Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#138351 02/01/05 08:07 AM
P
veteran
veteran
P
many don't give a toss

Many words don't give a toss either, Bingley. But that's because they have no meaning, even as a misspelling. [Incidentally, a misspelled word like "inciteful" has meaning. It means "insightful". It's just that its proper spelling has been misplaced.]

We're using a lot of words to get at the meaning of a word which has no meaning.

What's wrong with tsuwm's solution: "word" and "non-word". Anything in between doesn't really exist because it doesn't mean anything to anyone.

So why not call a word which doesn't have any meaning to anyone, and has never had any meaning to anyone, a mu-word? Or, a "ghost word", as Maverick has suggested? Or why not just call it a non-word, or a non-existent word, and be done with it. :)

OK, I've got one if someone wants to give it a toss.

What do you call a cow that isn't a cow, doesn't look like a cow, has never been represented or acknowledged by anyone at any time as a cow, and has never existed or been misspelled as a cow?

Can anyone think of a word for it? And you can't say mu-cow 'cause that's too easy. :)

#138352 02/01/05 12:07 PM
Faldage Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
On the other hand, inciteful could be a word synonymous with belligerent or provoking, except it violates standard rules of forming words with the -ful suffix. At least, I can't offhand think of any words formed by the formula <verb>ful/i].

#138353 02/01/05 12:31 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> the formula <verb>ful/i].

hateful?

or am I missing something? more than usual

#138354 02/01/05 12:31 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
inciteful could be a word synonymous with belligerent or provoking

I think inciteful is a very clever coinage, Faldage. And what is more, you have deployed it very cleverly.*

If themilum gave a bottle of wine for clever coinages, he would award one to you for "inciteful", for sure. [Can't promise you it will have ASp's face on the label, however. The ladies have been slow in taking themilum up on his offer. Jackie says she doesn't want her face on an old vintage. Come to think of it, I wouldn't want mine on one of themilum's old vintages, either.**

* I think we ought to give credit where credit is due. And your credit for "inciteful" is long overdue, Faldage. Some of us got distracted by ancillary issues. Me included. :)

** Matter of fact, if themilum put my face on the Prize Two vintage he has reserved for me permanently, I would deface his durn bottle. Maybe "deface" will turn up as a 'misleading word' this week? Stay tuned. :)

#138355 02/01/05 12:55 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
Sorry if I got carried away with "What is a word?", Faldage.

Tsuwm has set a good example for all of us around here. The least I can do if I am going to commend him for his example, which I do, is to follow it. So, I'm sorry. [You got the last laugh anyway. :) ]

#138356 02/01/05 01:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
OEDipus Rex :)

I post on a message board for editors: one of the guys there goes by Oeditpus Rex.

#138357 02/01/05 03:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I have used the made-up word inciteful a few times. I'd thought I had posted it, but as it didn't turn up in a Search, I reckon I must've sent it in messages. Anyway, I used it as an adjective for a comment that was designed to incite controversy (or perhaps for the person who made it).

If I have to determine what a 'word', pure and simple, is, then I'd have to say any entry that appears in an official dictionary that has a group of experts checking and verifying sources, is a word.

However, I am not against the use of not-officially-recognized terms as words, as long as qualifiers are at least understood, if not stated outright. "Made-up word", "not a real word", etc. I also like tsuwm's term "nonce word".

#138358 02/01/05 04:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
just a bit of clarification as to some of the terminology(!) being tossed about here. and a comment.

the terms "ghost-word" and "nonce word" are common terms of lexicography. at the moment I'm not sure about "non-word", which I've used casually here and elsewhere; I should probably LIU*. I posted above the M-W definition of ghost-word. nonce words are words that are coined "for the nonce"; someone has a need for a specific sense and so coins something on the spot. these usually die out (they only make sense in context and don't find an unfilled niche), only to be found in some hugely descriptive volume such as the OED (see James Joyce); others live on; e.g., gerrymander. (see the wwftd list for a few nonce words of little worth)

and following directly from this, I'd add this comment: there is not much new under this sun. this has all been hashed out before, at many times and in many places. but those of us who remain interested in this topic are always on the lookout for new slants; if you tend to be bored by the circularity of it all, see the foofaraw (did I spell that right?) to be found in Wordplay & fun. :)

*nonword - a word that has no meaning, is not known to exist, or is disapproved [Merriam-Webster Online]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 773 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith