About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#146004 08/05/05 02:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mentioning plutarch by name is mean??? No, love, I meant that what I'd intended to reflect back to RD by name was quite insulting, and that when I realized it also looked like I was insulting a named member...that was meaner than I want to be.

#146005 08/05/05 03:25 PM
V
journeyman
journeyman
V
An open post to ChurlPat and the Contrarian:

I don't post often; I've posted once in a very angry way to Plutarch. I keep thinking about leaving, too, but keep persuading myself that there is more good than bad here.

I have enjoyed posts from both of you and feel exceedingly angry and sad that you are considering leaving. I honestly have no suggestions about how to get Plutarch to stop what he's doing, and I think I join many others on this board in feeling helpless about the situation. Much else in life has me feeling helpless and at times hopeless; it would be great to have this place back as a source of inspiration, humor and comraderie.

Helen, do you think complaints/examples to Wordsmith will really help? Can/will he do something about Plutarch's actions? If you believe he will, I'll send him a PM or whatever it takes to express my feelings to him.

At any rate, I do hope you, ChurlPat and the Contrarian, and ANY OTHERS, as you consider your continued participation, will keep this post and the expressions of others here in mind.

Leslie

What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy? -Ursula K. Le Guin, author (1929- )
#146006 08/05/05 03:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Leslie--bless you!

To: Churl Pat
I called you Pat at least once, because I couldn't bear to address you (or anyone) as "churl"! I see now that you have signed a couple of posts as 'curly'; would you prefer to be addressed as that? Or something else? Please let me know. Thanks.

#146007 08/05/05 05:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"If a discussion you are involved in turns into a flame war, you might want to think about how you can douse the flames. Sometimes the best way is simply not to get involved, if nobody replies the flamer has nothing to burn."

http://www.sofweb.vic.edu.au/internet/netiquet.htm#Rule 7

"Usually the best basic advice is to ignore the troll. It will probably go away if denied attention. This is the best way, but it is sometimes not very effective from your point of view if no one else follows this advice. Allowing the troll to spew unanswered may also give a clueless newbie the impression that the troll won the argument, and if the troll is on a crusade, this could be a Bad Thing."

http://www.imnsho.com/trolls.htm

"What if someone continues to post to the Usenet news in a language that offends you? The best action is simply not to read any postings from that person."

http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/abusive.html

"Sometimes trolls feel that they serve a community purpose, by shaking things up, stirring up discussion, playing the DevilsAdvocate, by being the CourtJesters, but they really aren't. They are a perversion of all those purposes. Nonetheless, you are never going to get rid of them. Wherever there's a crowd there's an attention seeker. It's human nature. Naturally, the best way to get rid of them is to stop paying attention."

http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?WhatIsaTroll

#146008 08/05/05 06:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Father Steve,

yes, we've been through all of these troll-warnings and advice to the troll-worn several times before. but it seems that what we have here is something a bit different. early on, this troll professed great offense at being ignored. he claimed that it was all part of some grand conspiracy to be rid of him, and claimed he had much support from the silent majority -- why just look at the numbers of registered users and the numbers of views he gets.

he knows one other important thing. he knows he is "safe" here; that we can't get rid of him because Anu has abandonded us to the pettifoggers.

evidence suggests that he has been banned elsewhere, and that is what works best.

#146009 08/05/05 07:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The best advice, on an umoderated board, to responding to trolling, flaming and other delinquent behaviour, is to ignore it .. and the person doing it. You are correct if you perceive that I have said this more than once ... in more than one way ... and reinforced my opinion/position with quotes/references from/to other sources. And I pretty much intend to keep doing that, until (a) the problem resolves itself or (b) folks begin to do the best thing, more consistently, or (c) somebody comes up with a better idea than the best idea I have been able to discover.

#146010 08/05/05 08:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ditto and amen, Father Steve. Though I will add that here, I don't (as yet) think it will look like he has won: even brand-new people have made it clear that they see who the problem-causer is. The only way he'll win is when the good people leave...

#146011 08/05/05 08:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
but that's the thorny part of the problem, for it's easy to see why the "good people" leave -- and difficult to fault them. for isn't that the simplest way to ignore him?

#146012 08/05/05 09:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Here it is, boys and girls. Gather around a bit closer and pay particular attention to Miss Jackie. She says "The only way he'll win is when the good people leave..." When you boil it all down to the syrup, this is the pure truth left in the kettle.

#146013 08/05/05 09:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>this is the pure truth

QED, we must fault them for leaving, or they weren't really good people.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,389
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 835 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,572
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,920
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith