Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#145740 08/01/05 12:40 PM
E
addict
addict
E
Goodwill has a legal meaning, quite apart from those mentioned thus far in this thread. Goodwill is an intangible asset of a business enterprise, which explains why its value may be more than the sum of the value of its tangible assets.
Fr. Steve, you took the words right out of my mouth! When David and I bought the pet store, about half the purchase price was for "goodwill". When my father sold his cranes to another company, the company hired him as well in order to get the goodwill, because they figured my dad's customers would go to the company where he was working.

#145741 08/01/05 12:46 PM
E
addict
addict
E
I forgot to mention - a propos of the Spanish usage, there is an organization in Canada which used to be called "Crippled Civilians" and is now called "Good Will" (or possibly "Goodwill"). It is one of those charitable organizations that raise money by re-selling donated used items.

#145742 08/01/05 01:29 PM
C
stranger
stranger
C
I'd been looking for them.

addict
addict
Hmmm... I thought I might be able to clear up a bit of the Spanish side of this thread, but I am confused about what meaning of "goodwill" hollisr is actually referring to.

I might be desperately wrong, but for me, "goodwill" in English is a synonym for "charity", i.e. an organisation or group that works to help the poor or otherwise deprived. In Spanish we refer to these as "obra benéfica / de beneficencia", and sometimes as "organización sin ánimo de lucro" (non-profit). If I'm wrong about the meaning of the English "goodwill", then obviously this doesn't apply to hollisr's question, so please don't pay any attention.

Regarding "voluntad", that word merely means "will", i.e. an inclination or determination to do something. "Buena voluntad", therefore, means you are well disposed to do something. "Et in terra pax hominibus bonae voluntatis", which Faldage quoted from Luke, is "y en la tierra paz a los hombres de buena voluntad", I'm not sure what is the prevalent translation of this phrase in English, but it would be a functional equivalent in this case.

"Voluntad", however, can never be taken to mean "volunteering", although the two are related. For "volunteering" we would say "ser voluntario", or "hacer trabajo voluntario", or something like that.

I hope this was not too tangled.
Marianna

#145744 08/01/05 01:52 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Re. Goodwill = Wohlwollen

Goodwill could also be described as 'Kulanz' in German when used in the sense, 'He did it for them on goodwill" ('aus Kulanz'). The economic meaning F.Steve describes is either 'Firmenwert', 'ideeler Firmenwert' or simply 'Goodwill' in German. If you're getting touchy-feely then 'Wohlwollen' is fine though.

- Ex propinquitate benevolentia tolli potest, ex amicitia non potest.

P
veteran
veteran
P
I hope this was not too tangled

On the contrary, it was quite untangling, Marianna.

We are fortunate to have someone with your depth in Spanish to clarify this for us.

I am guilty of making the connection between "volunteerism" and "Buena Voluntad".

I was projecting my sense of the meaning of "Buena Voluntad", not a literal translation - the 'sense' being that "volunteers" typically do things "pro bono", for the public good, without remuneration.

This is the sense in which I understood the name "Buena Voluntad", the Barcelona organization which undertakes charitable works in the "4th world".

re "goodwill" in English is a synonym for "charity", i.e. an organisation or group that works to help the poor or otherwise deprived.

"Goodwill" is not really a synonym for "charity" [i.e. a charitable organization] in english, Marianna, although some charities use the word in their name, as Elizabeth Creith has noted just above.

"Benevolent society" is a better term for a charitable organization in english, I suggest.

In fact, Merriam-Webster cites "benevolent society" as an example of a group organized for the purpose of doing good:

Main Entry: be·nev·o·lent

Etymology: Middle English, from Latin benevolent-, benevolens, from bene + volent-, volens, present participle of velle to wish -- more at WILL
1 a : marked by or disposed to doing good <a benevolent donor> b : organized for the purpose of doing good <a benevolent society>
2 : marked by or suggestive of goodwill <benevolent smiles>

#145746 08/01/05 03:04 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
B-Y:

With your expertise in German, perhaps you can advise Hollisr if "wollen" shares the same root in latin [i.e. "volens"] as our english word "benevolence"?

Hollisr is asking about 'interchangeability':

"They aren't entirely interchangable, are they?"

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm not sure what is the prevalent translation of this phrase in English

We usually end up translating "Et in terra pax hominibus bonae voluntatis" as "And on earth peace, good will toward men," which is rather a bad meaning shift for which we have auld Jamie Stewart to thank.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Actually, as I understand it (and I admit this isn't very far), the Greek text at this point is not certain. It may read eudokia (nominative), which would agree with the Authorised (King James) Version: Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men., or it may read eudokias (genitive) which would be closer to the Latin version Faldage quotes.

It is also possible that the Greek says something completely different, as the NRSV says:
... and on earth peace among those whom he favours, with peace, goodwill among people, relegated to a footnote.

Bingley

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I am guilty of making the connection between "volunteerism" and "Buena Voluntad".

Now might be a good time to point out that there are a few of us who still post here who are fluent in more than one language, and it might behoove those -- you know who you are -- who are only making guesses to allow some of the polyglots to reply first to such questions. This would contribute to keeping newcomers and others who ask good questions around.

Anyway, back on topic, Marianna. The same is true of the Portuguese boa vontade, meaning good will. Nothing to do with volunteers, and I am sorry you were steered astray, hollisr. Hope you'll stick around!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 752 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith