Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#134825 11/09/04 03:46 PM
K
stranger
stranger
K
Keiva speaking, under this name because the software does not accept my own. Please excuse me for interrupting to confirm what max said. I check this board periodically to assure that I am not referred to in a way that makes a response necessary, and until now my name had not been mentioned here for more than two years.

Max, you are 100% correct. You've expunged your posts from the time (thank you!), which makes it somewhat hard for you to defend them, but I am probably the one best-positioned to remember and confirm that you at no time used racist or ethnic insults – neither in your name nor in any other name I suspect to have been you. Whatever one may say about your comments about me, they were emphatically never racist.

I'll go further. Given the sad fact that there are anti-Semites in this world, it may be statistically inevitable that a board of this size will have people of that sort. But I saw remarkably few posters here whom I ever felt might be at all anti-Semitic (fewer than the fingers on one hand) – max not being among them. Also, even of those few who made comments that might perhaps be considered anti-semitic, only one person – who is not a prolific poster – ever directed such remarks personally at me.

Secondly, someone had ventured the thought, now deleted, that I might be the person who posts as plutarch. I can see that he is a [fill in pejorative term of your choice], but rest assured that I am not he (and have not posted here under any name since the shall-we-say "unpleasantness"). Your administrator, whose judgement you trust, can probably verify this for you by comparing our IP numbers. Frankly, it would be stupid of me to post here in plutarch's manner, for it would be entirely against the interest of my own board to stir up controversy with you AWAD folks.

Finally, I quite agree with nancyK that there is nothing to be gained by rehashing the past, but a great deal to be lost. For that reason, I much prefer not to respond to negative comments about me, however extreme or inaccurate they might be. As Capfka notes, "tact" is required. Jackie, I trust, would agree that kicking up that old hornets'-nest isn't in the interest of this board.

Thank you. All the best to you.

#134826 11/09/04 05:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you, keeva.

peace

#134827 11/09/04 08:13 PM
T
veteran
veteran
T
Wonderful! A page has been turned. Much good can be gotten when people are open and direct. Good luck, Keeva, may your future be blessed with many grandchildren.

Milum

#134828 11/10/04 06:15 PM
G
journeyman
journeyman
G
In my experience, there is no "controlling clique" here on the Board. I've only been aBoard for - gasp - three months short of a year (it seems like so much longer), and even in my first posts I was welcomed with (as far as I can tell) open arms.
Concrete example: On a recent post, I was worried that my contribution might be misinterpreted as showoffy. I need not have worried, for as belMarduk posted later:

We're all here to have fun and to learn. As you see from all of our posts, everybody is welcome to add their two-cents' worth. I'm sure nobody thinks you were trying to be a know-it-all so opine away!

So, essentially, I say no - we're all equally equivalent equals here.

#134829 11/14/04 07:38 PM
J
J
If I had known the scholarly qualifications of those who post here, I would probably never have posted anything but an occasional question, but after having rushed in where linguophiles tread, I was welcomed and enjoy the board more all the time.
My early errors were ignored or corrected kindly, and if I've expressed a misguided thought or two I've never felt that I was slapped on the hand and told to go sit in the corner! I love the diversities and common interests to be found here, and enjoy sharing the questions and oddities that we all come up with.(Iknow, dangler--with which we all come up? No way around it!)
If a thread gets tangled with animosities and angers, I don't feel obligated to read all that or stir it up. I've had a couple of private posts that I really appreciate, I just don't spend enough time on mail, e- or snail.
My complaint about AWADT is that it probably should have a warning label--"May be addictive!"
Thanks for letting me look in, and especially for "talking"
with me!

#134830 11/17/04 09:47 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
My complaint about AWADT is that it probably should have a warning label--"May be addictive!"

HA! That's the best description yet, Jomama. But it's a good addictive - like chocolate...yummmm.

#134831 11/24/04 03:40 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Talking of chocolate, I saw this yesterday: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041122/325/f74zl.html

Do you think we could get it prescribed in its natural form rather than as a pill? And claim the cost of repeated doses off medical insurance?

Bingley

Bingley
#134832 11/24/04 09:59 AM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I heard that on the radio yesterday. I'm waiting to find how many hundredweights of chocolate you need to eat to get the benefit! I'll bet it's not just a bar a day.

#134833 11/24/04 02:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...and you should remember this: two pounds of anything will kill a one-pound rat.

[back on topic?]

#134834 11/25/04 03:32 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you, tsuwm.
Okay, one thing: this month will be over in six days (counting today, which there is still a fair amount left of, here); I probably ought to have done this sooner, but. I was a bit belated in realizing that perhaps some of the people who had a bad experience(s) here might not have wanted to post about it. I hereby invite any or all of them to send to me privately about it.

I am genuinely concerned about this--meaning that I really want to know, if a bunch of people have been unhappy. But so far, I am aware of only one person who has widespread complaints. (I am keeping in mind that there is a difference between having a negative experience with one or two people and having one with several.) Thanks.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 718 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith