Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#136783 01/06/05 06:13 PM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
I don’t understand this connection between the words nose and narc.

You're right, Maverick. There is no connection between "narc" with a "c" and "nose". Sorry. I goofed. I should have written "nark", not "narc", everywhere. [Anu posted a subnote on "narc", short for "narcotics", which I didn't use because it isn't the "Word of the Day".]

So, your comment on "narc" is right on the nose.

As for "keen nose" and "landing on the nose", it gives "nose" a badly needed nose job. :)

re "tosh?": Merriam-Webster Online supplies this defn.
"sheer nonsense : BOSH, TWADDLE"

But, you're right! You narked me with this one. I thought a "tosh" is a butt, but it's not.

A "tush" is a butt.
'tush Function: noun
Etymology: perhaps modification of Yiddish tokhes, from Hebrew tahath under, beneath
slang : BUTTOCKS

Thanks for your ? mark. I amended my limerick. :)

#136784 01/06/05 06:26 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I wonder if the tosh/bosh is a cross-pond or other regional variation, btw? I don't think I recognised the word bosh at all prior to the recent posts.

[empty boast!] didja notice how Anu used the word 'nark' just after I sent him that limerick? [/empty boast!]

P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
[empty boast!] didja notice how Anu used the word 'nark' just after I sent him that limerick? [/empty boast!]

No, I didn't notice but I just went back and found your opening line: It’s a Global Brand Manager’s nark

I confess I didn't know what a "nark" was when I read you limerick, and I was too lazy to look it up. [I did get the drift of it tho so I enjoyed your limerick anyway.]

Perhaps there is value in posting Anu's "Word of the Day" after all. It's my hope that by adding "live" discussion of Anu's daily words, it could add a new dimension of value for people who receive his "Word of the Day" email [not just members of AWADtalk].

That could result in more people coming to us who read Anu's daily AWAD email, people like drallie, who wrote on January 4th [on her first thread "Word Conveying Reflection"]:

"When Anu responded to my email by politely explaining "my limited time prevents me from doing justice to individual questions" and suggesting I post the question here, well.... I have known for several years that AWAD listmembers were creative and thoughtful folks; the depth to which some go to comment on individual words has been enormously pleasurable (not to mention educational!!). I didn't expect, however, that my little query (truly a vexing question for multiple years now) would generate this most wonderful threaded response. Thank you so very much!!

IDEA!!!

If Anu saw that our daily discussions of his "Word of the Day" produced additional value for his readers, on the testimony of people like draille, he might consider including mention of AWADtalk [even a link] in his daily "Word for the Day".

Think of how many amazing new visitors that might bring, some of them as amazing as draille who started a thread everyone loved about "moonglades" and "moonbows" [including photos], kumatage and more.

BTW here is a photo of a "moonbow" which was posted by Owlbow:

http://www.mfa.org/artemis/fullrecord.asp?oid=34049

I'm posting this photo as a way of saying thanks to drallie. "Thanks, drallie." :)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Um--I think Anu does offer a link...oops, I must have been thinking of the Home Page (thanks, Bill); you're right, it's not in the W.A.D.
And--the picture in the link is a painting, and--it's of a moonglade. Here is a photo of a moonbow:
http://www.johnsnellphoto.com/moonbow.html

P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
Thanks for posting additonal moon link, Jackie.

#136788 01/07/05 08:36 AM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
peri (PEER-ee) noun
1. A fairy in Persian mythology.
2. A beautiful, graceful girl or woman.
[From Persian peri, variant of pari (fairy), from Avestan pairika (witch or female demon.]

Anu must be smiling on Of Troy's new limerick thread in "Wordplay and Fun".

4 of the 5 words he gave us this Week ["borrowed from other languages"] are colorful, punchy, memorable words, full of personality, which would liven up any limerick writer's rhyme [or tosh salad]:

"peri", "nark", "spookum" and "bosh", and let's toss in "tosh", which means the same as "bosh", for good measure.

Anyone could make a tosh salad out of that! In fact, I think I'll try. But you'll have to visit Of Troy's limerick thread to see it. [It's really getting lively over there. You'll have to see it to believe it! Seems we've got more limerick talent around here than anyone new! ]

And I should warn you in advance. There are as many ways to make a "Tosh Salad" as there are ways to make a "Vinaigrette" salad. If you have any doubts about that, you should visit Father Steve's "Vinaigrette" thread right here in "Q & A about Words". [I think he calls it "The Old Padre's Favorites" - TOP Favorites, for short.] P.S. Some people say "the Old Padre" has very esotericlesiastical tastes. :) [He has a good recipe for life as well as for salads, you will discover with amusement.]

AND we've got many other posters here to suit every imaginable taste.

You've already met Maverick, and there are more old-timers like tsuwm and Faldage and ASp and Jackie and Wordwind -- to mention only a few.

And newcomers like themilum [who's really not so new] and drallie [who is really, really new].

So make you own "tosh salad", or maybe make it a stew.
There is someone here, or something here, for every point of view.

Oh, yes. And Dr. Bill is here too. He's like our own AWADtalk angel. Don't believe it? Send a PM to wwh. You won't regret it. :)

#136789 01/08/05 12:24 AM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Sorry I'm jumping back to skookum. On the south coast of BC it was used to mean big and strong. As in a "Skookum baby boy" or "skookum chuck" for big seas or rough (ocean) water. I don't know if this was an accurate translation or the English mistranslation.

#136790 01/08/05 01:11 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"And I should warn you in advance. There are as many ways to make a "Tosh Salad" as there are ways to make a "Vinaigrette" salad. If you have any doubts about that, you should visit Father Steve's "Vinaigrette" thread right here in "Q & A about Words". [I think he calls it "The Old Padre's Favorites" - TOP Favorites, for short.] P.S. Some people say "the Old Padre" has very esotericlesiastical tastes. :) [He has a good recipe for life as well as for salads, you will discover with amusement.]

AND we've got many other posters here to suit every imaginable taste.

You've already met Maverick, and there are more old-timers like tsuwm and Faldage and ASp and Jackie and Wordwind -- to mention only a few.

And newcomers like themilum [who's really not so new] and drallie [who is really, really new]."

And what are you talking about? And who's "we"?

You win, dude. I'm off to our alternative board. Maybe when you get a job again and pipe down, we'll return. Have fun talking to yourself and dominating/monopolizing the newcomers to these forums, which were once interesting places to discuss language and maybe someday will be again..

#136791 01/08/05 01:40 AM
T
veteran
veteran
T
You win, dude. I'm off to our alternative board.
Maybe when you get a job again and pipe down, we'll return.

Hey AnnaStrophic, don't go!
And I wonder, when you say "we" does that mean that you
are taking Faldage to your alternate board too?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Anna, your attitude!

Interesting thing attitude.. ever met an employee with a bad one? ever wonder why a company would hire someone with such a bad attitude?

WEll, the answer, short and sweet, is companies don't hire people with crappy attitudes.. they hire bright, outgoing, hardworking people.. and somehow over time, these people become lazy, sullen, and nasty.

a lot of them end up hating their jobs.. How did it happen?

how did they get an attitude? (how did you get yours Anna, or i mine?)

easy enough. take employee and treat them unfairly. make promises (and don't keep them) reward the lazy, punish the hard worker, be critical of the helpful employee.--eventually the hard worker learns laziness is rewarded, and becomes lazy, and good ideas are treated with contempt, and helpful behavior is not wanted or desired, and learns to cut it out. POOR MANAGEMENT CREATES a POOR ATTITUDE.

in social situation, (school, or clubs or whatnot) how do these organization live or die? --why do active clubs and organization last for years and then peter out and die? same way.
an organization exist with active members, who over time have reached a general consenous on behavior and norms.
things change, at members move in and out of the organization at will. games evolve, (and continue or die out) based on nothing but skill and interest.

THEN one person 'appoints' them self as a special. No reason, they just deside, I am special, everyone take note
it falls to 'reason' everything this person says should be treated with special honor.. when that doesn't happen, the appointed one complains about the clic--who disregard all 'GOOD' suggestions..(that is all his suggestions) the un-reasonable ones who are preventing things from being 'better'. he doesn't particapate in the games, (well not every one does) AND HE COMPLAINS THAT OTHERS DO!

the appointed one filabusters, and repeats all the good suggestions again and again, (In case we missed them the first time) and then details (oh my the detail!) all the benefits of his suggestions. (and loudly and repeated cries foul when his suggestions are not immediatly put into practice.)

as time passes, and they are still not adapted, he starts a letter writing campaign. and suddenly, there are all these other people who join in like a greek choirs to laud his ideas, and press for their adaption.--to bad these letters are all written by him, in praise of him, and sent by him, (under different names).

the result, is others tend to avoid speaking or interacting with the appointed one, -which he then uses as "PROOF" there is a conspiracy against him. --he is sure all his true supporters are being cohersed into complicity--it must be so! what other reason could exist for some many people dislikeing him?)

One by one the original members (the ones who are supposedly blocking all the good members and their good ideas from being implimented) stop being part of the group.

activity comes to a standstill--only one voice is heard.
the appointed one

Now the appointed one takes over and HE speaks in the imperial WE, and acts mystified that everyone doesn't fall at his feet and proclaim him god.

he is truly mystified that he is unliked.. AFTER ALL HE HAS ALL THE GOOD IDEAs (under lock and key)and besides, he has pointed out, how bad all the old members are for the organization.. he has proof positive they were a bad lot; they have ignored his ideas!

and he reigns in over his imaginary kingdom, proud of his success in vanquishing all.. the kindom is empty, all is gone.. success at last, only where are the adorning crowds?

gone.. gone gone..

stand in awe of his wisdom.. (no one there, no one there..)

Of course, HE hasn't driven anyone off.. every one is free to stay (and admire him, and all his handywork) and well if they leave, Oh, too bad..

too bad, max, too bad jheem, too bad now, to annastrophic.

too bad, too bad..TOO BAD ABOUT YOUR POOR ATTITUDE. You are not good for this place, your bad attitude makes that obvious! WHERE EVER DID YOU GET?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (A C Bowden, wofahulicodoc), 1,258 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith