Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#13815 12/26/00 10:38 AM
shanks Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
definately

How many others seen this around lately. Bile-rising scale of 1 - 10, how annoying?

6.3745679238101 for me.

Happy Boxing Day

the sunshine warrior

#13816 12/26/00 12:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've seen it, but not that often. I'll give it a 5.
Something that grates on my nerves is the collectible-
collectable switch. Apparently both are now acceptable--! Or should I have said acceptible?

#13817 12/26/00 02:35 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
You didn't sound very creditible in your rant there Jackie

I think the reason these misspellings become accepted is that they are seen over and over and not corrected. In time they just become a alternate spelling for the same word.

#13818 12/26/00 03:26 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
- Which takes us to CapK's rant elsewhere in Miscellany.

But I agree with our Sunshine Warrior about the irritation factor of these little mistakes. Even the fact that the words are totally comprehensible when miss-spelt annoys me! But then, I'm getting old and grumpy!

(BTW, our beloved Aenigma's variation on "Miscellany" is "mischief" - make of that what you will!)

#13819 12/26/00 03:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
See it all the time, shanks, and hate it.
Was your bile-raising rating a double pi in the face?

#13820 12/26/00 07:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Personal pet hate: "Dispatch" for "Despatch". Yes, it's a legitimate spelling, but what has emotion got to do with rules?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#13821 12/26/00 09:16 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Personal pet hate: "Dispatch" for "Despatch".

Having deprived you all for far too long of the ineffable bliss which my presence invariably generates, I emerge from my pupa to enquire whether you feel the same way about inquire. Should I form a Royal Commission of Inquiry, or convene a Stewards' Enquiry?

#13822 12/26/00 09:30 PM
N
N
In reply to:

Having deprived you all for far too long of the ineffable bliss which my presence invariably generates

The absence of any emoticons after such a preposterous statement suggests that you have an extremely inflated sense of self-worth. If you were not serious, it would be advisable to let others know that.

#13823 12/26/00 09:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well ever the creative speller-- i must be something like the horrid screeching scratch of chalk across a board-- thank goodness you're all to far away to come and rap my knuckles....

What i find distressing is "hat maker" not milliners, barrel maker (any one familiar with NY knows the city is famous for its 50 to 500 gallon water barrels on building roofs) not cooper–

and the whole made up word "Westcott" for waistcoat-- and an article about plumbers in NY who no longer have to be skilled in lead work to get a license! all they need to know is copper piping.

do we wordsmiths keep are noses to the grindstone (grind- stone or grinned-stin?) rant away! its all to no avail! English marches on... and are chaff (chits, chads) thrown off in the wind...

#13824 12/26/00 09:49 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
and the whole made up word "Westcott" for waistcoat-- and an article about plumbers in NY who no longer have to be skilled in lead work to get a license!

I've always thought the affectation was something like "weskit" As for plumbers, I am deeply grateful that their craft no longer requires any use of that which gave them their name. You couldn't pay me to drink out of lead pipes now. Also, I feel compelled to say that Lewis Carroll's creation has a happier ring to it as is - The Mad Hatter rolls off the tongue much more easily than the Mad Milliner, IMNSHO. In general, I agree with you that milliner is preferable, and,living in wine country, cooper is still in common use here. The obe "archaic" trade that exists here now only in surnames would seem to be fletcher, as we still have smiths and farriers.

#13825 12/26/00 11:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Max, welcome back from whatever nether world you descended into over Christmas. Yes, I know my dislike of "dispatch" is inconsistent. Never claimed it wasn't.

#13826 12/26/00 11:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
nemo>The absence of any emoticons after such a preposterous statement suggests that you have an extremely inflated sense of self-worth. If you were not serious, it would be advisable to let others know that.

if you weren't a stranger, you'd know better about Max. those of us who've been here a while start to take things like this for granted more than we maybe should, but you could also read a bit more before you start chastising us, don't you think?

#13827 12/27/00 12:22 AM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Welcome Back Max! We have indeed missed you!I hope dear nemo's misunderstanding of your flowery, fragrant and flagrant prose does not stop you from adorning these pages, long the poorer for your absence, with resplendent and glorious flights of grammarian gaudiness, for without your influence we, poor creatures that we are and so susceptible to inferior influences which abound in the press, on the airwaves and on television, would descend into banal, trite and trivial use of the English language which is, in all aspects including choice and color, one of the most magnificent languages ever to evolve and although I am sure each person is partial to the native tongue of his/her Motherland I must stand by my choice of English and your use of the language as one of the shining lights in an otherwise bleak and bland linguistic landscape.
{eye-popping, gasping emoticon here}
wow

#13828 12/27/00 12:37 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
wow, I agree completely! Max is wonderful! He doesn't speak all that often, but when he does, it is well worth
listening to!

#13829 12/27/00 02:18 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
To wow, and Jackie and tsuwm I just want say thank you. It is said that the esteem of one's peers is something to be valued. If that is so, then to be esteemed by those who are one's superiors must be even more precious. Newton may have stood on the shoulders of giants, but this little pygmy (emphatic, not tautological) is surrounded by them here, and is humbled that they should defend him as they did. Thanks again,
Max

p.s. tsuwm, did you know that Ęnigma thinks you're a tub?

#13830 12/27/00 04:09 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>p.s. tsuwm, did you know that Ęnigma thinks you're a tub?

this has been pointed out before, you ineffable yarter.

#13831 12/27/00 09:13 AM
N
N
Sorry, Max. I know that Max is almost certainly not your real name, but, believe it or not, it is the name of my "other half", with whom I had recently exchanged sharp words. I guess that at the time I was kind of unimpressed with men generally, and seeing one with that name, well, you probably got a barb meant for another Max. Sorry

#13832 12/27/00 12:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
this has been pointed out before, you ineffable yarter.

Couldn't stand the heat, huh?

And Max, you're more than welcome, but you're going to have
to stop implying that you're inferior, and that's all there
is to it, or I'll tickle you all the way home.

#13833 12/27/00 01:17 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Oooo Jackie, don`t tempt him, he might just say yes After all that absence, he might appreciate a little trip to the gutter. Welcome back MaxieQ.

#13834 12/27/00 02:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You couldn't pay me to drink out of lead pipes
Nor I but i like my cast iron waste pipes to be well sealed-- packed with oakum and a lead joint.. and old pipes sometime had a wiped lead joint where the trap met the stack. (Unlike some cities, NY has never suffered a major fire, or war, or flood, and there are many, many old building about. There are a whole host of term to define them, old Law tenement {before 1890}, new law tenement{up to about 1920's}, prewar{before WWII}, modern {Post WWII}. These terms just cover residental buildings.)
The Mad Hatter-- but is a hatter the same as milliner?--I didn't say it, but it was a woman talking, she was lamenting a lack of good hats, and not being able to find a hat maker to make her a custom one..
I am wonder about Hatter/milliner. Is it like taylor and seamstress? different terms for the same skill depending on the sex--gender- of the person employed to do the job?

The obe "archaic" trade that exists here now only in surnames would seem to be fletcher, as we still have smiths and farriers..

Well we still have farriers-- there are enough horses around. I even suggested it as career to my daughter when she was in her horse loving phase.. there is a school for farriers in kentucky-- which as Jackie once (in a long ago thread)pointed out, is the very heart of horse country in US--not that NY is far behind.. I am only a few miles from "run for Roses"-- the third leg of the triple crown of american horse racing that starts down Jackie's way.
There are no smiths-- sky scrapers have iron workers. which is very different trade.
But what is a fletcher?

#13835 12/27/00 02:45 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I may be off the mark but I believe a FLETCHER has to do with bows and arrows. The feathers on the arrows are fletches and I think that a fletcher is a person specializing in the fletch to make an arrow fly just the way an archer wants. It will be interesting to find out whether my understanding is a bullseye or totally off the mark!
wow
P. S. When he was a young man my Uncle Charles hunted birds with bow and arrow as he thought it more sporting than a gun. Also he killed only what he needed to eat. Now in his 90s he "hunts" only with a camera.

#13836 12/27/00 04:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Nemo--
That was nice of you, to apologize to our Max.
Hope your Max is ok!

#13837 12/27/00 07:26 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
In reply to:

P. S. When he was a young man my Uncle Charles hunted birds with bow and arrow as he thought it more sporting than a gun.

When my stepbrother was in his early twenties, he went through a phase of hunting with a crossbow - it was definitely very sporting of him, as he would have killed more game with a camera. The hunting bolts he used were devoid of fletching, maybe that was the problem.

#13838 12/27/00 07:46 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Max wrote : When my stepbrother was in his early twenties, he went through a phase of hunting with a crossbow - it was definitely very sporting of him, as he would have killed more game with a camera.

Charles used bow and arrow -- just like Robin Hood -- with fletches -- none of that military hardware for him! And he ate well. He went to camera after the war when he was a member of the First Photographic Squadron in the USAAF. (Army Air Force before we had a separate branch for the Air Force) Hoo-HA![grin emoticon here if we had one!]
wow

#13839 12/27/00 07:50 PM
N
N
Thank you, Jackie, and yes I have made peace with my Max, and with Max Q. Your concern is appreciated, it's nice to know that my presence here is welcome, that someone actually wants me to stay around. Your encouragement will keep me here.

#13840 12/27/00 09:19 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
In reply to:

what is a fletcher?

A fletcher is someone who makes arrows, or at least affixes the feathers to arrows. There is a connection between fletch (fledge, as in young bird) and feather which I can allege without looking in OED and no doubt someone will and give us the exact details.

As to farriers, I happen to live in the city of the second jewel in the Triple Crown (the Preakness) and can tell you that there are farriers here also, as there are quite a few working horse farms outside Baltimore.

#13841 12/28/00 01:46 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

I am wonder about Hatter/milliner. Is it like taylor and seamstress? different terms for the same skill depending on the sex--gender- of the person employed to do the job?

I think the difference between a hatter and a milliner depends on the sex of the person who is going to wear the creation not on that of the maker, but I could be wrong.

Bingley

Bingley
#13842 12/28/00 01:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks Bingley-- i wasn't sure it if was the end product, or the production. The hatter is "mad" from mercury poisoning.. some sort of mercury compound was used to turn beaver skins into stiff top hats.. where as milliners used fabic, felt, feathers, ect.. It was (and to some degree remains) a whole different style of hat making.. I think today, most men's hats have a wool felt base, as do many woman's hats, rather than fur. Unless, of course they are "fur hats".

#13843 12/28/00 06:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My mother had a brief "career" as a milliner shortly after she left school. We kids called her the "Mad Hatter" from the time we were old enough to (a) read AIW, and (b) make the obvious connection.

Once we had scattered, she was known to sign letters off as TMH. One of your family in-jokes.

As an aside, I seem to remember seeing the expression "man-milliner" used to describe a woman who was manipulative, particularly of men. Any connections, anyone?

old hand
old hand
In a gross display of thoughtlessness, I will resurrect this thread that died in indignity nearly two months ago, before I was but a wee stranger on the board. I'd like to help clarify some of this milliner/hatter and tailor/seamstress business.

I've never thought of any distinction between a milliner and a hatter, although as mentioned previously by of troy, it may have something to do with the materials employed to affect the end product. But as for tailor vs. seamstress, there is indeed a strong distinction between the two terms, as "seamstress" (or her y-chromosomal counterpart, the "seamster", at least in my world) merely requires a skill-base in sewing. To achieve "tailor"-hood means an understanding of the effective draping of flat fabric, governed by grain, nap, pile, warp, and weft, upon the 3-dimensional human form. That is to say, a seamstress can't necessarily make a tuxedo jacket.

I rose through the ranks of the costume shop at the Santa Fe Opera, and believe me, there are more job distinctions than you would have ever thought possible!

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In my youth, my Dad had his hats made by a hatter at the Boston Hat and Cap Shop who dealt with felts, heavy tweeds and such and made men's hats and caps.
My Mother had hats made by a milliner who worked with straw and silk and flowers and made women's hats exclusively. For example Hattie Carnegie was famous as a milliner of very expensive women's hats in New York City!
Anyone else?
wow

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith