About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#136029 12/18/04 03:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Can genius be thwarted by impecuniosity?

Yes it can and does quite often... of course not always... and some do rise to the surface of the muck and mire that surrounds them. But let us look to those who we (the whole electing world) elect as leadership in a search for progress, as representatives of who/what/how/why, etc... they reflect certain proof, of the most unforgiving kind, of the *transgressions brought upon those we would call "geniuses".

The 'webranet' ain't gonna help much...

#136030 12/18/04 04:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a whole new industry will be born. get on board now to design the online equivient of the TV guide.

with every one able to write, and pass their stuff off as 'literature' a whole new breed of reviewers, and organizers will be needed just for literture.

google, good as it is, is a generalist. we'll need search engines like google to learn which search engine we need to use to find:
classical
childrens
poetry
foriegn language
etc
works of fiction, and non fiction. (and to weed out the garbage)

no doubt there will be a 'romance' search engine, finding every crappy romance novel there is in creation (on line) and there will be version of something like WebMD with links to on line research artiles, and other specialized info (like what now might be found in JAMA, or Lancet)

when radio came along, every thought concerts would be a thing of the past. concerts and there audiences have changed, (as have peoples listening habits.. who would have thought that talk radio and country music would dominate the radio dial?)but there are still concerts. (and more people go than ever!)

the internet, and internet access to library collections will change things. will it be for the better? not completely. TV changed things. sure 99% (maybe even 99.9%) of it is garbage, but oh that 01.0 and 0.10%-- some of that stuff is wonderful!

as more and more people get computers, and get on line, things will changes. (will the net remain mostly english? if not what language will dominate?) and companies (and non profits!) on the net will have to appeal to the biggest niche 'audience' (at that will be?)

#136031 12/18/04 04:24 PM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
This story is the 10th most emailed story today on the New York Times website:

"Questions and Praise for Google Web Library"

The story includes this extract:

"What I've learned is that libraries help people formulate questions as well as find answers," Ms. Wittenberg said. "Who will do that in a virtual world?"*

On the other hand, she said, an enhanced databank could make it easier for students to research topics across disciplines, changing the questions that professors ask and providing more robust answers. For example, a topic like "climate change" touches on both political science and science, she said, and "in the physical world, the books about them are in two different buildings at Columbia."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/18/books/18libr.html

*Looks like Of Troy has answered her question:

a whole new industry will be born. get on board now to design the online equivient of the TV guide

Good one, Of Troy.

#136032 12/18/04 04:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A) The internet is privately owned... and don't you forget it.

http://www.spambag.org/intro.html

2) Of Troy, I appreciate your 'comparison' to television, but I go further and 'equate' it. It is honestly trying to not fail as an educational tool like TV did, and I do think it will succeed. However, it will always be right next to my phillips screwdriver in my tool belt... while I'm playing the piano.

&) - Are we having fun, yet?

#136033 12/18/04 04:41 PM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
You've a head like a glass of Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer.

The last time you paid me a beer-related compliment, themilum - as I recall, you compared me to a "long necked Bud" - you never allowed my head to settle in the unexpected bliss.

#136034 12/20/04 02:41 PM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
Revolutionary chapter
Google's ambitious book-scanning plan seen as key shift in paper-based culture

San Francisco Chronicle, Monday, December 20, 2004
Carolyn Said, Chronicle Staff Writer

Extract:

"This is one of the great milestones in the shift of our culture from paper-based to electronic," said Andrew Herkovic, a Stanford librarian working with Google on the project. "There is in effect a social recognition that we need to transfer the information from paper-based as in the past into the delivery medium of the future."

The logistics involved are staggering."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/12/20/BUGROAD6QT1.DTL

#136035 12/20/04 04:08 PM
veteran
veteran

I'm wonder if 50 years from now, a student could read London's "The Open Window," for example, with the same sense of suspense.

k

#136036 12/21/04 10:44 AM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
Electronic Library
New York Times Editorial
Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Extract:

"The prospect is inherently enticing, especially to anyone who has ever worked in a major research library. Google says it will take six years to scan some 15 million books. It will take even longer to understand the cultural implications of admitting everyone with Internet access to the contents of the world's great research libraries.

But there are some serious concerns. One is about copyright. At the outset, this project will be limited to books that are old enough to no longer be under copyright. This is as it should be. It will serve as a demonstration of the immensity - and the immense cultural value - of works in the public domain, and could well kindle a new appreciation of the significance of the public domain."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/21/opinion/21tue2.html?oref=login&hp

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 818 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith