Next Thread
Print Thread
#140276 02/25/05 03:18 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
From the Buzzwhack site (thanks, Sparteye):
sneezers: People who help spread an "ideavirus," which is a nifty marketing concept created by author Seth Godin. By "sneezing," they infect others who then go out and buy Seth’s latest book. Once upon a time it was called "word of mouth."

I also wasn't aware that there was such a thing as desk rage:
slaptops: With technology being one of the leading causes of "desk rage," victims are unleashing their frustrations by attacking their office PCs -- aptly renamed "slaptops."

I've enjoyed this site from the first time I learned of it. There's an almost-unbelievable jargon quote on their "front" page today.
http://www.buzzwhack.com/

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I noticed the phrase "so 15 minutes ago" amongst the Ss. And they say that everything is speeding up. Ha!

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Fun site, Jackie. Thanks for posting. Microwaiting: the time spent in front of a microwave for lunch to heat up--and not counted as part of lunch break. Crittercam: the tiny camera attached to an animal so that you can see how it lives from its point of view.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I liked grid rage: The total frustration that comes from being unable to complete the New York Times Saturday (or Sunday) crossword puzzle.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, dearest Anna!

i have over 90% of today's (titled In Pairs) crossword puzzle solved, and wanted to brag, but was reluctant to start a thread just to do so. Thank you so much for providing me with an opening.. a few crosses in the upper right and lower left are stubbornly refusing to co-operate, but all the big (10 and 15 letter) answers have been found--and all of the middle is filled in. (at 11 am in the morning!)

(we won't discuss last week..[gnarly, knashing of teeth icon here])

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Helen, you're hilarious. Faldage is out getting the paper now, so I'm glad you didn't post any spoilers. :-)

Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tsk, tsk! [shaking forefinger] I can't find a date on this, but:
The New York Times is no stranger to controversy but people were gunning for it last week thanks to, of all things, the Sunday crossword. Yes, that benign little pastime, that so many enjoy with their morning eye-opener or evening nightcap, caused righteous indignation among the gate-keepers of our moral integrity.

"Sexually suggestive and possibly offensive"

There's your teaser (har); for the full story, go to:
http://puzzles.about.com/library/weekly/aa010813.htm

And--y'all let us know whether you got this week's completed.

D
D
"Sexually suggestive and possibly offensive"

Apparently, the people who found the puzzle offensive don’t watch T.V., or listen to the radio, or go to movies, or get out in public very often. Perhaps there exists within our society a subculture of shut-in, crossword puzzle solvers, who all have the New York Times on speed dial – fingers poised – in case of just such a moral emergency.

Nevertheless, although I’ve not seen the puzzle (I’ve been out of the NYT Crossword loop for a few years now), some of the clues given in the article, combined with the puzzle’s title, do seem a bit more than coincidental – plenty of double entendre, and all that – clever. I’m surprised Will didn’t catch it. He’ll probably pay close attention to any puzzles submitted from that particular author in the future, though.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
author = cruciverbalist

Did y'all know Will Shortz actually has a degree in cruciverbalization? From Indiana Univ.

Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
a degree in cruciverbalization Good grief--I didn't know there was such a thing.

Perhaps there exists within our society a subculture of shut-in, crossword puzzle solvers, who all have the New York Times on speed dial – fingers poised – in case of just such a moral emergency.
Dgeigh, you made me laugh out loud!

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith