Next Thread
Print Thread
#145014 07/14/05 04:29 AM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
a) a Polynesian bridal wrap [belM]

b) a type of lighting filter used in movie-making; it enables the filming of evening outdoor scenes in bright daylight. [Sparteye] musick

c) a lizard-like undersea monster prevalent in the Old Icelandic eddas. [ASp] maverick (I think)

d) describes a solid which when struck with sufficient force will break into smaller rounded pieces; tempered glass and some aggregate stones said to be iggri. [Zed] belM, wofa, WO’N

e) the metal fitting joining a pencil and its eraser [Fiberbabe] ElizabethC, Zed

f) a riding jacket, worn in India; analogous to jodhpurs. [wofa]

g) [intj.] Hurry up! also as n. in phrase to get an iggri on. [the usually reliable OED-online]

h) apophatic [Bingley]

i) archaic the habitual domination of conversation by a boor [tsuwm]

j) a tool used to remove stones from sheep's hooves; from the Basque word for "fingers." [Faldage] Coffeebean, Sparteye, F’babe

k) to move slowly, often as a manifestation of depression; to mope. [musick]

l) the seed linings of a pomegranate. [WO’N] Faldage

m) a tendency to protein deficiency associated with particular lymphatic disorders, found mainly among some peoples from the Indian sub-continent. [maverick] sjmaxq

n) Egyptian term for sloth, esp. in government bureaucracy adopted into English during the colonial period as a word to describe the byzantine complexity of bureaucratic decision-making and the glacial speed at which government decisions are made. [Capfka] dxb

o) a type of thieves’ argot or back-slang developed in the Chicago stockyards and much used in the early 19th C; the final letter was removed and placed at the front of the word preceded by a randomly chosen vowel. -- the true name for the argot would thus have been Grig or Gryg and is thought to be a corruption of Greek, the idea deriving from the expression “it’s all Greek to me”. [dxb] Asp

p) dialect a particularly treacherous Icelandic terrain consisting of small, weathered bits of lava overlying the sharper, sloped lava bed from which they have been detached. [ElizabethC] etaoin, Jackie, Capfka, Bingley

Commentary:
1. this was a very close call, what with ‘real’ votes, partial votes, and a scoring system gone bad; so here’s attaboys to Zed, Faldage & EC, and everyone else too (I think everything got at least a mention except for #s g & h – great round!
2. besides, points don’t matter AND Y’ALL WERE STUMPED (and several of you liked #i, but went for the scoring play, thank you very much).
3. #d sounds (to me) like a bluff for aggry.
4. special callout to Bingley for his hard-word bluff and highly predictable results

until next time, I remain
-joe (got my iggri on) hogmaster

#145015 07/14/05 11:23 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dear Mr Hogman,

Thank you so much for an invigorating round and your excellent running thereof!

I got a kick out of yet another "woo-woo" connection between Eliz II and me: we both used Icelandic references in our daffynitions.

Your minion,

ASp aka Eddie Tricks

#145016 07/14/05 11:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The dealer wins! Kudos tsuwm! Has a total stump ever happened before, i dun remember...?

And, Faldo...we thank ya for your support!

#145017 07/15/05 09:59 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
support

If only unwittingly.

#145018 07/16/05 01:37 AM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I meant to post "the rest of the story." so here:

iggri, iggry, int.
[Representing Egyptian colloq. Arab. pronunc. of ijri, imper. of jara to run.]

Hurry up! Also as n. in phr. to get an iggri on.

1919 W. H. DOWNING Digger Dial. 29 Iggoree, quickly. 1925 FRASER & GIBBONS Soldier & Sailor Words 127 Iggry (iggri),..a phrase in use in the Egyptian Expeditionary Force. ‘Iggry Corner’ at Bullecourt was so named by Australian troops who had been stationed in Egypt, as being an exceptionally dangerous locality from shell fire, where it was necessary to move rapidly. 1946 Penguin New Writing XXVIII. 173 ‘Come on, Chalky,’ he pleaded, ‘get an iggri on!’

#145019 07/16/05 09:22 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
A special vote of thanks to the hogmeister for a memorable round! Whoda thunk the real answer, from an Egyptian root?! ~ and special kudos for his own coinage, which I think deserves immediate adoption around here :)

ps - personal thanks to max ;)

#145020 07/17/05 01:56 AM
E
addict
addict
E
got a kick out of yet another "woo-woo" connection between Eliz II and me: we both used Icelandic references in our daffynitions.
No! Was that you? Hot damn. Me, I was just tickled that so many people chose my definition! Congrats, tsuwm, on stumping us all!

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,344
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 782 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith