Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
veteran
veteran
T
Possessive, Milo.

Yeah, yeah, Maverick, possessive; like in "this world of mine".

(sigh) The first two or three times Mister Ted demonstrated his gross lack of class I responded with admirable restraint. But when Mister Ted, under the signature name "Dieter" which in anagram is "ire Ted" (get it?) attacked Plutarch childishly, all past bets are off' and I am better prepared for the gang bang that will follow my actions because I remember well what happen to Keiva. May God forgive the souls of those who were involved in his lynching.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well what is it that you think happened to keiva?

Yes, he was banned.

and yes, there are several 'sides' to the story.

i know what i think happened. what do you think happened?

and have you considered posting on his word board?

you'll have to take care if you do. For although keiva advocated no one should ever be restricted (especially not himself!), or banned, he has restricted posters, and he has banned posters.

it seems what was good for this board, turns out not be good for his board. (and since this board has banned one person (Keiva) and he has banned several posters, well judge for yourself which is the more open board, the more tolerant board!)

it might be "Keiva world" is a better place,--obviously, it is for some.

lease go, try it for yourself, and see how it works for you..(there are members here, who regularly post (with the same on line name) there.. no reason you can't.. i don't care where you post!

i have even posted a word or two on keiva's board, and its evident, that he and his wife, either regularly, or intermittantly read what is posted here.. (and they are welcome to read--ewein even posted, in the not too distant past, and has sent PM's to people here.--well send a PM to a person, (me) for sure!) but Keiva is not to post here.

Yes, there has been backstabbing here (of late) .. and yes there has been venom. (and yes, i too have contributed--but i have been open, and not secretive about my feelings--not really that it make them better--but at least with me, you know what you are getting!)

and Yes, Plutarch is currently a target for some of the venom, BUT--he has made venomous remarks (repeatedly under that nome de cyber, and under others names). so he is now reaping what he has sown.

Yes, i know, if i were a better person, i would turn the other cheek.. been there, tried that. eventually i tired of turn the other cheek--i was getting whip lash from turn my head to and fro!

now, mostly i try to ignore Plutarch, and everything he posts.

maybe, if he has really changed, i will change my behavior. maybe. but i will never trust him. EVER. but that's me,(Dr bill admonishes all the time that i am too hard hearted.. and maybe i am)

But you've decided, the wound we thought healed, is not. that its just crusted over, and we have an infectious rot, and you want to bring Keiva (and what happend 4 years ago (it was 4 years ago--right? )) back up. --you want to do some exploritory surgery, to re-open the wound. OK
can you explain why? please.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Milo,

You have proof positive who Deiter is? We all have access to Anu's Anagram Server, as we all have access to this thread and these forums. I've been entertaining the thought that Deiter is someone else's s.p. Why, it could be Wordwind or Jackie or Capfka (all heavy partipants in this thread) or myself or... or yourself... or even plutarch himself (some precedents there).

I said to Jackie she should have just deleted Deiter's post, rather than responding as she did. And she should delete this thread now. But she takes Anu's admonishment, stemming from the previous shoutout, seriously; not to actually utilize whatever moderator power she has. Neither she nor I understand why he didn't just strip her title away.

A moderator who can't moderate is a little like Louis XVI during the French revolution.

Also, we should all desist from bandying about the history of keiva's days here. He still regularly monitors these forums (and recently posted here). You have no idea what he feels about us now, and I mean each of us individually and as a "word" forum.

If you're truly unhappy here and believe we've all gone "mad", there are lots of other forums you could try.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Geez, you-all: will you please cool it? Take it to PM's or anywhere that's not here? Aside from outright anger (justified or unjustified), there are some statements presented as facts that ain't necessarily such.

Please can we go back to the way we were near the beginning? That is, if you feel strongly about something someone has said, let them know via PM? Then the recipient can either delete/edit the offending material, or post something along the lines of: I stand by my opinion, but I apologize for offending, and will try not to do so again.

I know there are some people who positively relish watching other people spat--I have a friend here in town who does--but I am not one of them. In fact, I hate it.

Edit: thanks, tsuwm; your post appeared while I was composing mine. And, I MUST go out NOW...

#139760 02/22/05 08:12 PM
veteran
veteran

"Which is two questions, I know, but you can see where this was going. The assumption seems to be that since so many fossils of so many different types of hominids have been found there, that that is where the evolution must have occurred. But is that a good assumption?"

I think it's more the fact that we find a long line of things that sort of lead up to humans in Africa - and we don't find that anywhere else. Fossilization is a rare event, but not to find any humans anywhere else in anything other than finished form gives us reason to think that humanity started where we find the apparent lineage. It's not a logical conclusion without some other assumptions, of course. Also we don't find humans anywhere until long after they have appeared in Africa. It's not an absolutely required conclusion, but it seems like the best conclusion given the data we have.

Whenever one makes a measurement other than counting of small numbers there is an error bar around the measurement. Sometimes the error bars are very big. Also, estimation techniques improve the more time we have to consider them - well, ideally. There's the case of estimating the circumference of the Earth. The estimate of Eratosthenes back in BC was actually far better than later measures until quite recently (about 1600's I think).

k

#139761 02/22/05 09:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the content of this post has been edited

a second reason for supposing/proposing life (human life) first evolved in africa is modern day genitic evidence.

--based on two different sets of 'markers' --the Y chromosome, and mitocondrial dna--the modern day evidence makes it clear, africans, (and this is based on many group of people, the 'bush men', pigmies, zulu's, (and many other groups, including the burbers of the mediterranian coast) there exist more genetic diversity in Africa, than on any other continent. and based on genetic markers, the oldest human population are the people now called "bush men"--

given this modern information, (and the fossil evidence--)which is incomplete, (so much of the earth gets recycled every year, with habitates going under the water, (sea levels (or relative sea levels) have changed for reasons besides the ice ages. --it seems likely (how likely? i've read everything from very to extremely likely) humans (as we now know and love them) evolved from prehuman animals living in various parts of africa.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Helen, regardless of your views of me and of the incidents of late spring, 2002, do you really think it wise to cast aspersions on me, aspersions which almost compel me to reply?

Perhaps, in the interest of conflict-avoidance, you might consider deleting portions of your post above. Thank you.

Edit: PS to Faldage, re yours below: In the spirit of converting this to a word-thread, I respond to your thought by saying that I agree with the preantepenultimate paragraph of of-troy's post above.
http://home.mn.rr.com/wwftd/pq.htm#preantepenultimate

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
How bout let's all just pretend this thread never existed.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jackie sez: there are some people who positively relish watching other people spat.

Back in the Sixties, there was a popular book written by Dr Eric Berne called Games People Play. Berne was a proponent and popularizer of something called Transactional Analysis which many of us, who were alive in the Sixties, survived somehow.

In the introduction to the book, Berne postulated the following conversation:

First person: Ok, let's play a game.
Second person: But I don't want to play games.
First Person: So that is your game!

One of the chapters (I think) in the little book was dedicated to a game which Dr Berne entitled "Let's you and him fight." It was about how there are some folks who take delight in fomenting discontent and disputation between others. How about that? There are such folks. The subtext in Berne's message was that those who are wise enough to identify the gambit are then able to decline to play.

I never thought much of Dr Berne (nor of Transactional Analysis, for that matter) but I thought he scored a winner with this observation.

T
veteran
veteran
T

How bout let's all just pretend this thread never existed.

That should be cake for this self-righteous crowd, Faldage, last Thursday the peace and pancakes milquetoasts of this board pretended that this sweet love post from good old Vernon Crompton never existed...

Quote:
"Most often he's [milo] being the sort of spoiled brat who thinks causing pain is fun, and grows up to be a serial killer, wondering why nobody else gets his "jokes". That is, of course, assuming that such a person grows up. No sign of that here."

Hehehe, yep, that old Vernon Crompton, what a funny guy!

How many of you sweethearts out there whispered to Vern that he might better oughta tone it down...hmmm?

Can you count to none?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 742 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith