About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#140212 02/24/05 02:16 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
It would be interesting if there were an NWR forum, specifically for topics like this that are not word related.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7019473/

I've actually been to the caves in Fox on a school field trip - back in like the 7th or 8th grade. We were living on Ft. Wainwright at the time. I don't recall any details other than that it was cold as all get out inside the cave and on part of one wall that had been dug away you could see a big block of ice which we were told was a frozen lake that contained the remains of a baby mammoth.

k

#140213 02/24/05 02:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Why don't you start something below the fold, FF? We use Animal Safari and some of the nothers for NWR topics.

#140214 02/24/05 03:33 PM
T
veteran
veteran
T
She's right Fallible, they use Animal Safari for what they call NWR topics, re-post your post over there and I'll add comment to your topic.

But I do wonder why they didn't explain this to you by a personal message and let you move it at your discretion.

#140215 02/24/05 03:56 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

It doesn't matter. I don't mind mild correction.
k

#140216 02/24/05 09:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
why make a public comment?

because we are lazy--say it once a year publically, and you don't have to send PM's every week..

oh, and there several links (here in I & A) to max's site that explain the 'generally held conventions' of posting here.

beside, this thread will now continue, off topic, in what 3 posts? not a record, but close!

its hard to strike a perfect balance.. between public notification --so everyone can learn the 'rules' (that don't exist!)--and PM's. (which leaves everyone to disern the (non-existant) rules for themselves..

i've sent several messages to several cyber friend talking about just this idea. in one, i complained about my co-op neighbor--who likes the 'value' of the building and apartment--has trouble with the idea of rules..

its spring break this week, and for enterainment, her kids have been playing with a home Karaoke machine..

i haven't complained.. --but i was less than thrilled at 8:30 sunday morning to be 'seranade" by her 10year old son singing (amplified singing, toneless singing, repeatedly singing,) a song (in russian).

My co-op has clear rules. NO excessive noise.. everyone is entitled to the quiet enjoyment of their apartment..

but what is excessive? i would have been hard pressed to tolerate my kids playing with a Karaoke machine at 8:30AM on a sunday! but--its spring break, and the weather was cold, and kids, being kids, are noisy.. and i chose to move into an apartment complex, so i knew i would have kids as neighbors.. so i have to temper my annoyance.

the apartments (s) in the co-op have value (which my neighbor likes) because there are rules (which she doesn't like!) one is linked in a subtle way to the other!

and i think if the FF is annoyed at Anna's public comments, he can speak up for himself, and doesn't need you (or me) to champion his right to post a NWR topics here in I & A.

and we use lots of 'places' below the fold --not just animal safari..

for the longest time, it was suggested that any and all any NWR posts that were food related, should be posted in Words from German.. (but, i fixed that!)

but that's another story!--if you want to know, PM and will put the whole story, publicly, in Words from German!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
beside, this thread will now continue, off topic, in what 3 posts? not a record, but close!

What's with the Howard Cosel imitation?

and i think if the FF is annoyed at Anna's public comments, he can speak up for himself, and doesn't need you (or me) to champion his right to post a NWR topics here in I & A.

Must.... resist... temptation.

#140218 02/24/05 11:51 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Thanks, AnnaS, for advertising Animal Safari! It would be great to have a crowd go on safari there, my absolute favorite place on this board.

#140219 02/25/05 01:10 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We used to use Miscellany for intersting stuff like that. Photos of Mars, etc. But a forum of its own is a great idea.

And thanks for the link, Fallible, it's fascinating and I would've missed the story. :)

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 889 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith