Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
veteran
veteran
P
I was born in 1937, and my family seemed to be familiar with "geehaw" as long as I can remember. Could have been family or colloquialism, but seems broader than that. Odd. Thanks.--Johnnie G

You are correct, Johnnie G.

Teaching The Commands "Gee!" And "Haw!"

Haw!" - Come Here, to the Left
First I teach "Haw!" because it is easier to teach than "Gee!" "Haw" means turn to the left. You are working the ox from the left side with a halter and lead-rope on him. Walk counterclockwise around the edge of the ring so that you are on his left side. The fence is on his right side. Command him to "Get-up!"

When he is walking along nicely, then you tap him with the lash on his right side somewhere between his ears and his mid-back and tug on the halter rope and say "Haw!" When you do this your ox should turn towards you.
---------
We want to reserve his rear end for propelling him forward with the command "Get-up!" and his front part up to his ears is reserved for "Gee!" and "Haw!" left and right.

http://snipurl.com/ggza

re his front part up to his ears is reserved for "Gee!" and "Haw!" left and right

Did the instructor mean "Gee!" and "Haw!" right and left"? [i.e. "right and left" respectively]

Perhaps, not.

To get the ox to move to the left with the command "Haw!", you tap the animal of the right side.

To get the ox to move to the right with the command "Gee!", you tap the animal on the left side.

#145263 07/24/05 07:18 PM
C
stranger
stranger
C
I happened to run across an interesting book whilst rummaging through our local library, a Historical Dictionary of American Slang. What it's doing here in Devon is another story, apparently.

The definition of gee, a verb, from gee! a command to make a horse turn right or go faster} to suit, go, work, etc.; hence to behave as desired; get along well.

The first citation is 1698-1699, Dict. Canting Crew: It won't Gee, it won't hit or go.

My guess is that geehaw as a verb is a parallel to the verb in this dictionary, particularly when viewed in light of what the inquirer said about two electronic instruments not geehawing, or getting along.

Many years ago we had an American Naval officer attached to my husband's unit, and he often said that things either were or were not in gee. The context led us to conclude he meant agreement; I'd not thought about that odd expression for 30 or more years.

Curly

J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Plutarch's explanations were interesting and humorous about Haw, get-up, and gee. Interestingly, the AOD gives only the meaning of saying "gee" to command a horse to go faster. So their gee and your get-up [or giddyup] are the same. The AOD would have gotten more at the meaning of agreement or meshing or getting along together from the OED's citations of "gee"--even though we're talking UK/US.
Of course, in context, we're not talking about "Gee" or "Gee whiz" here but agreement, which seems to have brought about quite a bit of etymological hem-hawing and not a few wags:).--Johnnie G

Johnnie Godwin

Johnnie Godwin
#145265 07/25/05 03:48 AM
P
veteran
veteran
P
What it's doing here in Devon is another story

I can hardly wait. :)

#145266 07/25/05 12:52 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
re: we had an American Naval officer .... [who] often said that things either were or were not in gee. The context led us to conclude he meant agreement

I suspect your conclusion was correct, Churl Pat, but my guess is that the Naval Officer had a musical background and he was using the expression "in G", not "in gee".

The most common of all chord progressions is three chords - often called a "three chord progression". ... The chord for that shown first in major chords are:

C,F,G (C Major, F Major, and G major)

http://snipurl.com/ghhe

#145267 07/25/05 02:26 PM
C
stranger
stranger
C
You really are an idiot, aren't you?

#145268 07/25/05 04:42 PM
D
stranger
stranger
D
You really are an idiot, aren't you?

Dear Churl:

Only an idiot would ask an "idiot" that question.

If you think postulating a plausible, alternative interpretation of the term you heard, but did not read, many years ago, is a sign of disrespect to you personally, then, dear Churl, you don't understand what a Discussion Board is really all about.

This is not a Mutual Admiration Society. We are not here to pat anyone on the back or to boost anyone's ego, or, for that matter, to diminish or deride anyone.

There is nothing personal in an intelligent discussion, Churl.

#145269 07/25/05 05:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
no churl, you don't realize--when you or i speculate.. or make a WAG (wild a**ed guess) it's all in good fun.

PLUTARCH doesn't make WAG's. He pontificates. Catholic Popes rare invoke the papal voice that is use to declare a truth.. most of what the pope said is held to be just words from a man wise enough to rise the position of pope.

every once in a while, a pope will make a pronouncement that is held to be "from god"

But PLUTARCH-He is sure every word he writes or utters in the supreme truth.. from god mouth to his ear exclusively, and we had all better listen.. HE KNOWS. NO WAG's for him. his speculations are sights to behold..

idiot? maybe. Egotist? undoubtedly.. and wrong? NEVER.
or so he believes..
now if he could only get everyone in the world to see it.

(but alas, most of us here are nonbelievers)

#145270 07/25/05 05:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
god, would you people just shut up? isn't there enough crap going on in the world without you adding to it?

formerly known as etaoin...
#145271 07/25/05 05:47 PM
D
stranger
stranger
D
Let's look at what Plutarch really said, Of Troy, to incite Churl into calling him an "idiot" and you into denouncing him for "pontificating" with "papal voice".

I suspect your conclusion was correct, Churl Pat, but my guess is that the Naval Officer had a musical background and he was using the expression "in G", not "in gee".

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 755 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith