Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#139048 02/12/05 02:14 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
izzat; choose one:

a) a kind of zigzag patterned cloth traditional to the Afghanistan/Pakistan region. Different patterns 'belong' to different tribal groups and before tourism took hold it was possible for an expert to identify the native village of a local from the pattern of his/her clothing.

b) a Sumerian tower built of clay bricks

c) The narrow bridge over which one must pass to get to heaven in Zoroastrian belief.

d) a small room in a mosque where sacred items for use in worship are kept

e) a small Babylonian shrine, located in an individual home

f) That which remains after a natural disaster/catastrophe.

g) From the ancient Persian, meaning system of knowledge (literally, ‘that which is known’). Michael Foucault translated the term as ‘mathesis’ to describe this aspect of Thomas Kuhn’s description of epistemological ‘paradigms’.

h) a ritualistic group avoidance of a society member for the purpose of sanction; a shunning.

i) A James Hogan Scifi robot from the planet Enron. Obviously his cult status among afficionados is due to his job as the sole impregnator of the nubile females of the planet where all males are sterile and have sexual interest only in themselves.

j) 1. personal dignity or honor 2. the power of commanding admiration

k) the knot on the tassle of a fez.

l) interj. fr. Gael. eoisaidht, a command given to a sheep dog to steer the sheep to the left.

m) A monolith, in shape like a miniature ziggurat three to five meters high, raised to honor a great personage (f. Assyr. Izzattura: pyramidal).

n) A tang or hollow metal dowel used in joining masonry to brick and cinder block. Aids in relieving motion stress resulting from mortar shrinkage during curing and to offset load strain.

o) n. Vestment worn by the groom in an Ashkenaze wedding ceremony.

p) [Arabic] the handleless coffee cup which fits within a zarf

---

NB: no attempt has been made to normalize these; each appears as found in the source.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I like "K"... and it likes me.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
k, too

formerly known as etaoin...
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
B, please.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M as in monolith.

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I like P, just because it mentions zarf, one of my litmus tests for a dictionary.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I

I think they're all correct, but general usage hasn't caught up with each of them yet. "I" appeals to me because whoever wrote it went to a lot of trouble, if it's not the accepted definition. But one day it will be. Just stick around for a while.

T
veteran
veteran
T
That's it, Wordwind, you got it!
"Unexpurgated Hogwash" all right, Hogwash has never been unexpurgated before. Our Hogmaster is playing sly tricks.
I caught it...

"...robot from the planet Enron. Obviously his cult status among afficionados is due to...

Sorry ron, but the answer is "I", and "I" is tsuwm and "I" read the book. Next!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Lessee, which izzat is it? (well, sumbuddy had to say it). Izzat right? (yep, that too). Anyhoo...N...For it is written, "The dowel blocketh the cinder, and no sway shall come to the structures of the land." YCLIU

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
how remiss of me, after I went to all the trouble of NOT normalizing the entries.

the def'n that I disqualified was originally number d, so I brought up the seventh entry to fill its spot. this caused a ripple effect that eventually resulted in some unpredictable eddies and somewhat jumbled the original pattern. chaos ensued.

I hope this didn't affect your scientific approach to making your choice, milum.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,367
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 653 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith