Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#138729 02/06/05 09:31 AM
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Hi,
I always get forget the name for a bell maker and currently am stumped. Can anyone help?

#138730 02/06/05 10:35 AM
P
veteran
veteran
P
Does this help, Mrs. Coot?

car·il·lon ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kr-ln, -ln)
n.
A stationary set of chromatically tuned bells in a tower, usually played from a keyboard.
A composition written or arranged for these bells.

intr.v. car·il·lonned, car·il·lon·ning, car·il·lons
To play a carillon.

[French, alteration of Old French quarregnon, from Late Latin quaterni, quaternin-, set of four. See quaternion.]

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=carillons

Since a person who plays an organ is an "organist", I assume a person who makes music with bells is a carillonist.

If you're thinking of the person who actually makes the bell, rather than the person who makes the bell sing, then that would be a bell forger*, wouldn't it, because bells are forged out of metal.

I don't think you are thinking about the thing that makes the bell ring, Mrs. Coot. That would be a bell clapper. We could have a lot of fun with that - starting with "clap trap" [which has nothing to do with "clappers" altho "hand clappers" do].

* Is there any bell more famous than the "Liberty Bell" which was cast in a foundry in England in 1752?

The bell was ordered from Whitechapel Foundry, with instructions to inscribe on it the passage from Leviticus.

The bell arrived in Philadelphia on September 1, 1752, but was not hung until March 10, 1753, on which day Isaac Norris wrote, "I had the mortification to hear that it was cracked by a stroke of the clapper without any other viollence [sic] as it was hung up to try the sound."

Two Philadelphia foundry workers named
John Pass and John Stow were given the cracked bell to be melted down and recast. They added an ounce and a half of copper to a pound of the old bell in an attempt to make the new bell less brittle. For their labors they charged slightly over 36 Pounds.

The new bell was raised in the belfry on March 29, 1753. "Upon trial, it seems that they have added too much copper. They were so teased with the witticisms of the town that they will very soon make a second essay," wrote Isaac Norris to London agent Robert Charles. Apparently nobody was now pleased with the tone of the bell.

Pass and Stow indeed tried again. They broke up the bell and recast it. On June 11, 1753, the New York Mercury reported, "Last Week was raised and fix'd in the Statehouse Steeple, the new great Bell, cast here by Pass and Stow, weighing 2080 lbs."

...... its most resonant tolling was on July 8, 1776, when it summoned the citizenry for the reading of the Declaration of Independence produced by the Second Continental Congress.

http://www.ushistory.org/libertybell/

Oh, and here's something about the passage from Leviticus inscribed on the "Liberty Bell".

As it was to commemorate the Charter's golden anniversary, the quotation "Proclaim Liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof," from Leviticus 25:10, was particularly apt. For the line in the Bible immediately preceding "proclaim liberty" is, "And ye shall hallow the fiftieth year." What better way to pay homage to Penn and hallow the 50th year than with a bell proclaiming liberty?

re "clapper" and "clap trap":

clap (v.)
O.E. clęppan "to throb, beat," echoic. Of thunder, c.1386. Clapper "tongue of a bell" is from 1379. Claptrap is c.1730 theater slang from actors' stage devices to get applause.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=c&p=15

There's just one other "Bell maker" I can think of, Mrs. Coot [other than Pass and Stow, of course]. That's "Ma Bell". But, nowadays, "Ma Bell" has a lot of "Baby Bells".

Could it be you are thinking of a "rain maker", not a "bell maker", Mrs. Coot? A "rain maker" makes the bells of commerce chime. They make the music you can peal off a wad of bills in your wallet.

#138731 02/06/05 01:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
How about bell founder?

http://onelook.com/?w=bell+founder

It's not one word, but.

#138732 02/06/05 01:22 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
How about bell founder?

That would be good, Faldage.

One of the "Quick Definitions" for "founder" in OneLook is:

noun: a worker who makes metal castings

Or, how about bellcaster which is one word. We've got sportscasters. Why not bellcasters?

I think Mrs. Coot is ringing our bell, don't you? :)

I think Mrs. Coot is snoot tootin' a new horn. :)

[But I don't mind. I learned a lot of stuff about the "Liberty Bell" I didn't know before. Hope someone else finds some of it interesting too. :)

Reminds me of when I was a Boy Scout. We used to send rookies on "Scavenger Hunts" looking for "sky hooks" and "left-handed monkey wrenches" and such. It was just harmless fun. Just like Mrs. Coot. :) ]

#138733 02/06/05 04:25 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
from Dr. Bill [wwh]:
I wonder at sense of humor of new member Mrs. Coot. A coot is a sea bird, a type of fish eating duck, that used to be a challenge to shoot just for sport. The
recipe for cooking coot, told of tying it to a shingle,
baking two hours, throwing coot away and eating shingle.
They apparently tasted horridly of fish.
And 'crazy as a coot' used to be a common slur.

P.S. from me: I think Mrs. Coot is a Hoot, Dr. Bill. I've learned more about bells than I ever knew before. Now I'm going to look into whistles. Everyone knows a whistle blower. But what do you call a whistle maker?

#138734 02/06/05 04:37 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
Any time you want to blow your own horn, you should have all the bells and whistles available to do it properly.

What's the point in having bells and no whistles, or whistles and no bells? That's no way to blow your own horn!

Want to hear what a whistle sounds like. This website is dedicated to steam whistles, and you can even hear one go off, if you've got an ear for that sort of thing.

http://www.whistleman.com/html/the_great_whistle_makers.html

#138735 02/06/05 05:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
George Elphick, The Craft of the Bellfounder, Phillimore, 1988.

#138736 02/07/05 04:16 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
were this a game of stink[y]-pink[y], I'd say:
clanger hanger

-ron obvious-schmobvious

#138737 02/07/05 05:14 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...and the guy who beats a piece of hot metal on an anvil to make the hangy-downy part would be a "clapper rapper"?

#138738 02/07/05 03:57 PM
N
addict
addict
N
the hangy-downy part

I love it when you come up with those technical terms, Father!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,373
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith