally believed that cancer was best left untreated.

http://www.chemheritage.org/EducationalServices/pharm/chemo/readings/timeline.htm

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
insel, by jove, I think you've done it! Bravo!

A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Wow, of course! karkinos and karkinoma --> "carcinoma." Thanks!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, so I suppose that Latin cancer is a loan translation from Greek karkinos. (I say suppose because both words are cognates and could go back to PIE times.) I have yet to look into the Sanskrit word for crab which is also related to see if it can mean both crab and cancer. The greek word is a neuter and the plural is karkina, but the Latin word is sometimes a neuter and others a masc/fem.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
>>could go back to PIE times

Indeed they do, although at Dic.com (see what a well-referenced fellow I am!) you have to look up the related word "canker" to find this out:

[Middle English, from Old English cancer, and from Old French cancre both from Latin cancer, crab, malignant disease. See kar- in Indo-European Roots.]

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=canker

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and Etymonline.com gave this:

cancer
O.E., from L. "a crab," later, "malignant tumor." Greek physician Galen, among others, noted similarity of crabs to some tumors with swollen veins. From Gk. karkinos, which, like the Mod.E. word, has three meanings: crab, tumor, and the zodiac constellation (1391), from PIE base *qarq- "to be hard" (like the shell of a crab); cf. Skt. karkatah "crab," karkarah "hard;" and probably cognate with PIE base *qar-tu- "hard, strong," source of Eng. hard. Meaning "person born under the zodiac sign of Cancer" is from 1894. Cancer stick "cigarette" is from 1959.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Indeed they do, although at Dic.com

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Yes, the words are cogantes (i.e., related). What I was getting at was whether the meaning of cancer went back to PIE times. I think not. Sanskrit only has the meaning of crab for karkaTa. And I am satsified that Roman doctors adapted the term from the Greeks.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
>>I should have been clearer

Kind of you. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,342
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 429 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith