Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
totally off-off-off-topic: I never saw the schwa there; it's been 'ess aitch ay bee bee square ell you ell' from post one. I had assumed it was a Mac thang, but.

J
jheem Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Back on topic: shabbəlul spelled with a schwa (Unicode 0259) rather than a square box was typed by me on a Windoze machine, but it should show up on Macs and Unix boxes if they support Unicode. Your OS or browser may be too old.

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0250.pdf

J
jheem Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
From Robert A. Hall Jr's book, Leave Your Language Alone!:

The situation with respect to spelling is much the same as it is with regard to "correct" speech in our society. In each case, an irrational, meaningless standard is set up as a shibboleth for people to conform to, which in many instances puts a premium on lack of realism and on unnaturalness in speech or its representation. In particular, our society's emphasis on trhe irregularities of English spelling has brought many of us to a point where we cannot distinguish between speech and writing, and where we cannot even conceive sounds as existing distinct from and prior to letters. Consequently, anyone who goes through our schooling system has to waste years of his life in aquiring a wasteful, and, in the long run, damaging set of spelling habits, thus ultimately unfitting himself to understand the nature of language, and its function unless he puts in extra effort to rid himself of all the misconceptions and prejudices that our system has foisted on him. [pp.45f.]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Back on topic: shabb?lul spelled with a schwa (Unicode 0259)

ja, when nuncle writes it, I see the schwa, but when Faldage types it, I don't. not a biggie, just curious.

and when I copy it from jheem, it shows a ?... hmm. and if I change my view to Unicode, it makes no difference, I still see the ?

does Hall offer a solution to the educational dilemma?

formerly known as etaoin...
J
jheem Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
does Hall offer a solution to the educational dilemma?

Don't think so. Or not that I remember. I'm still re-reading it (first time was a long time ago).

veteran
veteran

The situation with respect to spelling is much the same as it is with regard to "correct" speech in our society.

Can I correctly infer that Hall considers those people snobs who looked down their noses at GWB for enunciating nukUler. (If I recall ... and this has been a while, but I thought my all time favorite pres used to pronounce it the same way.)

k

J
jheem Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Can I correctly infer that Hall considers those people snobs who looked down their noses at GWB for enunciating nukUler.

Yup. So do one or two of the linguists over at the Language Log blog (Pullum at least, but maybe McWhorter, too). (Though they might not agree with Dubya's politics, they hardly agree with folks who abuse Bush for his idiolect.) One of them, Geoff Nunberg has written a book about it called Going Nucular: Language, Politics, and Culture in Controversial Times . But the president to use it before Dubya was, I believe, Ike. What Dubya has done is try hard not to speak like his New Englander father. (Personal disclosure: I liked the elder Bush's dialect better.)

veteran
veteran

Hmmm ... and I thought it was Jimmy.

k

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jimmy said nyu-kee-ur. The y-glide was relatively light.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 743 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith