Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14213 12/31/00 04:54 AM
stales Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Is "Mc" simply an abbreviation of "Mac" in a surname - or is there more to it than that?

stales

#14214 12/31/00 06:59 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Is "Mc" simply an abbreviation of "Mac" in a surname - or is there more to it than that?

As I understand it, they are both variants of the Gaelic word for "son of." Orthography was anything but standardised way back when. My own Irish anestors were surnamed Poland, variously spelled Polen, Polin etc. - even parish priests were not too well-endowed with literacy in 18th-century Ireland it would seem.

#14215 12/31/00 08:29 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hi Maxie - and just how do you get from "Poland" to "Quordlepleen"? Talking about orthography, an' all!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#14216 12/31/00 08:38 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Hi Maxie - and just how do you get from "Poland" to "Quordlepleen"?

It was easy - just take a little smidgeon of faith, add in a soupçon of begorrah, stir vigorously while pouring in plenty of blarney, and hey presto - a load of malarkey!

newsflash While drafting the above recipe, I decided to see how blarney was defined in my Chambers. The etymology given amused me greatly. Here it is, absolutely verbatim
[Blarney Castle, near Cork, where a stone difficult to reach cofers the gift of persuasive talk on those who kiss it]

If it's in the dictionary, it must be so, says this "Polish" boy from Cork!

#14217 12/31/00 08:45 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If it's in the dictionary, it must be so, says this "Polish" boy from Cork!

Yup, Oi always buy the Irish edition mesel' when oi buy one, atall atall.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#14218 01/01/01 10:39 AM
old hand
old hand
Indeed the stone is a big tourist attraction, from all I've heard. Apparently you have to lean out of a high window in the castle, twist around and reach up to kiss the stone. Once you have done that you too are blessed with the gift of the gab. My own theory is that there must be a small viral population on the surface of the stone that causes logorrhea.

#14219 01/01/01 11:59 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I have actually kissed the Blarney stone, htough everyone I know has said it was another case of carrying coals to Newcastle.

High up on the ruin that is Blarney Castle is a battlement I guess you would call it. There's a hole in the floor where it meets the outside wall. A bit over two feet square, the hole appears to have been a water drain. I'd not have been surprised to see a gargoyle on the outside. The shaft of the hole goes down not quite 3 feet, if I remember correctly, and now has a metal grating to keep you from falling 60 feet or so to the ground. Mya not be that high, but I have a pretty healthy fear of heights, so it seemed like a mile.

You lie on your back over the hole with only your hips and legs supported by the stone floor, while two accommodating gentlement hold your ankles, then raise up your torso to kiss the lintel stone at the far side of the hole. The men appreciate a gratuity, but only from middle-aged guys like myself. A young lady in a miniskirt who preceded me in this tourist rite got a whole lot more attention than did I.

I have one picture of myself standing outside the main entry door to the castle. Unfortunately the airline lost a small bag out of my bicycle box on the way home with about a third of my film in it. I had the pic taken and then changed the film, so I do have one picture from that part of my solo tour of Ireland. The gardens around the castle are actually far more impressive than the castle itself, which is no different from literally thousands of other ruins that seem to cover half of Ireland.

The most impressive I saw were the old ring forts, far far older than the medieval castles. The one on Inishmoor, one of the Aran Islands, is a semicircle on a cliff about 200 feet high. Supposition is that the waves washed away the base of the cliff and took the rest of the fort with it, though it's entirely possible the thing was built originally as a semicircle. Surrounding this fort are concentric rings of stones set like dragon's teeth in the ground, so close together that it's almost impossible to get through them. This was the prehistoric equivalent of barbed wire, and made a formidable defensive position almost impregnable.

TEd
#14220 01/02/01 07:02 PM
H
addict
addict
H
I believe that "Mc" is typically the Irish version and "Mac" the Scottish.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,361
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 691 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,557
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith