Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#137326 01/19/05 03:56 PM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
Don't we pretty much use 'to pine' in the same sense (and more senses beyond) of 'to repine'? It reminds me of the same relationship between iterate and reiterate with 're' being an intensifier, although I think here people use reiterate more than iterate, whereas they use 'pine' over 'repine.'

Some people "iterate", others "reiterate"
Either way etymologists consider them literate.
It's the same with "pine"
And it's cousin "repine"
Either way you will feel like you want to commiserate.

#137327 01/20/05 08:21 AM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
Today's AWAD is "diriment":

diriment (DIR-uh-ment) adjective

Nullifying.

[From diriment-em, present participle of dirimere (to separate or interrupt), from emere (to take). Ultimately from Indo-European root em- (to take or distribute) that is also the source of words such as example, sample, assume, consume, prompt, ransom, vintage, and redeem.]

Merriment can be a diriment to success as we discover in today's ALAD.

#137328 01/20/05 02:39 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I read in one source that diriment = absolute.

#137329 01/20/05 04:19 PM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
diriment = absolute

I found that reference as well, Wordwind. At least, I think it's the same reference:

Diriment \Dir"i*ment\, a. [L. dirimens, p. pr. of dirimere. See Dirempt.] (Law) Absolute

I've never seen the term used in law before, but I assume that it is used in the sense of "absolute nullification". Since "nullification" nullifies something absolutely, the word "absolute" would appear to be unnecessary.

But jurists are adroit in finding escape hatches in words where no-one else [in particular, lawmakers] can find them. They have conjured up nullities which can be reversed, and other nullities, namely, "absolute nullities", which cannot be reversed.

"Nullities have been divided into absolute and relative. Absolute nullities are those which may be insisted upon by any one having an interest in rendering the act, deed or writing null, even by the public authorities, as a second marriage while the former was in full force. Everything fraudulent is null and void.

Relative nullities can be invoked only by those in whose favor the law has been established, and, in fact, such power is less a nullity of the act than a faculty which one or more persons have to oppose the validity of the act.

http://www.lectlaw.com/def2/n082.htm

BTW the same head scratching goes in law with "void" ["void ab initio"] and "voidable".

VOID - Having no legal effect or consequence.
http://www.lectlaw.com/def2/u041.htm

VOIDABLE - Having no legal effect or consequence if the party affected so chooses.
http://www.lectlaw.com/def2/u043.htm

#137330 01/20/05 04:25 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
So, it would follow that deriment nullities are absolute nullities and cannot be nullified. Leave it to the legal profession...

#137331 01/20/05 04:37 PM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
deriment nullities are absolute nullities and cannot be nullified

That's it, Wordwind. It's like falling down the rabbit hole:

"In another moment down went Alice after it, never once considering how in the world she was to get out again.

The rabbit-hole went straight on like a tunnel for some way, and then dipped suddenly down, so suddenly that Alice had not a moment to think about stopping herself before she found herself falling down a very deep well.

Either the well was very deep, or she fell very slowly, for she had plenty of time as she went down to look about her and to wonder what was going to happen next."

http://www.snark.de/carroll/alice/alice1.html

You have just fallen down the lawyer's rabbit hole, Wordwind.

Happily, this gives me a chance to plug tsuwm's thread "the plasticity of words".

#137332 01/21/05 05:39 AM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
Today's AWAD is:

animus (AN-uh-muhs) noun

1. Hostility; ill will.

2. Purpose; disposition; governing spirit.

3. In Jungian psychology, the masculine part of a women's personal unconscious.

[From Latin animus (spirit, mind).]

Aha! Now I know why Anu called this a "Water of India" week with no particular weekly theme. Because it's a trick. It's all an illusion.

There isn't supposed to be a weekly theme, but actually there is one. There isn't supposed to be a rabbit in a top hat either, but "PRESTO", there's a rabbit!

Have you noticed, it's always a white rabbit? Do you suppose it has something to do with the White Rabbit in Alice and Wonderland? Alice popped out of a rabbit hole and a white rabbit pops out of a top hat.

Do you suppose Anu is trying to tell us something here?

Of course! He wants us to figure out the Weekly Theme for ourselves. Clever idea, Anu. You never run out of clever ideas, do you? Just like the "Water of India".

OK. Let's look at all of this week's AWADs:

odium, presentism, repine, diriment and animus.

Where's the white rabbit? What's the weekly theme?
[Drat! I should have figured this out yesterday when Anu led us down that rabbit hole with "diriment".]

I think I know, do you? If I'm right, you'll find a clue in today's ALAD. ['Course only Anu can say for sure. But a magician never tells. So we'll have to figure it our for ourselves.]

One other thing regarding the "animus" which is the masculine side of a woman's unconscious: Do you suppose Jung had some unresolved problems with women? [If he did, he's not the only one.]

Now this is really going to throw you. Did you know your dog has "animus" towards you. It's true. He's got animus revertendi.

If you're going to post your own answer, don't read this [it could throw you off your "animus"]:

All of this week's AWADs describe angry, anxious or censorious states of mind.

BTW I have a special treat for you today deja daedalus from our own Dr. Bill [wwh]. Check out "daedalus" in "AWAD in Schools".

#137333 01/21/05 04:36 PM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
The commentary below is posted separately because Dr. Bill [wwh] invited me to investigate the association of the term "animus" with "penis envy" in Jungian psychology. Here is the result:

Extract:

Freud said, "Anatomy is destiny." He was much preoccupied with the genitals, and the role of the genitals in our minds and in guiding our lives. Freud felt that every boy both fears his father and wants to become like him. Many of his male patients expressed anxiety about their penis, as well as fears of having it cut off. The fears were based in part on actual threats in 19th-century pedagogy (where boys caught masturbating were threatened with having their penis amputated), but also, according to Freud, on a son's fear that his penis might be bigger than his father's and that consequently his father would cut it off. (It is for this reason, said Freud, that many men have problems if they earn more money, or achieve greater success, than their fathers.)
Freud's female patients told him of their childhood envy of their brothers and fathers, men with an obvious appendage between their legs. Many also told him that when they began to menstruate, they assumed they had been genitally mutilated, that the blood between their legs was the consequence of their mother cutting off their penis. Freud believed these experiences created a yearning in women to have a penis so as to be as penetrative as men - not only literally, but also in the sense that they would have the right, the permission and the capacity to "penetrate" the world.
--------------
Now, as then, there is not a single shred of empirical evidence supporting Freud's theory that suppressed desires-sexual or otherwise-rise up in our dreams disguised as symbols which therapists can usefully decode. Nor is there any scientific evidence to support the ideas of Carl Jung, Freud's renegade disciple, who believed symbols in dreams aren't disguised but have more direct meanings, some of them universal (a circle, said Jung, stands for "unity").

http://www.fortunecity.com/emachines/e11/86/freud.html

Dr. Bill has just offered this little appendage:

ancient joke. Little girl at a picnic
sees a little boy peeing, and exclaims:' What a handy
thing to bring to a picnic!'

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 854 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith