Next Thread
Print Thread
#140686 03/10/05 03:38 PM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
Dan Rather signed off last night, as he began 24 years ago, with "Courage". History may remember him for his last mistake, but it would be better if history remembered him for his last word.

This forum is for "favorite words" and, after thinking about why Dan Rather chose this single word as his sign-off through all the years, "courage" has just become one of my favorite words.

At the root of courage, of course, is the word "heart", and courage comes from the heart. Just like love. But love and all the other virtues are really only skin deep without courage to sustain them.

Therefore, this limerick celebrates Dan Rather's last word [whatever we may think of Dan Rather's last mistake]:

"Love conquers all", they say. How true.
But from the heart comes courage too.
Armed with courage
What could discourage
A heart sure and pure and true right through?

Signing Off, Rather's Wish for Viewers Is Still 'Courage'
New York Times, March 10, 2005

http://snipurl.com/dcn8

Dictionary.com: cour·age (kûrj, kr-) n.

The state or quality of mind or spirit that enables one to face danger, fear, or vicissitudes with self-possession, confidence, and resolution; bravery.

[Middle English corage, from Old French, from Vulgar Latin *corticum, from Latin cor, heart. See kerd- in Indo-European Roots.]

T
veteran
veteran
T
"At the root of courage, of course, is the word "heart", and courage comes from the heart. Just like love. But love and all the other virtues are really only skin deep without courage to sustain them."

Well said, Plutarch. No...insightfully said.
And somehow I will summon up the courage here to not say what I think of Dan Rather.

Thank you, Plutarch, now don't you think well of me?

P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
Your high-mindedness is an inspiration as always, themilum.

One should never speak ill of the dead, it is said, and Dan Rather is dead to the airwaves.

Whatever any of us may think of Dan Rather and his prime time career, he left us with "Courage". :)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well worth emulating.

the only reason I read this was I had my hopes up...

P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
plus ca change

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My father actually started Rather on the road of Courage. He was a news commentator on radio back in the mid 1940s, and there was even a full-page advertisement for his radio show in one of the national magazines of the time (I think Life Magazine). He was at WNOX in Knoxville, which is where I was born.

Anyway, he ended each of his programs, "Lager, folks."

(One of the preceding paragraphs is mainly true, the other one is completely false!)

TEd
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
"Lager, folks."

Yeah, some people get their courage from a lager, TEd Rem. Some from a luger*. But once the bottle or the bullet chamber is empty, so is their courage. :)

* Luger. From Wikipedia [with photo]
Although obsolete in many ways today, the Luger is still sought after by collectors both for its sleek design, good accuracy, great durability and to some extent by its connection to Nazi Germany. In Switzerland, the OP00 is still being used in sports shooting events because of its accuracy.

Production of the Luger P-08 ended when Walther refurbished a lot of Lugers in 1999 for the pistol's 100 years anniversary.

Thousands of Lugers were brought back as souvenirs by American GIs after World War II, and are still in circulation. Modern look-alike pistols are built by several companies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luger

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,337
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 680 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,544
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith