sjmaxq Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Not as dominant as I had thought:
http://snipurl.com/bm76-mq42

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, Max! This is very interesting, but I'm confused (not unusual, but..). I understood from the first part of the article that putonghua was the Mandarin word for "Mandarin Chinese," but then I read this:

Moreover, Yin said her dialect gives her a feeling of home, however, she said the use of dialects will not decrease the influence and popularity of putonghua. "It is complementary to Mandarin," she said.

sjmaxq Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
This wikipedia snippet may help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putonghua

If I'm reading this correctly, the relationship between putonghua and Mandarin has a parallel in Northern India.
Hindi is an artifice, created from one major regional language/dialect, called KhariBoli, which was standardised and imposed as a national language. There are many variants of "Hindi", and even the standardised version is still sometimes called KhariBoli, after the (Delhi-based) variant that forms the foundation of standard Hindi. Perhaps there is a similiar relationship between putonghua and Mandrain?

P
veteran
veteran
P
More and more Chinese nowadays are able to communicate using Chinese Mandarin ... the standard spoken language also known as putonghua.

Agreed, it is confusing, ASp. But I think the confusion is resolved if one understands the words "putonghua" and "Madarin" to have exactly the same meaning.

It's probably the same difference as the difference between "Peking" and "Beijing".

In the passage below which creates the confusion, it is not putonghua which is "complementary", it is "the use of dialects" which is "complementary".

"Yin said her dialect gives her a feeling of home, however, she said the use of dialects will not decrease the influence and popularity of putonghua. "It is complementary to Mandarin," she said."

I understand Yin to mean that speaking her dialect at home and putonghua [Mandarin] at work is equivalent to wearing slippers at home and dress shoes at work. "Complementary" is not the best word to describe that thought, and that adds to the confusion.

Yin's dialect is not really "complementary" to Mandarin, but it is not injurious to Mandarin either.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I wish jheem were still around...

P
veteran
veteran
P

So do I, ASp.

He would have stated with authority* what I merely surmised.

"The history of the Chinese Language dates back at least 6,000 years. Today, the official language of China is Mandarin Chinese or Putonghua meaning common speech. Historically, Putonghua was the dialect spoken by the majority ethnic group within China, the Han, who make up about 80% of the population. Indeed, the term most commonly used by the Chinese themselves to refer to their language is Hanyu meaning the "Han-language"."

http://www.cctv.com/program/RediscoveringChina/20030326/100838.shtml

* But I wish he were around for other reasons as well, as we all do. We miss him.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
do you wonder why he isn't around?
rumor has it, it got tired of a person posting complaints and nonsense
yes, one person keeps complaining and complaining about how he is 'hampered and mistreated' (somehow--but somehow, he manages to make complaint after complaintunhampered in anyway.)
and this same person fill up bandwidth with post after post of garbage.. quoting himself, and patting himself on the back for being so clever.. (and even brags he is proud that many poster have been driven away.. (meanwhile one of his complaints major complaints is other are driving a way posters--not that there is any proof--in fact, evidence is to the contrary)

but YES, it is a shame and shameful that jheem has been driven away.

this reminds me of the case of the child who kills his parents, and then begs for the courts mercy because he is an orphan.

T
veteran
veteran
T

Really? Maybe jheem would still be around if we had been thoughtful enough to stop and wish him a Happy Birthday.

Happy Birthday jheem, you are missed.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

So do I, ASp.

and who says Americans don't understand irony...

formerly known as etaoin...
T
veteran
veteran
T
Damn, is Christmas over?

Someone please go ask jheem what great offence caused his withdrawal from this august board.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 767 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith