Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#135538 11/25/04 02:29 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I was trying to look up a word jheem used (and only now realized that I got so sidetracked I never got to it!) and found these bemusing words:

WAPathy
noun. The general lack of interest in WAP (Wireless Application Protocol), the technology that enables Web pages to be viewed on the latest generation of cell phones.

Example Citation:
"Most people have barely heard of WAP phones — the mobiles which use a cut-down version of the Internet — yet already there's a new word to get used to: WAPathy. Instead of connecting to the latest technology, the early signs are that people are switching off."
—Patrick Collinson, "Phones fail to ring up sales," The Guardian, July 8, 2000

and

WAPlash
n. The backlash against accessing the Internet using a WAP-enabled cell phone or other wireless device. Also: WAP lash or WAP-lash.

Example Citation:
This week we look at one of the snappiest words to talk its way into the language of the new economy. In a cutting edge dictionary it comes between Walmartian (someone who buys everything from jump leads to jewellery at Wal-Mart) and warpig (a very ugly person). The word which is keeping the wireless industry awake at night is WAPlash.
—"Mobile Net on track despite consumer WAPlash," South China Morning Post, April 3, 2002

Notes:
What I want to know is, who's the genius who thought people would actually want to view Internet data on a teensy cell phone screen? And who are the near-geniuses who didn't immediately slap that person upside the head for suggesting such a silly thing?

Both are from
http://www.wordspy.com/, where I was also amused by the word lexpionage.

#135539 11/25/04 03:28 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
What was the word that jheem used?

#135540 11/27/04 03:34 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
What was the word that jheem used? polysemy. Reckon I'd better LIU now: (From Gurunet)

pol·y·se·mous (pŏl'ç-sç'məs)
adj.
Having or characterized by many meanings: highly polysemous words such as play and table.

[From Late Latin polysçmus, from Greek polusçmos : polu-, poly- + sçma, sign.]

pol'y·se'my (pŏl'ç-sç'mç, pə-lĭs'ə-) n.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 286 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith