Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But not often does one see the wife's name first. My ex-wife, Marti Cline, and I were defrauded in a Truth in Lending Act violation and filed suit against the car dealership.

The attorney filed the case as "Martha Cline et ux vs. Springfield Toyota." I told him his Latin wasn't up to snuff and he just smiled and said, "We're here to win this case, not quibble over whether ux. means wife or the spouse of the other person." He was right and we did win the case. They actually changed the interest rate disclosure after we signed the paperwork. And they used a different typewriter!

TEd
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
They actually changed the interest rate disclosure after we signed the paperwork. And they used a different typewriter!
So helpful to have stupid criminals!

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Maritus is the common Latin word for husband.

oops! sorry - that's what an incomplete latin course will do to you!

J
veteran
veteran
J
sorry

That's not to say that Romans didn't say vir for husband, too, or on occasion.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Was this ex-wife a lawyer too TEd. That might explain why the attorney used her name first - it would have been the whole "colleague" thing.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Actually it was the order in which our names were listed on the bill of sale and Leonard (his name REALLY was Leonard Bernstein) was just having a bit of fun on what he assumed was a borderline frivolous lawsuit.

He was gobsmacked when they settled out of court for five times the maximum we could have been awarded had the case proceeded to trial. Of course at the time we were unaware of the forged documents, which we found out about during discovery.

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The OTHER Leonard Bernstein once said: "Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable."

#134192 10/21/04 12:49 AM
T
T
I want to know if there are words that describe
'acting like a wife' ie domestically-inclined
-acting like a husband (?)
-being submissive to a husband (or would the word 'submissive' by itself cover that base?)

When in doubt, let's go back to first principles.

It is only since the 1950's that women have enjoyed 'economic freedom', at least, 'economic freedom' of opportunity, in North America [or anywhere else in the world].

It is only since then that the concept of "women's liberation" took root anywhere in the world.

So, we should not expect to find a replacement for "uxorious" unless we look for a word which has emerged to describe the new paridigm since then.

I would argue that no such word has 'emerged'.

What this tells us, of course, is that words evolve in tandem with cultural realities, that our language is dynamic and not static.

This is where our 'prescriptionists' fail us. They are tied to what has been, every bit as much as a movie star of the silent screen who has been left behind by the 'talkies'.

Our language does not sit still, any more than our culture and our cultural values "sit still".

Obviously, we need a new word in our language to describe a woman who is married who is the equal or the superior of her mate. Not a pejorative term like "termagant", but a word which expresses our real-world modern reality.

Looking for a latin root, rooted in the past, seems an unlikely place to look for such a word, wouldn't you say?

#134193 10/21/04 01:50 AM
T
T
Our "prescriptionists" are nothing more than toadies of the tomb.

Who are these 'prescriptionists', you say?

They are the olicarps, my friends.

Show me a "prescriptionist", and I will show you an olicarp.

#134194 10/21/04 02:17 AM
T
T
Show me a "prescriptionist", and I will show you an olicarp

They are nothing more than vivified statuary --- which flatters them, actually.

They are more like vivified monuments.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 743 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith